It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know of a good "work at home" job?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm asking because we have a huge number of members here and its a good source.
I'm looking for something that requires no investment. Also, i suppose it should be within the USA.
It can be telemarketing good products, typing manuscripts, anything that is honest and will pay.

No quick rich schemes, please.

Can anyone help? I've been all over the Internet (it feels like it) and they all sound questionable. I was hoping if anyone knows of a place who pays for services, be it Internet or telephone, you could help me.

thanks so much for your help!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I haven’t found one.

It seems there are plenty of offers for “work at home.” But they are all for groups like Amway.
BTW stay away from groups like Amway

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Amway/Ameriplan.......

Still, someone in this community should have something going that works.

Its worth a shot! Thanks.

I can be contracted too....any leads would be appreciated.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Depending on your resume, you can offer your services on Monster.com and the like.. even some writing websites. There were plenty of ads for typing up manuscripts, people needing others for dictation (listening to tapes and typing), even proof-reading/editting. But, like I said, you need credentials for people to choose you over others..

Likewise, depending on your hobbies, you can always turn to ebay. Unfortunately, the market is kinda squishy.. home-made things have to be really nifty to sell for a pretty penny.

Depending on what your personal interests are, you could always write articles.. sell them to various newspapers and magazines. I've heard travel is a good one.. but there too, writing about your town, or places you've been to, works just as well without actually having to get up and leave. How to's and general help articles are well-rounded enough to get in almost anywhere..

Of course, you could always try the companies around your area.. offer yourself as a data entry kind of person.. or an online consultant/helper.

I've debated licking envelopes.. but they always require some money up front, and I'm always too broke to take a chance with what few pennies I've managed to save..

Just a few ideas.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Thank you Diseria.

Yes, licking envelopes is risky now with the DNA and all.....

Seriously, i live in Cape Cod and nobody is hiring. For every ad in the paper, 10,000 people apply, unfortunatedly, they like to hire the 17 & 18 year olds.

I have a great resume and a not so good run of the mill resume. I apply accordingly. I am very presentable and have "good" interviews....so i think.....

Anyway, thank you, diseria. I will check around as to what you said. Thanks for trying to help.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
www.paidsurveysonline.com...

Does that help? I saw it on ATS Google Ads.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Thank you, Steve

I'll check it out!

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
A mom?

The pay isnt great, but you never have to go to an office

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
www.paidsurveysonline.com...

Does that help? I saw it on ATS Google Ads.

As always....

Today's Special Registration Price ONLY $34.95!

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Was thinking of trying the link provided for Paidsurveysonline... then I found this...

www.topsiteratings.com... YCFRgQOAodwXcuCg

Anyone and everyone seem to be making a "paid surveys" website now-a-days. Not that it is difficult to make one, it is just a matter of some basic skills and a few hours of time, and they are raring to go. Most of these websites have single most intent – to make you pay to be a member, so that they would render you the service of pointing you to other URL's, where you can find and fill out surveys that pay. If you fall for them, you will find that they lead you to URL's of companies that have long ceased to exist or to websites that would ask you to pay again to join their websites.

They do however, have recommended sites for taking surveys online, that offer money back guarantees.... I might try one of those...

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
here is the top recommended site for online surveys according to the link provided in my last post..

www.surveygain.com...

Disclaimer "Elevatedone, does not endorse or otherwise know anything about the companies or offers in links provided" "offered only as results from google searches".

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
One of my friends that left his job about 6 months ago, because of high priced daycare sells things on ebay. He does research on what items he can make profits on an then on Saturdays an Sundays he goes to about 20 garage sells and buys things real cheap he can sell on ebay. He says for every 25-30 dollars he spends at garage sells he makes about 200-250 dollars profit. He also charges insane amounts for shipping but people pay for it. I read in my Mens Fitness magazine last month that garage sell shopping for profit threw auction websites is one of the easiest and most profitable self owned business right now with little startup cost, behind only making a blogging website that gets huge and then make money of the advertisements. That was number one.........

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
For every ad in the paper, 10,000 people apply, unfortunatedly, they like to hire the 17 & 18 year olds.

I have a great resume and a not so good run of the mill resume. I apply accordingly. I am very presentable and have "good" interviews....so i think.....

I'm always willing to help! And if anything pans out, let us know! ..might have some competition! ,)

I haven't figured out why they like to hire younger people.. we never stick around long enough! (For the record, I'm 24.) Maybe because the company's know that they can get away with paying them crap? Slave labor kinda thing..

Anyhow, so WO's explained to me several times, the whole idea at this point is to sell yourself.. your resume I mean. Make a position for yourself and get them to realize how vital it is for *you* to fill that position. This requires a serious business-person's ideology.. selling ice to eskimo's and such. But.. in a market like this, where there's b.s. service jobs that no one wants, and very few good paying careers that everyone wants (but few get), then the only answer is to figure out how to nudge yourself in.

Personally, I'm not a good business-woman. I'm too honest, and don't care that much about money. (This is also why I'm broke.
)

My current ploy is to take old jewelry and re-fashion it. Take a few pairs of earrings and combine them into something new and original.. I like doing it, so it's fun for me. And if the right buyer comes along, totally sold that no one in the world has earrings like them... free (of no use to me) becomes profit (aka food in my belly)!

Another oddball thing is picture frames. Everyone has pictures, and they all want good looking frames. (Yeah, we pick up the cheap ones that are on sale, but they are very quickly discarded when a good one comes along..) Garage sales are good for that, but if you can make or come up with frames that are hand-made/hand-decorated and look good.. (picture being totally optional, but could very well be handy).. people pay good money for those.

Seasonal crap goes well.. painting ceramics for the various holidays. You can pick 'em up at walmart or online for cheap, then re-paint them and sell them for big bucks. People love that holiday junk.. (have yet to figure out why, but *lots* of money is spent in the name of this or that holiday..)

As you can tell, I'm a crafts person. Don't know if you are.. but, like I said, I like helping.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Diseria,

Thanks for all the tips. I know they like to hire young because they are "trainable"
Older people are more set in their ways and they dont like that.:shk:

Hey, those are some cool crafts you do. I'm very crafty too! Who knows, maybe i will get into something like that- Like i said, the problem is Cape Cod does not have any "corporate" businesses. This is all resort and everything closes in the fall. My husband has a job
but i love to have my own money. I always did.

Elevatedone, Thanks! I'll be looking at all those links today! Thanks so much for all your help. Let me know if you make some $$$--

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Depending type of work you want. The most money for easy quick starters are
cafepress: if creative enough this will turn a decent partial paycheck each month.

Pharmacy associate sites: you site up url and hosting make your own markup and you will recieve a decent paycheck with proper research and promotion/adverts.

EBAY: seller accounts can be set up very easy paypal is fast ccnow is reliable for recieving payment. I have bought and sold corp computers and made a vert large mark up.

Depending on ability,and your money goal it can be done fairly easy.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I do know my husband has recieved an average of $10 a month from NFO surveys. I decided to try some more survey sites that were recommended from another person. I signed up for 7 so far, and I hope they turn out all right. I didn't pay anything to join them.

The one I doubt I'll get any survey's from, since I wasen't willing to give out a unique identification number such as a SS# or drivers license#.

The surveygain site has caught my attention. If I could sign up for a bunch of different survey sites that actually pay, I think I would stand to make a little extra money. If anyone has tried them, please let us know if they are any good or not. At least send me a U2U.

I have been trying to google them, but so far I only found other referral sites and a thread that no longer exists. If I find anything, I'll post.

Envelope stuffing is a scam for sure. I lost good money on that. This is what happened to me. I bought into it. I recieved the information telling me to replicate what they sent to me. Basically resell that information by placing ads. I have heard others have you place ads asking the people to send a dollar and a self addressed stamped envelope for the information. It is a ripoff.

If you really want to stuff things, then either find a job at a local newspaper that doesn't have a stuffing machine. Yes, they are still out there. Where I use to live our local paper had people stuff the papers with ads.

Or more likely look into getting into mail order. There are probablly various ways to do so. One is to get into an MLM type company, advertise their product, and have people send you a SASE, and you can send them more information about your product/opportunity with a contact number. I know one company sent me a thick book of all hype about the company that was obvisouly made by the company. This person just had you call and leave your name, number and address on the voice mail box. You could possibly sell an information product that way.

Doing this online, would be going the affiliate route. There is money to be made if you know how to market and get people to see your site. I read about it, but never have the unction or drive to do it. Take your favorite hobby or thing to do. Make a small site about it. It could be anything from your favorite line of clothes, makeup, to how to play the best round of golf. Write up some informaional articles about what you like, tips and tricks you know and have learned over the years, links to other informational sites about the same thing, and basically make it a hub for that particular thing. Then go to affiliates either directly or through places like commission junction and place affiliate ads on the site. Then market like crazy.

You may have seen selling SMC. That is a ligt company, and you can make money with them if you can target the right people, and are good at sales. They do have some very good products. I would have bought some of the items myself, if I had the money to do so and the room to put them somewhere. I love the angels and animals they had when I was with them. I tried, but I don't live in the right area. You can either sell the items at retail or wholesale prices. The only other possible drawback is that there are constantly more and more people selling the exact same items, since they are constantly advertising for more and more sales people.

My mom is an antique dealer for over 20 years. Her and my dad faced cutbacks, layoffs, and jobs that really didn't pay the bills. How they started was she had a love for collectables and antiques and is a natural packrat. They started by going to yard sales, picking up items, and reselling those items at fleamarkets. As they did this more and more often, they went from flea markets to antique shows. They read up on pricing and what was what. For awhile she owned a store, but it wasen't is a good location. She went back to the shows. She also did some appraising and estate sales. Now they only do shows, but have added artifical fruits. They found a wholesaler that has the best artifical fruits that I have ever seen in my entire life. The fruit looks real. The only way I know it isn't is by picking it up. Very lightweight.

I guess to make money at a home business or self employment, we need to figure out what we love to do, want to do, and are willing to do. Then we need to find a nitch market in that area. Once we are able to do that, we can make some money.

Some of the stories I read are inspireing. One man went to his local music store and bought all their bargin bin music CD's for $2.00 to $5.00, and put them on ebay starting at 99 cents each. He said he usually got store prices for them, unless he happened to pick up ones that were more rare or couldn't be found in other areas of the country.

Another story I read was a lady who took her passion and know how for making candles and turned it into a business making special candles that could look like anything from a dolphin to an old fashioned Icecream soda.

There is another lady who homeschools her kids. She now sells cirriculum books to other homeschoolers.

I think for most of us it is trying to figure out how to take what we know and love to do and turn it into something you can make money with.

I got this idea from watching the home and gardening TV. I love the home improvement shows. I have seen so many times where they take an old table, repaint it, sometimes put decorations on it, or spraypaint a design with stencils, and the piece comes out beatuifully. Where they can take some old pieces of boards, use wood from broken down furniture, and/or even doors to remake it into something else such as shelves, tables, or cabnets. If you were good enough with hamering and creativity, you could haul away for free broken furniture, go to scrap yards, and etc and get free wood. Make unique peices of furniture to sell. I'm not good enough, and don't have the space to do anything like that though.

As I said sometimes the hard part is how you can make money with what you love to do. Sometimes you don't love to do anything, and are wondering what you would just like to do and be happy doing.

Good luck with finding something.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Thanks for all your help.

I tried the survey route but all i got so far was tons of trojan horse viruses and i had to bring my son in to run something to clean up the mess. Be careful, make sure you have lots of protective software when you do this.

Cafe place is awesome, i really like it- now if i could just figure out how to put the pictures, etc on the items, ...i am going to give that a try.

Mystery lady, envelope stuffing-
Never! You're right, its all a scam.

I think its sad that i have to look for something on the internet while there are jobs out there i am perfectly capable of doing. I'm not some old fart, i'm in my 40's and very capable- and have all my marbles, (most days)

Here where i live, you can get a job if you know someone, and i dont know anyone in business here for themselves. I will keep trying.
I appreciate all your help, everyone of you!

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
hi dgtempe/

How good are you with children?
I'm not sure about the laws in the U.S, but an option would be to look after a few children in your own home(depending on age)or you can offer to take children to school and pick them up from school till their parents pick them up(lol, make sure the parents arrive!)
Read them stories,play games and have fun!
It would probably mean that you will have to have public liability insurance....maybe a bit too costly.

Really depends on what your good at!

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Helen, that is a great idea. I havent done it with children, but i have done it with a mentally challenged girl for 2 years. Unfortunatedly, that is about the time we moved to Arizona for 2 years....As far as children are concerned, i'd be very afraid to do that in the U.S. The way things are, i'd be afraid of a lawsuit or something (all the child would have to do is fall down and i could end up in jail) even worse.
I could do it, i have kids and am a good mother and caring, but it just doesnt sit well with me taking care of a child in this day and age. You also have to be liscenced and must have a large home, etc.
Its a good idea, but a risky one now, i think.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Helen, that is a great idea. I havent done it with children, but i have done it with a mentally challenged girl for 2 years. Unfortunatedly, that is about the time we moved to Arizona for 2 years....As far as children are concerned, i'd be very afraid to do that in the U.S. The way things are, i'd be afraid of a lawsuit or something (all the child would have to do is fall down and i could end up in jail) even worse.
I could do it, i have kids and am a good mother and caring, but it just doesnt sit well with me taking care of a child in this day and age. You also have to be liscenced and must have a large home, etc.
Its a good idea, but a risky one now, i think.

hey!
I thought of doing this myself, but as you said Quote/''The way things are, i'd be afraid of a lawsuit or something (all the child would have to do is fall down and i could end up in jail) even worse..
That is why i never ended up doing this!
It would probably be the same with having children picked up from school, anything happens, your liable to get sued.
:shk:
What about doing some craft work or ,'do you enjoy cooking''?
Could try make something interesting that a small buisness(eg/bakery or cake shop)would be interested in selling your stuff?
Or work with a charity to get TAX cut off?
Make a donation and receive payments?

i'm thinking ...

helen

top topics

<<   2 >>

join