It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SG 552

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Anybody likes SG weapons especially 552 and 556? How does it compare to say M4?

552 is the best rifle for outdoor/country in my opinion.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Freeman]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I used to live on a ranch styled house in rural georiga we had about thirteen acres of land and the grass was a biatch to cut. we had a small stream that ran through our backyard, and we would go shooting down there since the sides provided a good backstop. If i had a choice on Sig guns to use on that kind of terrain i would ue the Sig 551 or Sig 552 they are MEAN looking and I love 5.56 weapons. I have fired the M4 and I rate i highly. Not once did it jam during the time I used it. But I have never shot the SIGs so i dont know about relialibility.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The M4 carbine I shot Jammed horribly. I think it depends on what model the gun is

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've used the 550 a bit, and it has been very reliable. The best part for me is that you can open up the gas tube if it starts to foul, and that takes a lot of shooting. Never had to do it yet. It also has a reliable AK type action, yet much more finely machined. Overall, I think I like it better than the M4, just because it doesn't crap gas and powder back into the chamber like the M4 to work the action. I guess I would sum it up as AK reliability with M4 accuracy. With the new 556 coming out with a MSRP of $1299 USD, I'd look for it to price about the same as a Bushmaster, which is one of the best AR types out there IMHO.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by hogtie]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The SiG 550 is a superb weapon, but I believe the 551 and certainly the 552 have sub 16 inch barrels that are illegal to own unless you are lucky enough to have a Class III license (obviously US only).

The 550 is also a pre-89 weapon, so you won't see any new ones thanks to Bush senior's import ban.

The new 556 will no doubt be a fine weapon, but it certainly isn't as attractive as a 551, Picatinny rails are a real buzz kill for aesthetics, at least to my jaundiced eye. It's also somewhat pricey and nearly twice the price of some AR15 based rifles.

I'd much rather have an Hk416, but apart from a few uppers that were accidentally released for sale (followed by unsupportable legal threats to return them to H&K), we will probably never get the chance to buy any.

top topics

join