It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Addicted To War?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
HIGHLY sensitive Americans here taking this as "anti-Americanism".

Because that's what it is - anti-Americanism. An anti-America opinon stated
without facts to back up that opinion. Stating that it is anti-American isn't
being 'HIGHLY sensitive'. It's just stating fact.

"Well, what about country X"? Not only is this fatigueing it's OFF TOPIC.

That tires you? What is REALLY fatiqueing is, as previously stated, the constant
stream of anti-americanisms on this site. THAT is tiresome and when they keep
coming and coming then ya'll should expect a few people to state as such.

Off topic? That's open for debate.

What is 'addiction'? What is war and why is it fought? Who fights wars
and why? Who doesn't fight and why not? Who should fight? Who shouldn't?
It all is part of 'wars' and 'addiction'. It is all relevant.

[edit on 7/6/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
The Question asked "Are Americans addicted to War" is loaded, etc.

You have voted darksided for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.
Super size thumbs up!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Excellent post Darksided. Well said.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Darksided. I will add my
to that. Very eloquent. And I felt no insult in the end.

[edit on 7/6/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You have voted darksided for the Way Above Top Secret award.
You have used all of your votes for this month.

Darksided .. you get one too! VERY well said! I agree with you completely.
AND that does it for votes for this month.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This is a short summary of a book or DVD (I just glanced it) and I think it is quite suitable to the title of this thread.
I'm not advertising it. If it's against ATS T&C please remove it.

Shocked and Horrified

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Centurian - a nice try at diverting this thread but it won't work. If you want to start a thread on the failings of the British / French / Dutch etc empires then please do so - I may well join in.

To all the knee-jerk reactionaries reaching for the 'anti-americanism' banner read the original post again - I have a lot of respect and admiration for America but this recent trend (and it is recent) is deeply troubling.

Personally I think the US media / political system has conditioned the US people to expect war as a given, almost 'natural' state. Certainly on ATS many Americans seem to define themselves and their country in term of their enemies (real or imagined) and the prospect of (more) war. But I'm interested in what you guys think.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Three things.
1. Byrd is right; vocal minorities are behind the apparent "war addiction".
2. Intrepid is right: it's not inherently anti American, but a simple proposition for sociological debate.
3. EVERYONE is wrong: this is politics; where's the conspiracy angle?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
Centurian - a nice try at diverting this thread but it won't work. If you want to start a thread on the failings of the British / French / Dutch etc empires then please do so - I may well join in.

This thread was not diverted. When someone who is not US bashing gives a reply it must be given in a vacuum. When someone who thinks the US is "addicted" no end of anecdotes are welcome. This simply can not be answered without a larger world view, which so many thinks that the US lacks.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Well, I would throw in some David Icke or Jordan Maxwell, but I'm affraid of being butt violated.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Three things.
1. Byrd is right; vocal minorities are behind the apparent "war addiction".
2. Intrepid is right: it's not inherently anti American, but a simple proposition for sociological debate.

The conspiracy angle is that a good part of the globe, including US citizens have bought into the propiganda that the communists are pumping out in order to weaken the US. They're playing the long game, while we only think in terms of 4 years. Just look at the UN's move to make sure despotic govts only have guns, while their oppressed citizens have none. We are a symbolic stumbling block and have to be gotten out of the way. There's the conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I disagree with this thread being moved simply because many people have screamed 'anti american'.

On that basis I expect to see the WoT section severely pruned and PTS stuffed with loads more threads

It directly relates to the WoT and the continual perpetuation of 'the US at War' myth put out by the US media and president.

But hey ho you can't argue with the mods - or the unwillingness of many Americans to contemplate any criticism of their country.

Hats off to the few brave yanks who've seen beyond the natural reaction to defend one's country and entered into the debate.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie
[The conspiracy angle is that a good part of the globe, including US citizens have bought into the propaganda that the communists are pumping out in order to weaken the US. They're playing the long game, while we only think in terms of 4 years. Just look at the UN's move to make sure despotic govts only have guns, while their oppressed citizens have none. We are a symbolic stumbling block and have to be gotten out of the way. There's the conspiracy.

Now that is an excellent point regarding the UN's push to deny the right to own guns by private citizens. Because the U.S. (mostly) allows it's citizens to own guns, that is seen by others in the world as another example of the U.S. thirst for war.

In fact, that (world) opinion is just another one of history's lessons lost. It was because the colonists here owned guns in 1776 that allowed them to throw off the oppressive yoke of the British Empire. That ability would be denied to many others in similar need around the world today if the UN gets its way on this issue.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Makes sense to me. This tread is nothing but a focus on the governments foreign political policies. What better place for political policy than Politics at Above Top Secret.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

In fact, that (world) opinion is just another one of history's lessons lost. It was because the colonists here owned guns in 1776 that allowed them to throw off the oppressive yoke of the British Empire. That ability would be denied to many others in similar need around the world today if the UN gets its way on this issue.

Careful there. Someone might say the US is addicted to guns... or liberty.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ach! Its been done.

Thread... relegated... to... politics... *gasp*

Funny. I don't feel any different.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

I'm sick of the Anti-British Sentiment expressed by Americans on these boards. Its shocking.

After all, all we did was provide you with funding, weapons and food and look what you went and did to us, stabbing us in the back like that.

Think about it

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

I'm sick of the Anti-British Sentiment expressed by Americans on these boards. Its shocking.

After all, all we did was provide you with funding, weapons and food and look what you went and did to us, stabbing us in the back like that.

Think about it

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Think about it

That is pretty ironic. However, it is also a good example of what people who desire independence can do, especially with the help of a larger benevolent country. Yes, yes. I mean France.

I wonder why we ever thought Iraq would work out? Precident?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It's been a long time since the revolution. Then, France allied with the colonies to get under Britains's skin. Now, we are just instituting puppets all over the place, in hopes of getting craploads of money.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join