It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda and the power of 'The Simpsons'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

The website is very amateurish and the author is listed only as "L. Wolfe". Is there more information about the origin of this article?

A.

Think with your gut. Tv is mostly excrements.
They use all kinds of effects to get your attention. I know a guy with 300 channels, and apart from nearly being comatose 24/7, he watches a couple of channels only. Why do you think they call it the tube? They feed excrements through it. I won't hate on some shows, I believe some of them are very interesting. Imo it's mostly excrements. My tips: Rent a comedy. Read a book.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by La Balance

The website is very amateurish and the author is listed only as "L. Wolfe". Is there more information about the origin of this article?

A.

Think with your gut. Tv is mostly excrements.
They use all kinds of effects to get your attention. I know a guy with 300 channels, and apart from nearly being comatose 24/7, he watches a couple of channels only. Why do you think they call it the tube? They feed excrements through it. I won't hate on some shows, I believe some of them are very interesting. Imo it's mostly excrements. My tips: Rent a comedy. Read a book.

ok whatever... but can someone provide more information on who wrote this article?

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Delta Alter

Take a look at this:
www.alternativescentral.com...

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Delta Alter]

I've come into this thread late and I apologize if I've missed some already-published information, but I'm wondering how credible this article is. The website is very amateurish and the author is listed only as "L. Wolfe". Is there more information about the origin of this article?

Thanks!!

A.

It is taken from a series published in the 'American Almanac.' He wrote this article amongst others.

And the alleged 'Amateurishness' of the website surely does not detract from the content?

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Delta Alter]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

It is taken from a series published in the 'American Almanac.' He wrote this article amongst others.

And the alleged 'Amateurishness' of the website surely does not detract from the content?

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Delta Alter]

Thanks for that information Delta Alter. An amateurish website can present different kinds of problems (depending on your intent).

I've been doing web development for about 8 years and in the web design world, it's very bad practice to place text on a busy background. Most people will not read it because of the difficulty in seeing the text against the background. The best way to present serious (and long) articles is black text on a white background.

Also, items like animated gifs, broken links, etc. are very unprofessional. People are less likely to take the content seriously. A good site to get web design advice and tips is at Sitepoint (www.sitepoint.com). I'm not affiliated with the site at all but I use it a lot because it always has extremely useful information.

Back to the television article, it's a lot of information to read. I had to copy/paste the content into Wordpad documents so that I could read it comfortably. I'm still on the second page at this time.

Thanks again for the info!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I've been doing web development for about 8 years and in the web design world, it's very bad practice to place text on a busy background. Most people will not read it because of the difficulty in seeing the text against the background. The best way to present serious (and long) articles is black text on a white background.

Yes, I can't argue with that - Kind of makes you feel dizzy and sick reading it!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Yes, I can't argue with that - Kind of makes you feel dizzy and sick reading it!

Ha ha... like I said... it depends on the intent of the webmaster. Maybe he wanted the readers to feel dizzy and sick reading it!! LOL

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I think TV is a powerful device that vomites out information and entertainment.

like the internet the TV has a wasy to send some message but usally its not avaible to all the people to seen that information or the time to do so or even the skills while the internet could give information anyone could send a message.

another thing is infromation needed. in TV I wouldnt have the information that i want but in the internet i could get it faster.

The question is is the TV going to exitict?

I dont think so but the internet star is going to kill the TV star IMO

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas
another thing is infromation needed. in TV I wouldnt have the information that i want but in the internet i could get it faster.

The question is is the TV going to exitict?

I dont think so but the internet star is going to kill the TV star IMO

You can't trust the information that the TV gives you.

Obviously there is a lot of BS on the Internet, but with some patient surfing and back up from other sources, you are far more likely to find the 'Truth'

As for the Internet killing TV- possibly, but it's only a matter of time before the Internet gets controlled to the point of being about as useful as TV anyway.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I started this thread almost a year to the day ago, and now the new Simpson's movie is about to descend into our consciousnesses, I though it seemed appropriate to dust it off and get it going again.

We already know that the new film has a theme of 'An environmental crisis that forces all the main characters to evacuate Spingfield'

It's already reeking of propaganda, folks.

As soon as anyone has seen it, please post your views/findings on here, I am intrigued to hear what you think.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10-7-2007 by Delta Alter]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Instructions for correctly washing a brain.

1) Brain must be empty. A great amount of room is required for all the peripherals that come with creating a new mindset. If it is logistically not practical to have the brain empty, then it needs to be filled with drivel that is easily replaceable.

2)The brain should not be engaged in any meaningful pursuit. This includes reading anything more profound than People Magazine, engaging in deep discussions of a stimulating nature, or (God forbid) meditation.

3)Adrenalin aids in the removal of unwanted preconceptions and in overriding basic logic functions, and should be used generously. Fear of the unknown is the best brand to use, as it is the easiest to manipulate.

4) Once the brain has been cleaned, care must be taken to insure that the new identity is recognized as superior by infusing a sense of high self esteem. This is best accomplished by issuing letters to follow the name, such as Ph.D., or at least B.A., and to never be referred to as BS.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What the Simpsons Episode where I saw scene where a Helicopter Gunship Shoots Missiles at Jason Voorhees or his lookalikes, Anonymous arabian, and someone that I don't know? (it makes me fond of Jason Voorhees and al-qaeda).

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Oh wow...You're so right, it's scary. I've always loved Simpsons, and I have an addictive personality, so I doubt I could give it up, but perhaps I'll be able to see how much it's wrong. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
How About Digimon adventure 02, Teen Titans, and Spongebob since both three cartoons are My most favorite Animated Series.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by masonicon]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

We got rid of our TV after it broke and we decided not to buy a new one.

It is quite phenomenal how quickly we 'Got over it.'

Our minds feel clearer and so much more objective it is untrue. If I see TV at a friend's house now I am astounded at the level of idiocy - on the programmes, the news, the adverts, everything.

In order to justify their TV watching to me, there is one programme that all my friends and acquaintances deem worthy.

If I had £1 for every time someone said to me: "I only watch the news and the Simpsons" I would be one rich woman.

We all know the News is just propaganda, plain and simple, but The Simpsons is an interesting one to me. I can't deny it is funny and well written - I certainly enjoy watching it. But it is unusual the way that EVERYBODY watches it - toddler, infant, child, teen, young adult, middle aged, pensioner - they all love it.

And now there is to be a movie - a movie that is GUARANTEED to be watched by more or less every person on this planet. How can this not be used for propaganda? It is a situation that is just too good to be true for the Brainwashers.

So does The Simpsons already contain propaganda?

We all love Homer Simpson. He is fat, lazy, greedy, stupid and selfish. Apparently we love him because he is 'Just like one of us.' More likely translated as: 'What they want us to be.' A rabid consumer, self absorbed, alcoholic, obsessed with sports, TV addicted and inept at parenting.

Then we have Marge. Stay at home mum (most of the time) puts up with Homer (that is just the way men are), looks after the kids, cooks and shops for the family, dreams of a better life but cannot haul her way out of the rut, intelligent but unfulfilled, resigned to her life because 'that's the way life is.' Again, she's just like Me or You.

Bart is the obvious one. 'It's alright to be stupid, as long as you are cool and funny. Don't respect anybody -especially not your parents or your teachers. Eat junk food constantly. Aspire to nothing.'

Lisa is by far the most interesting character. She is intelligent, spiritual and wise. She is also a geek, her only friends are librarians, she is bullied constantly and in the episode where she is 'accepted' by the cooler kids, she has to become just like them.

Nuclear Power Plants are trivialised into the norm, plenty of gags about polluted water and worker's incompetence, Not so funny to those in Chernobyl, I am sure.

General society is dysfunctional, full of depressed, alcoholic men, shopkeepers threatened by armed robbers, Kid's TV Presenters who are sexual degenerates, stupid, illiterate teachers who hate children, the list goes on and on.

Some may say that the Writers are merely criticising the above. I think that it is implanting it as the 'Norm' into our conciousnesses.

Once again, I stress that this programme is clever and entertaining-I make no bones about that. But making something funny and entertaining is obviously a very efficient way of getting people to watch something.And think about just HOW MUCH it is on TV, repeated over and over constantly (much the same as 'Friends') a good brainwashing technique.

Yes, we all love The Simpsons. So lets anticipate the coming movie, where we and the rest of the world will gather en masse to sit in front of a massive, surround sound screen, and have the latest data inputted into our brains.

What is it going to be?

the bullies Bullied Martin Prince instead Lisa Simpson

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Delta Alter

I was just watching a simpsons rerun of the 'Mr X' episode, involving homer making up information and spreading it on the internet. He went on to mention upcoming flu vaccines and a hideout ' 6 inches under Denver' .

It later went on to describe the vaccine as 'making people wanna go shopping'.

This was on Channel four, in England.

I wonder if it is just me or if anyone else has noticed the amount of 'hinting' and pointing towards topics of global relevance that is cropping up on television? In the UK we have a student soap called hollyoaks that has a tendancy to address problems in the limelight, such as teen pregnancy and drug use, and strangely, transgender identity issues (?)

During the noticable rise in soft diclosure in late 2010 they had a character claiming to be from the plaides, awaiting contact, and determined to build a beacon to contact them. This struck me as odd as the plaides region has been covered in numerous threads here on ATS (upon which i have up until this point only been a lurker), some mundane and some fantastic, and hardly something i would expect to encouter on primetime UK television, on channel 4, which also regularly runs the Simpsons, daily, and has done for several years.This is only overshadowed by the constant repeating of the show 'Friends', running every day, with at least 2 episodes a day.

Surely its not just me that thinks its where the moneys at that has my answers.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The Simpsons is an American animated television series created by Matt Groening for the Fox Broadcasting Company. The series is a satirical parody of a working-class American lifestyle epitomized by its family of the same name,[1] which consists of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. The show is set in the fictional city of Springfield, and lampoons American culture, society, television and many aspects of the human condition.

The family was conceived by Groening shortly before a pitch for a series of animated shorts with the producer James L. Brooks. Groening created a dysfunctional family and named the characters after members of his own family, substituting Bart for his own name. The shorts became a part of The Tracey Ullman Show on April 19, 1987. After a three-season run, the sketch was developed into a half-hour prime time show and was an early hit for Fox, becoming the first Fox series to land in the Top 30 ratings in a season (1989–1990).

Since its debut on December 17, 1989 the show has broadcast 474 episodes and the twenty-second season started airing on September 26, 2010. The Simpsons Movie, a feature-length film, was released in theaters worldwide on July 26 and July 27, 2007, and grossed US$527 million worldwide.

The Simpsons has won dozens of awards since it debuted as a series, including 27 Primetime Emmy Awards, 27 Annie Awards and a Peabody Award. Time magazine's December 31, 1999 issue named it the 20th century's best television series, and on January 14, 2000 the Simpson family was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The Simpsons is the longest-running American sitcom, the longest-running American animated program, and in 2009 it surpassed Gunsmoke as the longest running American primetime entertainment series. Homer's exclamatory catchphrase "D'oh!" has been adopted into the English lexicon, while The Simpsons has influenced many adult-oriented animated sitcoms.

I love the Cartoon Movie!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Moviegoer

Why is any of what you're written of any relevance to the topic?

I've always noticed those who watch movies regularly are more likely to believe the obvious "TV Lies" and be quite distant from the actual reality.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
There is absolutely no way you can deny the fact that media has a serious pull on what people think, the way people act, the different trends people adhere too. there is just too much power in infactuation. people become obsessed with celebrities and start trying to base their life off of them. instead of just looking at what would truely make them happy and going after what they wanted, not just what a celebrity already has, and will probably be over by the time the average person gets access to it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join