Some Good News in Iraq

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Semper one of my sons just got back from his second tour in Iraq and he tells me things are getting better. He claims we in the states get a biased view of the whole situation through the media.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Make sure that you pass on to him from me, that I am PROUD of him!!!!

Tell him Semper Fi

Semper

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Your right!!!!!!!! My friend family member said the same thing. But it still a work in progress.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Here is a great read and a very positive update from a Colonel on the Groung in Iraq.

www.defenselink.mil...

It is a long briefing or I would have included some snippets.

It is well worth the read though.

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
When I stop hearing every single week about new war crimes committed by American soldiers, when I stop hearing about bombings, kidnappings and slaying every friggin day, when Haliburton and friends are removed from Iraq, THEN I will say things are getting better.

Until then, I dont see any evidence to support anything improving anywhere in the middle east.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Of course you don't.

I have read your posts and comments and do not expect you too.

However for those of you that do, there is more good news on the way tonight.

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
He right though once those thing are resolved thing are headed in a much better direction. Once I see that they we can see how thing go.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The Ministry of Interior at a glance

The Ministry of Interior is responsible for the recruiting, training, equipping
and managing of more than 152,000 uniformed personnel in the Iraqi
Police Service, the Civil Intervention Force, the Emergency Response Unit, the
Department of Border Enforcement, the Bureau of Dignitary Protection, and the
National Police Forces.
By the end of 2006, the Ministry will have more than 188,000 trained and
equipped police offi cers protecting the Iraqi people

Moving along even through the insurgent activity and violence.

Iraqi Forces capture insurgent in Mosul
MOSUL — Soldiers from the 2nd Iraqi Army Division conducted
an early-morning raid in Mosul July 18, capturing an insurgent
cell member.
The cell member is believed to have been involved in emplacing
improvised explosive devices in the area. Seven other individuals
were also captured during the operation.

There is lots more, but this is a small sample of what is happening each and everyday.

Keep the Faith

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
It's all to easy to blame outside insurgents when in reality it's a religious civil war.
Things will get better when one faction exterminates the other and takes control of the government. Then all they will have to worry about are the Kurds that aren't to happy with either the Sunni's or Shiite's. To look at the Mid East thru western eyes and to expect a western style result is not only arrogant but ethnocentric as well.

Tribal dynamics don't translate well in western cultures view of the world. No matter how much we want the rest of the world to see things our way; they don't.

There is a way to facilitate peace, but force of arms isn't it.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by whaaa]

[edit on 26-7-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I must admit that I agree with the basis of your post.

I have often considered the postulate that it is our inability to understand a culture so foreign to ours, that we place ourselves in a conundrum with our good intentions.

I do not believe that we can ever truly prevail, yet the honor is in the struggle. At least from a warrior's point of view.

Thank you for your view. It has given me more to contemplate.

Semper

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I do not believe that we can ever truly prevail, yet the honor is in the struggle. At least from a warrior's point of view..

Semper

I have a question, semperfortis. Do you view the fighters, that believe our forces are invading forces in their sovereign land are honorable also. Are the deaths from collateral damage or otherwise innocent bystanders caught up in a conflict not of their choosing; Are their deaths honorable? Is there honor in being orphaned?

It is so easy to characterize our opponents "bad guys" or "killers" and try and dehumanize them and their struggle. This mid East war is so complicated that I feel even MidEastern scholars are shooting in the dark, and simplifying it to"good guy, bad guy" scenarios, is certainly no way to even approach peace or even a settlement.

Pandora's box has been opened, and generations to come will have to deal with the evil that has been unleashed.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I also take issue with the "warrior's point of view." To me, that has been the reason for our ineffectiveness in Iraq. I once wrote an incredibly lengthy piece about the mentality our troops have, and its a mentality that is thuroughly unsuitable in this day and age and for the type of war we are fighting.

In order to prevail in Iraq, we cannot think like warriors. We have to think like salesmen. In modern warfare, victory is no longer military or even economic, its psychological and political. It is our ability to convince the Iraqi people of our good intentions that determines whether we win or not. We have done absolutely nothing to ensure this will happen. All we've done is live off a reputation that was earned 60 years ago in World War II and simply assume everyone would buy into the legend and the hype once again.

But the world has changed. Time as changed. Our thinking, unfortunately, has not.

And, of course, when it comes to fighting, we have to be destroyers. We have to be able to stop judging and start killing. When that insurgent shoots at you, shoot back as if it wasn't anything. Don't enjoy it, don't hate it. Just do it.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Well to answer both of your posts, I can only relate to you from the "warrior" point of view. For no statesman am I.

All Soldiers, all "True" Warriors, live and fight by a code of honor. Certain standards are never violated. Civilian casualties are kept to a minimum, enemy combatants are your focus and the only legitimate target, aid and care givers are hands off, etc.

The Warriors in Iraq that fight for their beliefs and follow these mandates, are to be considered the enemy yes, but an honorable enemy. We don't hate them, we simply must stop them. The homicide bombers on the other hand go against all that true warriors believe in. They are NOT to be given honor.

Again, only an old war horse point of view.

Thanks for the posts, there is much to be considered on this.

Semper

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Snippets from:

Colonel John Tulley, who is the commander of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team 4th Infantry Division. He assumed command of that unit in May of 2005, but took the unit to Iraq in November of '05, and assumed an area of responsibility at the beginning of this year assigned to Multinational Division Baghdad. He has approximately 3,400 members of his brigade.

WARNING!!!!! This is a VERY positive interview and those refusing to see the truth may be offended!!!!

Although I have many challenges, I can tell you I have more good days than bad days. We have made real progress in my area of operations, and I remain optimistic it will continue. Why am I optimistic? I have an extensive area of operations, and I could not accomplish the mission without the efforts of the Iraqi police and Iraqi army. I have to rely on my Iraqi partners. And training Iraqi security forces have been my main effort since we moved into Iraq in December, and we have made tangible progress, particularly with the Iraqi army.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First, my battalion that operates in this area, 2-8 Infantry, has done tremendous work getting the Sunni and Shi'a leadership -- that's both community and tribal, the sheikhs -- to commit to the community, commit to a civic society vice a sectarian society by being tough when they need to be need tough, but helping generate jobs, train the Iraqi security forces, support the local government councils, treat Iraqis with respect. It has paid dividends. They have helped start an agricultural union, a co-op, and they have another one in the works in Iskandariyah, which is in the center of the Sunni-Shi'a fault line. We have helped generate approximately 350 jobs in an industrial complex. So 2-8 Infantry has generated hope in this town.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
American tax dollars have also improved the central services, with construction of water treatment plants, road repair, electrical distribution lines, new IP stations and Iraqi police equipment, new Iraqi army facilities and equipment, repair of schools, et cetera. However, this country was so neglected, it will take many years and billions of dollars to meet basic needs of the Iraqi citizens.
www.defenselink.mil...

The funny thing is that those that are proclaiming that there is only negative out there, are not in anyway looking for the good. If they were, I would not be the only one finding the positive happenings in Iraq.

I accept that there are negatives there. Lord knows I'm deluged with them on here everyday. Yet the truth is never one sided and I refuse to be like the majority of people, even on here, and "wallow" in what the mainstream media feeds me and "jump" on the band wagon.

So, enjoy some good news.

Semper

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Not if that is all your looking for no.

That is the point exactly, if all you want to find, you can find the same or worse here in the United States.

You have supported my position perfectly. If you are subject to the "Mind Control" of the current media, then of course you will focus on the links you provided. Exactly

If however, you choose to keep an open mind and understand that Iraq is not "Never Never" land, just like the United States, and never will be, just like the United States; that they will have problems there entire existence, then you can crawl out of the hole that The Olympian, The Washington Post and all the other extremely violence oriented rags have pushed you into.

True research is enlightening and MUST, absolutely MUST take into consideration both sides to any issue. Research must also be done independently and not influenced by the MASSIVE negativity reflected and nourished by those that only feed at the bowl of news forums such as you have provided.

It is all a matter of principle.

Semper

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I heard this to now it harder to see if any progress is going to made now. I mean there are some good thing happening but now. It got bad and I feel what happening to Iran and stuff is going to effect Iraq in one point or an other. When that happen who know.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Not if that is all your looking for no.

OK, fair enough. But I think you miss the obvious. What is the relative weight of each side of this situation??? The fact that there is some positive news is not the same as saying that it outweighs the bad...

That is the point exactly, if all you want to find, you can find the same or worse here in the United States.

You're kidding right? Kindly show me where in the US a 100+ every day are being blown up in ethnic conflict.

If you are subject to the "Mind Control" of the current media, then of course you will focus on the links you provided. Exactly

Mind control? Yup...Never mind those NeCONs behind the curtain.

If however, you choose to keep an open mind and understand that Iraq is not "Never Never" land, just like the United States, and never will be, just like the United States;

The comparison is ridiculous...
Do you actually believe the stuff you post?

True research is enlightening and MUST, absolutely MUST take into consideration both sides to any issue. Research must also be done independently and not influenced by the MASSIVE negativity reflected and nourished by those that only feed at the bowl of news forums such as you have provided.

It is all a matter of principle.

Semper

:shk: Simply repeating your post is rebuttal enough...

[edit on 30-7-2006 by loam]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You're kidding right? Kindly show me where in the US a 100+ every day are being blown up in ethnic conflict.

117 Deaths Each Day

Here's a pop quiz. Rank the following in order of the number of American lives they claim in a typical year: food, guns, terrorists, flu and cars.

Ready? The most deadly are automobiles, which kill 117 Americans a day, or nearly 43,000 a year. Then comes flu, which (along with pneumonia, its associated disease) kills 36,000 people. Third is guns: 26,000 deaths. Fourth, food-borne illness: 5,000. And finally, terrorism, which in a typical year claims virtually no U.S. lives — with horrific exceptions like 2001. But antiterrorism efforts get most of the attention and the resources.

To a point, that's sensible. The train bombings in Madrid are a reminder of our vulnerability. President Bush is right to emphasize the risk from W.M.D., because a single nuclear bomb could claim 500,000 lives.

Does it make you feel better that it is not ethnic violence that causes these deaths? I submit to you that the dead could care less.

As for the remainder of your post, it is blatantly apparent that either you failed to understand the point of unprejudiced research, or chose to negate that in order to further substantiate your comment in some way.

Semper

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Nice try, but even my feeble neurons can appreciate the difference between deaths caused by automobile accidents and those by war...

"unprejudiced research" indeed...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join