It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fantastic pics and description of N.Korea

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bombers8

Originally posted by craig732
There are a lot of people in this world who are much worse off then people in North Korea and would gladly trade places with them.

Crock of crap. Name one person who would "gladly" go to North Korea to live.

[source] en.wikipedia.org... The 2006 Horn of Africa food crisis is an acute shortage of food affecting four Horn of Africa countries: Somalia, Kenya, Djibouti and Ethiopia. The United Nations's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimated on January 6, 2006, that more than 11 million people in these countries may be affected by an impending widespread famine, largely attributed to a severe drought, and exacerbated by military conflicts in the region. [/source]

I realize the Wikipedia is not always the best source for information, but if you go to their page you can link to their sources which do seem reliable.

If faced with the choice of starvation AND war in their own country, or just starvation in North Korea, I think some of the people in these countries might pick just starvation.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yeah there's huge starvation in Africa but it's more because of environmental change, drought, etc. In NK they dig up agricultural crops that could feed their people in order to plant opium poppies to create heroin to raise hard cash from the industrialized nations to fund weapons programs.

I can't believe anyone could defend the North Korean regime.

[edit on 7/10/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

nor me mate.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Are you referring to me?

If you are, I don't recall defending the North Korean regime.

I was pointing out that there are places that are worse off than North Korea.

Apparently some people here disagree. That is what makes Above Top Secret a diverse and wonderful place. People that disagree about things can present their views and read other people's views.

Originally posted by bombers8
Crock of crap.

It is sad that some people can't present their views and opinions without being insulting.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by craig732]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by quango

i think it looks nice there - peaceful and quiet.

You have awarded quango the "way above award for looking at the world through rose colored glasses".

Are you for real with that post? A mausoleum also has that nice peaceful and quiet look - for just about the same reason as north korea does.

I saw a film the other night on the news that had been recently smuggled out of north korea. It showed 3 people being executed in a public field with children forced to watch. Their "crime"? Having contact with the outside world.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

There are a lot of people in this world who are much worse off then people in North Korea and would gladly trade places with them.

You get awarded the same "rose colored glasses award" with a "naivity oak leaf cluster".

Here's a high-tech way to evaluate the situation in north korea.

Earth at night

You can find north korea by the fact that while the rest of the populated areas of the earth are ablaze with light, north korea is dark.

[edit on 7/10/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I saw a film the other night on the news that had been recently smuggled out of north korea. It showed 3 people being executed in a public field with children forced to watch. Their "crime"? Having contact with the outside world.

thats awfull dude?

i dont suppose you can remember where you saw this or which news agency posted it, id be interested to know?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It was on local evening news (Reno, NV) over the weekend. Sorry, but that's all I recall - except the horror and disgust of the scene, and now add those that seem to think north korea would be a great picnic or vacation spot.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It looks quiet alright.

Physically dirty, and spiritually sterile.
Hey, lets auction it off on E-bay!
Reserve= 10, maybe 20 dollars?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

That is rather shocking. Can anybody else see this film? Or is it a privilage to you?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

now add those that seem to think north korea would be a great picnic or vacation spot.

i would like to visit the actual country for what it looks like and maybe an insight into the culture of the actual people, i know that everything seen there as a tourist is censored- you cant put the horror aside but that doesnt make the place not worth a look if the troubles could be resolved?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
It was on local evening news (Reno, NV) over the weekend. Sorry, but that's all I recall - except the horror and disgust of the scene, and now add those that seem to think north korea would be a great picnic or vacation spot.

I've been veging out over the news for two weeks now(extended holiday). And I haven't seen anything like this. Have you been fed propaganda?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
I've been veging out over the news for two weeks now(extended holiday). And I haven't seen anything like this. Have you been fed propaganda?

Vegging for only 2 weeks? Information like this has been coming out of north korea for years. But you're ready to believe the reported suffering of these people is "propaganda". I suggest you might do a little more research.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

got to admit dude, im turning up loads of info on the atrocities ongoing in N.Korea from a wide range of sources..its looking pretty grim..

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Yes, there's even been reports of cannibalism out of NK...but it's hard to really know what's real and what's fake propaganda.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
North Korean citizens trying to climb into American consulate in China pretty much sums up how grim it is in North Korea.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

It may be true that there are some places worse off than NK, but it's because of natural reasons, not a crazy oppressive gov't.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

It may be true that there are some places worse off than NK, but it's because of natural reasons, not a crazy oppressive gov't.

Agreed. I wasn't condoning or explaining the reason for the poor living conditions there.

My wife's family lives in Jamaica. Her grandmother lives with 4 other adults in a one bedroom house (I use the term "house" lightly; "shack" would probably be a better description.) They have no electricity ALL of the time, no indoor plumbing, no telephone, no food other then what my wife and I send and what they can grow in a tiny garden. In my opinion they are worse off than the majority of the people in North Korea.

I spent a year in Sudan in 1997-1998 and I can say from experience that at that time the people of Sudan were MUCH worse off than the North Koreans. Given a choice I would take famine, oppression, and peace over famine and war.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Given a choice I would take famine, oppression, and peace over famine and war.

So what you are saying is that you would take being starved to death and beaten to death over starving to death and being blownup. Hell of a choice to make, but you still die either way.

You are missing one point with your anecdotal evidence. Any attempt by members of your family to watch CNN does not mean a bullet to the back of the . if caught. Plus have you ever heard of a Potemkin village. The NK have one,Gijeong-dong Sounds like the NK went out of their way to ensure that their guests only saw that which was good, not real.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

The world's highest flag tower stands at the entrance of Gijeong-dong (330 meters tall) flying a 300lb North Korean flag. This tower was not originally as tall as it is now, but when the flag pole in Daeseong-dong was extended, thus making it taller than the Gijeong-dong pole, the North again quickly extended their pole taller. However, due to the weight of the flag, the pole would not be able to support it if it becomes wet, hence the immediate lowering of it when it begins to rain. Note: In the late 1970's South Korean President Chun Doo-hwan offered a US$500,000 bounty to anyone who could remove the North Korean flag from the Gijeong-dong flagpole and deliver it to the Blue House in Seoul.

Ok..whos up for nicking their flag?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join