It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Bird Found On Lawn. (Plenty of Pics)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This morning, when I was coming home from a restaurant, I saw this large bird on my neighbor's lawn. It looked exactly like a vulture, and was roughly the same size as one. The head was bald, but it clearly had blue and red markings on it. The beak was dark yellow, and the feathers on its wings were brown and white at the tip.

I immediately ran inside and got a digital camera, then i snapped a few shots of it:

This is the bird picking at a piece of food on the lawn.

This is a comparison of the bird and a car in the background.

The bird suddenly sees me *gasp*!

The bird flies away and lands ontop of the roof of the house next door.
external image

As you can see, the bird is pretty huge.
external image

This is a picture of what the bird was eating. Turns out that it was a large turtle that was literally ripped apart.

The biggest birds that I've seen in New Jersey are hawks and such, but I've never seen anything like this bird before. Here is a pic of what I usually see in NJ.

I live in a suburban area with plenty of forests and rivers, and I'm pretty sure that vultures live nowhere near NorthEast America. My dad suggested that it was a peacock since there is a peacock farm a couple miles from here, but its feathers were not brightly colored. Also, it took only four strokes of its wings to go from the ground to the roof of a 2 story house. Its wingspan was also enormous. Any comments of what this thing could be?

[edit on 6-7-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
By the way, sorry if the pictures were too large. ^_^"

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well, I'm no ornithologist (that is the right term, right?) but I'm pretty sure that it was a type of vulture (or buzzard as they're also known as).
It really looks similar to the vultures that I've seen down on my moms farm.
But hey, I could be wrong.

Ox

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Kind of looks like a Vulture to me.. Seeing they are large birds of prey and also scavengers... Kinda fits the bill

Vulture pic

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
That IS a vulture or buzzard as stated above in wu kung's post !!

I live in the northeast and yes they are up here !!

Good job wu kung !!!

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Thanx Alpha!
Just doin' my part.

(I am now officially a bird expert!:lol

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
there is a whole flock of these gruesome beasts behind my house as I type this their feasting on a dead dog
yes they are buzzards

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Must be a yankee buzzard, as it is much more refined looking, and has a nicer suit...

Our southern buzzards can scare rabbits to death, just by looking at them... yuggh.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
In the desert southwest, you can often smell a buzzard.

The reason they are bald is so that, when they stick their whole head inside a rotting carcass, so that no bits of festering meat cling to the feathers that would normally be on a bird's head.

The birds often reek because of the bits of decaying carrion stuck to them. The flies are devout hangers-on.

Lovely, aren't they?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm from the Northeast originally.
Maryland, to be precise.

As wu Kung said, it's a vulture.
We called them Turkey Vultures.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Looks like a buzzard to me, no sing of any blue or red markings on it at all

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Yeah thats a turkey vulture. We used to see them a lot when I was workin in an aqua farm. I had no clue minnesota had them.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I never knew that vultures lived in New Jersey. I always thought that they lived in the midwest.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It's a turkey vulture. They are scavenger animals. The turtle was probably hit by a car, and the turlte dragged the broken carcass out of the road (so it wouldn't become roadkill too) and eviscerated it. Turkey Vutlures are indigenous to the entire country, escecially in highyl populated areas, where roadkill is abundant. Just a vulture. That's all.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
We have a family of about two dozen in our neighborhood. They're pretty creepy at first, but I've gotten used to them. It's spooky when it's real quiet and you hear them flap their huge wings.

Pretty cool, though.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The oddness for me its not the bird,,,but what he eat in the garden,,,,you useed to have lots of turtles in that place?? i think its odd he is eating a turtle!

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
He's a vulture. He'll eat anything dead.

Actually I suspect it was a black vulture, not a turkey vulture, based on the black head.

images.google.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

In the desert southwest, you can often smell a buzzard.

The reason they are bald is so that, when they stick their whole head inside a rotting carcass, so that no bits of festering meat cling to the feathers that would normally be on a bird's head.

The birds often reek because of the bits of decaying carrion stuck to them. The flies are devout hangers-on.

Lovely, aren't they?

ahhhh you're making me hungry!!

Chances are, the turtle was already expired, but the vulture carried it there to eat (tore it apart eating it). OR someone threw a dead pet out in a yard in or near yours...

Looks like a box turtle to me.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ya,as stated before me its a turkey vulture. We have plenty of em over here. They are bigger than youd think they'd be untill you see one up close.
Condors are huge though.

The California condor (Gymnogyps californianus) is North America’s largest terrestrial bird, weighing up to 22 pounds with a wingspan of nine and a half feet. It can reach altitudes of 15,000 and may fly 140 miles a day in search of the carrion on which it feeds. Read more about the new condor reintroduction site.

A lot of animal seem bigger than you would initially think though. Nice pics.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Black vultures in New Jersey

He probably heard about your budget issues and was looking for some easy pickins.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join