It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr Stephen Hawking needs your help!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
He has just posed a question on Yahoo Answers.

answers.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AtjblpXOSMXPaKrJ2N9lui8jzKIX?qid=20060704195516AAnrdOD

Here is the question he posed.

In a world that is in chaos politically, socially and environmentally, how can the human race sustain another 100 years?

Apparently this IS the real deal. Lot's of answers given too it appears, over 15,000 answers approximately.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That question is a legit one no matter who posted it, not that i believe that Hawkings did post that.

Personally, i'm a huge fan of faith.
I have faith in humanity. I have faith that although i cannot give a definite answer, that humanity will survive, will win through no matter what is thrown at it, all one has to do is believe.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well according to Yahoo Answers themselves, it is legit(I emailed them b4 I posted). Go ahead, email them yourself it was apparently arranged(with money possibly exchanging hands), I sense a publicity stunt IMO.

BTW Faith isn't enough. Faith can cause people to literally sit on their hands and continue to shoot off pointless rhetoric out of their mouth while things continually worsen.

We need concrete plans implemented by dedicated people. The former seems to be lacking atm...

[edit on 6-7-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
?

Since the world has allways been in chaos, and that today it is in a less chaotic state than normal.....why should the question need any sort of answer?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I don't know if Hawking is behind that particular post, but he has publicly asked and talked about this kind of thing before. His view (and he isn't the only one) is that the human race is headed towards self destruction unless we change.

I think the bottom line is that people need to quit being so selfish, and exploiting their neighbours all the time. War is the other big problem. Get rid of those two (yeah, right...) and we should last until the sun swells into a red giant.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Out of Chaos Comes Order

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   

In a world that is in chaos politically, socially and environmentally, how can the human race sustain another 100 years?

And how many 100 years have this world been like this ?

Im sure we will last more than a century, but still we need to end petty differences that creats conflicts. Also there should be a ban on mixing politics and religion.. i know some countries will not like this, but religion should be separated from politics.

Thanks for the word

[edit on 7-7-2006 by SilverSurfer]

Dont get me wrong. im not saying ban religions, all im aying is that religion should be a separate spiritual entity. Not to be used for political propaganda or warmongering. Also since politics and religion now are separated, there should be freedom of choise of religion. This would be a good start toward peace i believe.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I think that Stephen Hawking is not just worried about the planet Earth but of the human race as well. If we do not become more responisble for our actions and our planet. The human race will be bring their trash and their irresponisble behaviour to the universe. The devil does exist, we are it.

Poor Universe, I wonder if it can survive the human race .... whahahaa

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Mr Hawkins was on tv and something like this was being talked about. Is it a test of somekind? It must be- he would know the answer. He probably wants humanity to think for once.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
?

Since the world has allways been in chaos, and that today it is in a less chaotic state than normal.....why should the question need any sort of answer?

The previous chaotic states that the world has been in haven't had the ability to
1. Change the environment to the extent that we can now.
2. Use weapons that are able to destroy as many people in one shot as the ones we have today.
3. Communicate instantly to allert allies across the world that they need to use their weapons.

Of course some believe that previous civs did have these, and were destroyed as well.
I believe that these previous civs did exactly what we're doing now, and are already where we intend to go.
I think he's getting at the whole extra-terrestrial colonization thing.

Edit: This actually makes me worried. I'm willing to bet that the reason Hawking is pushing this whole space colony thing is because he's getting old, and there's less and less time for him to see it in his lifetime. He probably assumed he'd see it in his lifetime, just as I do. I now actually wonder if I'll see it in mine.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Things will get better for the human race, I can't say why or how we will achieve this but I feel that we will. But before they get better they're probably gonna get a whole lot worse. Sometimes though I do wonder what makes us so special that we should survive. I mean, it's not like we're fighting the good fight against some sort of world wide killer disease, there's not really a big external threat to mankind. It's us, were our own worst enemy, we're wiping out our brothers and sisters and taking great pleasure in doing so.

We rape the planet on a daily basis, we spit in each others faces because we don't understand or agree with each other, we use and abuse people who are at their most desperate times of need, the less somebody has the more they get abused. We kill strangers in the middle of the street over an argument about football teams, our sexuality, the colour of our skin and the colour of our clothes, our postal codes, who we pray to, even looking at some people the wrong way can see you laying sprawled out in the street in a pool of blood. We're still animals at the core.

But with that said, there's also a lot of good people in this world. It's just that the modern world has developed in such a way that if you are not greedy or if you don't use people then you will become one of the used and abused. It's a horrible catch 22 situation. If you're kind to someone often enough, chances are that somewhere down the line that person will take you're kindness for weakness and they will exploit you. It leaves you going into every situation asking "what's in this for me"

It's only when every person in the world has to ask themselves that question and arrive at the same answer, their survival as an individual and as a species, it's only then that we will begin to repair the damage we have done.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Stephen Hawkings is an alien and should know!
His condition is a result of a failed attempt to look human. He is trying his best to push us away from oblivion and move us into space without actually admitting his true alien identity.

I wish our govenrments would take what he says seriously. We need to spread out before will kill each other. Mars looks to be a perfect planet for Osama and his followers!
Yea no oxygen there...that is the point.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Stephen Hawkings is an alien and should know!

Wait...could you please go into detail for that one? Or does it require another seperate topic?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
?

Exactly. Humanity will survive another hundred or thousand years. Our current political systems and civilizations will eventually collapse. That is the nature of all things. But from the ashes new civilizations and systems will arise.

In fact, there have been far worse times in history than now. The collapse of the Roman Empire was one of the darkest and most disasterous events in history for all people in the affected areas. Yet civilization kept chugging along.

So we will survive. There might be some great cataclysim that reduces our numbers and destroys civilization as we know it. But life goes on, as life has been going on for the past 500 million years.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have the utmost respect for Dr. Hawkings but I think he is wrong on this one.
I 100yrs. mankind, due to lack of natural resources, will have reverted to barber ism, tribalism and utter anarchy. Civilization will be a distant memory.
If you look closely and study contemporary culture, you can see the beginnings of the end.

It will be great!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hawkings did pose a very good question. I think the answer is no, it won't survive at the rate we are going, at least not the way we live now. The problem with the political chaos and social chaos is the simple fact that people don't scare as easily anymore. We have nations rising up, unafraid to use nukes. Our societies don't impose harsh enough punishments on criminals and so the severity of crimes keeps escalating. What's to stop the chaos from building and forming a huge, ugly head and finally popping? It very well could end life as we know it.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
1. Change the environment to the extent that we can now.

We can't change the envrionment to the point that we can't survive. Global warming won't destroy the planet or man, it will change the planet, and it will kill many people, but not destroy man.

2. Use weapons that are able to destroy as many people in one shot as the ones we have today.

The situation during the cold war was far worse. Now, if there is a nuclear war between two nations, say india and pakistan, millions will die, but there won't be the same sort of exchange as between the US and Soviet arsenals. Even the arsenals held by Russia and the US today are smaller than at the height of the cold war. If, say, a coalition of middle eastern states hit the US with a nuke or two, and the US responded with a full scale nuke attack, then the middle east will be destroyed, but not the rest of the world, humanity would survive.

I think he's getting at the whole extra-terrestrial colonization thing.

Seems like it. Its a good issue to press. At the start of the new millenium, with a sole super-power dominating the world, we shouldn't have to be engaged in guerilla warfare in a land stuck in the dark ages. Kennedy sent men to the moon a generation ago, we should at least have large orbital 'settlements', or even moon settlements, by now.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The Overlord has answered.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Simple answer...

We WONT !

Is it too hard to accept ?....LOL

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I would have to agree with Nygen. If we can survive the last 50 years, where we were our own worst threat, I think our chances are good at surviving another hundred years. And now with 6.5 billion people, our chances of survival are pretty good for just about any catastrophe, short of huge asteroid.

The climate will change, and we will use up all the oil, but we will adapt and change.

Dang, they're up to 17,000 now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join