It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

trouble finding something

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Evening everybody

Well I'm not sure if this is in the right catagory but it's about as close as I could get or rather figure out. So if it's in the wrong place, I do appologise.

Well here's the situation. My cousin is looking to open up a business that mods cars with body kits and such and he is looking for a program which would basically show his customers graphic representations of the mod parts and to be honest I'm too lazy to sit coding this program, so does anybody know of some sort of prefessional software suit which could be of use to him. I've tried google but come up with nothing, I'm seriously starting to think that this is a gap in the software market.

Anyway, thanks in advance to those who look and an even bigger thanks to those who post replies.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If its the custom built parts you want to show a customer.....Solidworks is the best choice IMO.

Solidworks is a 3D cad program for designing parts (and viewing in a 3d picture that you can rotate any way you want)

On American Chopper...OCC employee Jason Poole uses Solidworks to design tanks, frames, fenders, wheels for all the choppers OCC builds.....and it shows him viewing the parts in a rotating 3d image........watch the show sometime and you might see it in use.

Solidworks is by far the BEST 3d Cad program out there.

Solidworks Link Here

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ya, its is a gap in the market.
Dont know of any program that lets you take predefined
shapes and lets you build/subtract. Sounds like a great
project though ! Is there a market for this or what ?
Probably easy to make a simple gui, and have them imported
as OBJ or something.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
thanks ATP, I will try that program and see what I can come up with *sigh* here goes a few months of time which I don't really have.

imbalanced, yah, there is a market for it. I'm more of a guy which does the plannign of the decals and such for them, So most of the custom graphics they put on cars is based off my designs, but now imagine if somebody constructed a program where you could take any given model of car and get a 3d image of it and then try various body kits on it and other modificatiosn to see if it's going to look good or not. All it really needs are people who are patient to deal with the programming of teh gui and I'm pretty lazy, although the concept is easy enough because you can grab 3d car skeletons from various games like Grand Terisomo and Need for speed and then the modification parts just need to be designed to fit each car and then perhaps the intergration of fill option for painting and then a drop and drag to fixed locations for parts, and then a loose drop and drag for the decals. For every car enthusiast it would become a must especially if updated often, and for companies that mod cars, it would put more weight with their sales pitch. Over al though, there would be a hellva market for it but it's a lot of work especially if you want to do it alone, which is why I wanted to find an already made program instead of having to create it because this project could take anywhere from a few months to a few years. I've got the ideas but not the time.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Cool idea.....good luck with it !..........

*runs away , starts coding like a madman*

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
thanks imbalanced, going to be a long project though

lol, anybody on the board interested in gettign in on the project? Not the best way of doing thigns but it could work.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Killer 5]

new topics

top topics

join