It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan to test-fire missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Reu ters

Taiwan plans to test-fire a missile capable of hitting China, alarming the island's main ally, the United States, a cable news network said on Thursday.

The Hsiung Feng III, developed by Taiwan's Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology, has a range of 600 km (360 miles) and is accurate to within half a meter, the online edition of cable news network ETTV said, quoting unnamed military sources.

That range would put areas along China's coast from Fuzhou in Fujian Province to Nan'ao in Guangdong within striking distance of the missile, the Web site said.

A defense ministry spokesman declined to comment on the report when reached by telephone. A spokeswoman for China's Foreign Ministry also declined to comment.

I guess it is Test-Firing-Missile-Time in Asia these days ey?

Answer to North Korea or a mild warning to China?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Sounds more of a political play move, with the US knowing more than they are letting onto, haha, as always.
Is this tit for tat?

Hang on a minute.

Taiwan successfully test-fired the missile last year, local media have reported, and the Web site said the next test was planned for September.

Last year, why is this news now, we know why, what game is being played.?

MEDIA HYPE

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Well well well, somoene "up there" is throwing dung at the fan by the looks of things.

Everyones rattling sabres, let's just hope the summer sun is going to their heads and by the time autumn's here we'll all be laughing about Kims' "dodgy dongs".

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I guess it is Test-Firing-Missile-Time in Asia these days ey?

Yep! Slap that sun lotion on Souljah! We are in for a long, hot summer.

Originally posted by Souljah
Answer to North Korea or a mild warning to China?

Both.

To North Korea: We've got the funds to make 'decent' missiles, we can fire missiles too.

To China: Thinking of taking us? We'll fire a missile or two to try to make us look tough.

To America: Don't you think of abandoning us to China in swap for a calm Korean penninsula! We'll cause trouble! We'll fire missiles!

Basically, what will happen is this:

Taiwan fires missiles. America says nothing, or says "it's regrettable, but understandable in today's climate."

China fires missiles. America says it's "very regrettable in today's climate." and China gets diplomatically demonised for firing missiles.

Taiwan won't.

South Korea next?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
360 miles with .5m CEP? That’s rather impressive, if true, actually that’s very impressive for a ballistic missile, that should put all of China’s missile and military sites along the straight within the crosshairs.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hey since everyone else is lobbing missles....
When is ATS gonna launch theirs ?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
WTF!!!! Does everyone have to get in on provoking war?

Someone is going to have to step up and calm everyone down and get them over for a BBQ and talks. Seriously, this is getting stupid.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by lardo5150

Someone is going to have to step up and calm everyone down and get them over for a BBQ and talks. Seriously, this is getting stupid.

yes, and for once.....ITS NOT ALL AMERICAS FAULT!

Im sure the taiwanese missiles do upset the United States since we probably gave them enough of the technology for them to develop these...so we may get indirect blame regardless.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
yes, and for once.....ITS NOT ALL AMERICAS FAULT!

Yes it is, somehow...if it wasn't for us, none of this would have ever happened....

I think Taiwan is getting a little nervous with all the action over there, if by some chance things escalate to a war with NK, Taiwan knows it would be a bit tough for the US to engage NK, maintain all our other wars, AND take on China....

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
Hey since everyone else is lobbing missles....
When is ATS gonna launch theirs ?

*throws paper airplane pathetically made to look like a missile*

Will that do?

Originally posted by lardo5150

The least that would do is give them food poisoning.

Nice plan.

I like your style.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
I think Taiwan is getting a little nervous with all the action over there, if by some chance things escalate to a war with NK, Taiwan knows it would be a bit tough for the US to engage NK, maintain all our other wars, AND take on China....

That's kind of what I thought this posturing was coming from. If the US was drawn back into conflict with NK, China very easily could swoop down and take it back. They just want to show that they can hold thier own, or at least put up a fight.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
360 miles with .5m CEP? That’s rather impressive, if true, actually that’s very impressive for a ballistic missile, that should put all of China’s missile and military sites along the straight within the crosshairs.

I think you misunderstood the news story.

China is the one with ballistic missiles aimed at Taiwan.

The Taiwanese missiles is a cruise missile like a shorter ranged "Thomahawk".

Also if they have it them it also makes sense they will make multiple versions of it and there will also be an air launched version of it capable of being fired from a fighter/bomber jet which will increase the missiles range necuase it's air droped and becuase the aircraft will allow it to extent the range of where its being fired from allowing it to go deeper into chinese territory.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If i was China i wouldn't be too worried about these missiles consdering the huge quantity of ballistic missiles china has aimed at taiwan they will destory all of Taiwans airbases, command centres, barracks etc... Also you can factor in Chinas huge stash of S-300 systems and missiles they will easily be able to stop these missiles from causing too much damage although i expect a couple of missiles to get through the s-300 systems.

Og by the way these missiles can only get 0.5m CEP with GPS guidence combined with other systems becuase there is no way you can get that type of CEP without some sort of external system feeding in guidence position especially at that 360mile range. This means the US has provided access to Taiwan for GPS. China should work on effective way to jam the GPS.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Ah, my fault, got my missile types confused there for a sec, well, that might work to Taiwan’s advantage as you said because cruise missiles can be launch from ground/air/naval platforms and they can be rather hard to detect.

top topics

join