It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean missile targeted Hawaiian Islands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Analysis of the trajectory of the Taepodong-2
missile fired by North Korea on the Fourth of July indicate that it was aimed at the Hawaiian Islands. This is reported by the Japanese daily newspaper, Sankei, and based upon analysis by Japanese and US defense officials.

www.jpost.com
North Korea targeted waters near Hawaii when it fired a long-range missile this week, a Japanese newspaper reported Friday.

The long-range Taepodong-2 was part of a barrage of seven missiles test-fired by North Korea on Wednesday. They all fell harmlessly into the Sea of Japan, but South Korean officials said the long-range missile had malfunctioned, suggesting it was intended for a more remote target.

Japan's conservative mainstream daily Sankei said that Japanese and US defense officials have concluded that the Taepodong-2 had been targeted US state of Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean, after analyzing data collected from their intelligence equipment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This news story is still breaking. But it represents a major escalation in the tensions between North Korea and the US. It is one matter to fire missiles into unihabited waters, yet another to target a sovereign country.

This may signal the end of N. Korea's "test firing" of missiles. We must now assume that any launch of a long-range missile is meant as a potential strike against the US. And we must seriously consider the option of neutralizing these missiles on the launch pad.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
If their missile had actually hit U.S. territory, we'd be in WWIII right now. Thank God it exploded like less than a minute after launch.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
You know... If Nuclear War broke out, I don't like the idea of me being a mile from NORAD. They'd want that taken out so we'd have trouble tracking missiles and such right? Meaning I'd be as good as dead. I guessed that since the short range hit off the coasts of Russia and Japan, that the long range would have landed toward the eastern pacific... looks like I was right in that it would be near U.S. soil, just not in the right direction.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hmm... if this analysis is true, the missles were probably meant to ditch near Hawaii- much in the same way North Korea previously shot missles over Japan (with no intent on actually striking a live target) - purely a political maneuver.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by DEFCON3]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
political manouver yes,
But isin't a missile hit to territorial waters an act of war? and breach of the truce agreement...?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I don't buy the targeting Hawaii

NK is just another poor country trying to make their presents known.

They only way to do it is with what will bother the world most.

Nuclear weapons capabilities.

I see NK like a littler insect in the middle of nowhere.

Cut the billions of tax American money that goes to them and lets see what money they will use to keep their program working.

NK depends heavily in foreign aid.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I don't buy the targeting Hawaii

NK is just another poor country trying to make their presents known.

They only way to do it is with what will bother the world most.

marg, are you using the "squeaky wheel" argument here?

Cut the billions of tax American money that goes to them and lets see what money they will use to keep their program working.

Already been done. Why do you think they are so p*ssed?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
political manouver yes,
But isin't a missile hit to territorial waters an act of war? and breach of the truce agreement...?

I would think so...we are still technically at war with NK, just in a cease-fire situation. If they were to hit U.S. territory (even our EEZ which extents 200 nmi off of Hawaii) I think it would break the armistice.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
They have not been cut off enough my friend when they still have money to buy fuel to test their weapons.

Weapon testing is not free.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Doesn't mean they aint getting the money from elsewhere. Or the support. Remeber, Iran and Pakistan have been suspected of lending a helping hand.

North Korea is attempting to provoke a reaction. They better be really careful because they might get a reaction, and not the one they want either.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Meanwhile, their people starve....

Why don't they want to join the community of nations? They need to get rid of that pot-bellied pig of a dictator.

But that is 20 years in the future, unless someone steps in to change things...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Meanwhile, their people starve....

Why don't they want to join the community of nations? They need to get rid of that pot-bellied pig of a dictator.

But that is 20 years in the future, unless someone steps in to change things...

Yeah,

I wonder in this case if military action is better than sanctions, on the one hand we have sanctions which will affect all the citizens of NK, brainwashed by continueous propaganda, controlled by a few who make the decisions for them. And on the other hand you have the military option, get rid of Kim and NK's way of living, problem solved. No more propaganda and isolation.

Am i correct? Or will it only make the area around NK more chaotic? (Think about Russia/China)

And about the Hawaii subject, can pointing a rocket towards Hawaii be considered as an act of war? After the 40 seconds it had reached nothing important, but the fact remains.

This is quite a delicate situation, for every action you make, something backfires.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
there is a more informative report
derived from the story from Japan's conservative mainstream daily "Sankei"

@ www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5935452,00.html
(put up your own http:// to complete the address)

The Hawaii 'speculation' originated from Unidentified Japanese & US officials
...i suspect this ad lib, unauthorized speculation about Hawaii,
came from the operators & analysts of the Aegis radar combat system and the
RC-135S electronic reconnaissance aircraft on the scene near Japan.

~more beating of the wardrums~

rum-pa-pum-rump-a-pum-pum-dum-de-dum-dum-----dum

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have always wondered why NK still exists...

it would seem that it would make the most likely target of a "bringing of freedom" type action...

Of course China has the influence needed to make anything happen in NK that it wants...

yet, they dont restrain them... why?

Could it be, that this rogue state isn't so much rogue, as agendized...

It sure seems to have saved our missle defense program, as well as sold a few systems to Japan.

Isn't that the whole point of a military industrial complex influencing policy to improve profit?

Sometimes we only see the public picture, not the behind the scenes one...
but we do see the affects.

and the affect here, is that the US arms dealers made a tidy profit, off the NK missle test...

and just how does Japan know that the NK missle was .ed to hawaii since it blew up just after launch?
It could have been set to self destruck at a certain distance to anywhere... since they wouldn't have wanted to accidentally set off WW3.

I suspect the statement, and the effect it will have...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I don't buy the Hawaii story. Lets face it, if you launch a long-range missle with the intention of dropping it in the ocean down range, that trajectory will eventually cross some land mass. And that assumes they could accuratelydetermine the missle's intended trajectory after only 40sec of less-than-stable flight. IMHO this situation, like most others, is being spun and whooped-up for political purposes. If we want to retaliate against NK I say we cut-off Lil Kim's supply of cognac --- purported to average around $750,000 per year. That'd teach em...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Let's all keep in mind that preliminary reports said that a piece actually fell off of the missile shortly after launch and before total failure. So it is entirely plausible that any trajectory data used to determine that the TD-2 was launched at Hawaii is clearly in error due to the altered aerodynamics associated with a crumbling missile.

If anyone has ever seen a failed missile launch there is a reason they put a bit of explosives in them to allow for the opportunity of a self-destruct. If you don't get a good launch attitude, the damned thing can come right back and land on the pad or even the control center. Untested, failing missiles can behave with a mind of their own.

If the missile's failure had caused it to list toward South Korea, or even back toward North Korea, would everyone be saying that NK was trying to kick off fresh fighting with South Korea? Would they say that Kim Jong Il was attempting to commit suicide by launching an ICBM at himself? Of course not. The only reason contentions are being made that the launch was aimed at Hawaii is that the accidental trajectory of a failing ICBM happened to support that claim and ratchet up animosity toward North Korea. It was convenient that it happened to point at Hawaii (though it is plausible that such a trajectory was intended), and politically it's even more convenient to use the failed trajectory as an argument supporting the dangerous nature of the NK regime.

I say pfft.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by chaosrain]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
You know... If Nuclear War broke out, I don't like the idea of me being a mile from NORAD.
We'll go up together Helmet, I'm about a mile from there as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

Of course China has the influence needed to make anything happen in NK that it wants...

yet, they dont restrain them... why?

Arms sales. Pure and simple. Give me another reason why China does what they do.

Could it be, that this rogue state isn't so much rogue, as agendized...

How do you define "rogue"? The pot-bellied pig continues to incite aggression. You want to defend him?

It sure seems to have saved our missle defense program, as well as sold a few systems to Japan.

Isn't that the whole point of a military industrial complex influencing policy to improve profit?

Oh, please. Profit motive? North Korea is a rogue nation, led by a fanatical dictator. To try to paint this as a profit scheme is ridiculous.

Sometimes we only see the public picture, not the behind the scenes one...
but we do see the affects.

and the affect here, is that the US arms dealers made a tidy profit, off the NK missle test...

I don't know who or if anybody made a "profit"on this, but to suggest that it is profit motivated is really silly.

and just how does Japan know that the NK missle was .ed to hawaii since it blew up just after launch?

They worked with the US to determine that. What possible defense can you put up for North Korea?

It could have been set to self destruck at a certain distance to anywhere...

Right..... they can't even launch a missile, much less aim it.

Mod Edit: BB Code

[edit on 7/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I am not trying to defend North Korea or The crazy little troll doll either...

merely trying to point out that all this missle testing is doing, is improving our overseas weapons sales...
it isn't really threatening us at all...

have you considered the worst possible outcome of a SUCCESSFUL launch?
zip, nada...
so they have a missle... and they sell it to bunches of other countries...

it still is hardly the basis for a overwhelming force is it?

so N korea decides to start a war, and sends about 100-200 missles our way (giving lots of benefit of the doubt here) so we knock down about half, and the other half fall by themselves...
the few come to land somewhere within 200 mile of the target...

so in essence... even the worst first strike they could produce would still pale in comparison to 9-11 losses... (and NK would be polished glass in response)
big whup!

So what i am saying is that the reason Kim still exists, is that he is really harmless, and a buddy of china...
so he becomes a tool, instead of a threat...

any less use of a toothless troll such as he, would be silly waste of our military industrial complexes influence, wouldn't it?

NK carries no threat to the USA directly, other than being Chinas whipping boy. When NK does eventually attack, it will be a intro for the Chinese attack following...

China is not ready and does not want a war with the USA, so that wont happen soon...

[edit on 7-7-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I would sure like to see any visual evidence that North Koreans are starving. I have seen quite a few images that show quite the contrary. Not only are they not starving, but the people living in the cities are pretty moderatley or well dressed as well.

Here is my theory. After World War 2 many of our consumer goods startd to originate from that side of the world. IMO, the same people who control the USA also control China, and henceforth North Korea. I honestly believe North Korea and even China are puppets in the bigger scheme of things. I mean the most successful fast food in China are American businesses. They produce a good lot of our stuffs for quite a low price. And whenever we need another distraction in the world North Korea is always there to blow steam and take the heat as well, funny how they almost never care and yet nothing ever happens to them beyond what is already in place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join