It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda and the power of 'The Simpsons'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   
We got rid of our TV after it broke and we decided not to buy a new one.

It is quite phenomenal how quickly we 'Got over it.'

Our minds feel clearer and so much more objective it is untrue. If I see TV at a friend's house now I am astounded at the level of idiocy - on the programmes, the news, the adverts, everything.

In order to justify their TV watching to me, there is one programme that all my friends and acquaintances deem worthy.

If I had £1 for every time someone said to me: "I only watch the news and the Simpsons" I would be one rich woman.

We all know the News is just propaganda, plain and simple, but The Simpsons is an interesting one to me. I can't deny it is funny and well written - I certainly enjoy watching it. But it is unusual the way that EVERYBODY watches it - toddler, infant, child, teen, young adult, middle aged, pensioner - they all love it.

And now there is to be a movie - a movie that is GUARANTEED to be watched by more or less every person on this planet. How can this not be used for propaganda? It is a situation that is just too good to be true for the Brainwashers.

So does The Simpsons already contain propaganda?

We all love Homer Simpson. He is fat, lazy, greedy, stupid and selfish. Apparently we love him because he is 'Just like one of us.' More likely translated as: 'What they want us to be.' A rabid consumer, self absorbed, alcoholic, obsessed with sports, TV addicted and inept at parenting.

Then we have Marge. Stay at home mum (most of the time) puts up with Homer (that is just the way men are), looks after the kids, cooks and shops for the family, dreams of a better life but cannot haul her way out of the rut, intelligent but unfulfilled, resigned to her life because 'that's the way life is.' Again, she's just like Me or You.

Bart is the obvious one. 'It's alright to be stupid, as long as you are cool and funny. Don't respect anybody -especially not your parents or your teachers. Eat junk food constantly. Aspire to nothing.'

Lisa is by far the most interesting character. She is intelligent, spiritual and wise. She is also a geek, her only friends are librarians, she is bullied constantly and in the episode where she is 'accepted' by the cooler kids, she has to become just like them.

Nuclear Power Plants are trivialised into the norm, plenty of gags about polluted water and worker's incompetence, Not so funny to those in Chernobyl, I am sure.

General society is dysfunctional, full of depressed, alcoholic men, shopkeepers threatened by armed robbers, Kid's TV Presenters who are sexual degenerates, stupid, illiterate teachers who hate children, the list goes on and on.

Some may say that the Writers are merely criticising the above. I think that it is implanting it as the 'Norm' into our conciousnesses.

Once again, I stress that this programme is clever and entertaining-I make no bones about that. But making something funny and entertaining is obviously a very efficient way of getting people to watch something.And think about just HOW MUCH it is on TV, repeated over and over constantly (much the same as 'Friends') a good brainwashing technique.

Yes, we all love The Simpsons. So lets anticipate the coming movie, where we and the rest of the world will gather en masse to sit in front of a massive, surround sound screen, and have the latest data inputted into our brains.

What is it going to be?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I guess it depends on what you do with fiction. The thing with programs like the Simpsons, South Park, 2D, etc. is that they make fun of the Holy Cows. It's called satire and we get to laugh at ourselves. If anyone is gullible enough to believe and "accept" what the Simpsons or any other character does as "Normal" or "OK", then it says something about your upbringing and intellect.

I don't think Matt Groening is part of a propaganda complot. He does what he does because he's good at it. No one escapes his pen, and ALL sides are made fun of. That said, we love Simpsons so much because we see some of our own mistakes and flaws in the characters. We can relate - scary enough.

Well, that's my opinion.

There are many TV programs we can use instead of the Simpsons. Will and Grace... A show that enforces the so-called "Homosexual Agenda"? Two and a Half men may show us that it's OK to drink yourself to a stupor, and womanize...? I doubt if these programs were created for a propaganda purpose. Their purpose is after all to entertain and to make money.

Maybe some episodes or TV programs do reflect the views and opinions of the writers... The South Park Scientology episode is such and example in my opinion...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by Gemwolf

There are many TV programs we can use instead of the Simpsons. Will and Grace... A show that enforces the so-called "Homosexual Agenda"? Two and a Half men may show us that it's OK to drink yourself to a stupor, and womanize...? I doubt if these programs were created for a propaganda purpose. Their purpose is after all to entertain and to make money.

ALL programmes on TV nowadays are created to make money and as a vehicle for Propaganda. The entertainment part is debatable.

May I remind you that the Simpsons is brought to you by Fox? And as for Matt Groening, he has hundreds of writers who do the writing for him nowadays.

originally posted by Genwolf
I guess it depends on what you do with fiction. The thing with programs like the Simpsons, South Park, 2D, etc. is that they make fun of the Holy Cows. It's called satire and we get to laugh at ourselves. If anyone is gullible enough to believe and "accept" what the Simpsons or any other character does as "Normal" or "OK", then it says something about your upbringing and intellect.

There are many, many gullible people out there - but you miss my point entirely. The Simpsons is subtle, subversive brainwashing. You are not supposed to believe what the characters are saying, but to gradually accept a way of life as the norm, through constant media manipulation.

There has never been a programme that has endured like The Simpsons. It is the all powerful TV show that can do no wrong. I knew that it would get defended, and I believe that it will continue to be defended.

I get such contempt from people (not meaning you - generally speaking) when I air these kind of views about their beloved favourite show.

Do you not find it somewhat disconcerting that it is has such universal, worldwide power?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Delta Alter
May I remind you that the Simpsons is brought to you by Fox?

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Fox Network, so you'll have to explain to me why this is an important factor.

There are many, many gullible people out there - but you miss my point entirely. The Simpsons is subtle, subversive brainwashing. You are not supposed to believe what the characters are saying, but to gradually accept a way of life as the norm, through constant media manipulation.

I don't know if people will gradually accept certain behavior as portrayed in the Simpsons or other programs. There are hundreds - if not more - of shows that portray dysfunctional people and/or families. Most may not be as popular as the Simpsons, but they show the same antics.
You say the propaganda is there to brainwash us into "accepting degenerate life/people"... What would the point be of that? Why would anyone steer a society down into the slumps? Why would "they" want people to be accepting of dysfunctional people? You point at a possible propaganda, but what is the fire behind the smoke?

There has never been a programme that has endured like The Simpsons. It is the all powerful TV show that can do no wrong. I knew that it would get defended, and I believe that it will continue to be defended.

Friends? Three's company? X-Files? Monty Python? There are many shows that went on what seems like forever. And make no mistake. If you think back to the beginning years of the Simpsons, they were slapped on the wrist over and over, by religious groups, etc. etc. If The Simpsons achieved anything, they made it "acceptable" to laugh at the Holy Cows. Before the Simpsons most writers/producers/directors were just too scared to make fun of God, a religious group, the Royal Family, or anything untouchable. Now no one even blinks when South Park or anyone else makes fun of "the sacred".

I get such contempt from people (not meaning you - generally speaking) when I air these kind of views about their beloved favourite show.

Do you not find it somewhat disconcerting that it is has such universal, worldwide power?

Don't get me wrong. I love new theories. It's always refreshing to read new theories like yours. I gave my views on your theory - which is that I don't bite. You must convince me that I'm wrong and you're right. I'm not defending the Simpsons. If you were to replace "The Simpsons" with TV in General, I may agree with you. But Simpsons being a propaganda tool, I don't agree with.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This about wraps it up, but there is plenty to read about Fox if you dig around in the search engines:
en.wikipedia.org...

originally posted by Gemwolf

You say the propaganda is there to brainwash us into "accepting degenerate life/people"... What would the point be of that? Why would anyone steer a society down into the slumps? Why would "they" want people to be accepting of dysfunctional people? You point at a possible propaganda, but what is the fire behind the smoke?

It's called Social Engineering. The masses are so much easier to control/brainwash/exploit if they are dumb, self- absorbed and obsessed with the trivialities in life.

Originall posted by Gemwolf
Friends? Three's company? X-Files? Monty Python? There are many shows that went on what seems like forever. And make no mistake. If you think back to the beginning years of the Simpsons, they were slapped on the wrist over and over, by religious groups, etc. etc. If The Simpsons achieved anything, they made it "acceptable" to laugh at the Holy Cows. Before the Simpsons most writers/producers/directors were just too scared to make fun of God, a religious group, the Royal Family, or anything untouchable. Now no one even blinks when South Park or anyone else makes fun of "the sacred".

Well maybe that sharp tactic was a way to steer people towards watching it - this new, daring, outspoken show, acting as a voice for the 'Real' people, the people -that to an extent- it 'portrays.'

And those other shows may have gone on forever, but not like The Simpsons. Its popularity has not waned remotely. It goes on and on. The amount of merchandise the company still sells is phenomenal.

I bet those 'Friends' box sets aren't still flying off the shelves.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I do watch the Simpsons, and I do think it is a funny show that uses satire. I have never liked the way the characters were drawn.
There are other shows that have endured as well as the Simpsons. Dr Who, Married with children come to mind. Just because it is satire does not mean it is brain warshing. If satire is brain warshing then the Colbert Report would be also.

www.catweekly.com...

As to the movie I will be looking forward to it. But I hope they will keep it within the spirit of the show. I have a feeling it wont be but will hopefully be a funny movie with satire.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I'm having trouble taking the original post seriously.

We got rid of our TV after it broke and we decided not to buy a new one.

It is quite phenomenal how quickly we 'Got over it.'

Our minds feel clearer and so much more objective it is untrue.

So... it is untrue eh? does that mean not true?

And now there is to be a movie - a movie that is GUARANTEED to be watched by more or less every person on this planet.

you can't guarantee that the film will be watched my more than every person on this planet. Unless some people in space watch it. Which could happen...i guess.

As for the brainwashing/propaganda stuff...I wouldn't go that far. I would say that it has a deep influence on people. But then so does everything. TV can be used for propaganda but it's also great for educational purposes. Timothy Leary understood the potential for the Audio Visual experience. I don't think that what he had in mind was pop idol etc.
What's the difference between watching television and reading books? There is none. If you really want to clear your mind...then learn nothing. Watch nothing, read nothing, listen to nobody. Only think. Then your mind will clear, and you will reach enlightenment...or you might go crazy. It all depends on the mind.

I'd rather do stuff though. In a minute I'll watch the film 'Seven Swords'...then I'll read a bit of Iain M. Banks' 'The Algebraist'...then I'll watch 'Andy Richter controls the Universe'...then I'll go to bed...then I'll wake up and walk to work listening to Joe Hisaishi....then i'll do other stuff...I like doing things...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

There are other shows that have endured as well as the Simpsons. Dr Who, Married with children come to mind.

But they do not have the same Universal appeal. I literally know tiny children and Elderly people that never miss an episode, even if they have seen it already 10 times!

That is the other thing about this show - I have done it myself - Most people can sit and watch an episode again, even though they know it off by heart and back to front, and are even a bit sick of it!

It is just so addictive and manipulative.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   

]i] Originally posted by surrender_dorothy

So... it is untrue eh? does that mean not true?

What are you insinuating? It is a figure of speech (in the UK, I don't know where you are)

Oringally posted by surrender_dorothy

you can't guarantee that the film will be watched my more than every person on this planet

I said 'More or less' not 'More.'

Oringally posted by surrender_dorothy

I'd rather do stuff though. In a minute I'll watch the film 'Seven Swords'...then I'll read a bit of Iain M. Banks' 'The Algebraist'...then I'll watch 'Andy Richter controls the Universe'...then I'll go to bed...then I'll wake up and walk to work listening to Joe Hisaishi....then i'll do other stuff...I like doing things...

Go ahead. This wasn't a personal attack about how you spend your time.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   

There are other shows that have endured as well as the Simpsons. Dr Who, Married with children come to mind.

But they do not have the same Universal appeal. I literally know tiny children and Elderly people that never miss an episode, even if they have seen it already 10 times!

That is the other thing about this show - I have done it myself - Most people can sit and watch an episode again, even though they know it off by heart and back to front, and are even a bit sick of it!

It is just so addictive and manipulative.

Delta,
I have seen the same thing happen with both Married with children, and Dr Who. My dad would watch every eposode of Married with Children time after time. Back when Dr Who was on and I was in High School people my age would watch it as well as people three times my age. Its not just the Simpsons its anything that can apeal to what ever broad based market the show is targeted at.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem
have seen the same thing happen with both Married with children, and Dr Who. My dad would watch every eposode of Married with Children time after time. Back when Dr Who was on and I was in High School people my age would watch it as well as people three times my age. Its not just the Simpsons its anything that can apeal to what ever broad based market the show is targeted at.

Precisely, I agree with you. It's just the Simpsons is a particularly potent example of the point that you make.

TV was created solely for propaganda, brainwashing and advertising -that is the be all and end all. Whether or not you want to accept that is up to you.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   

TV was created solely for propaganda, brainwashing and advertising -that is the be all and end all.

really? I thought that uk television was quite diverse. I thought that as well as 'the simpsons' it has programs like 'question time' and 'horizon'
What about documentaries. do you watch documentaries?

Whether or not you want to accept that is up to you.

I guess it is.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
[really? I thought that uk television was quite diverse. I thought that as well as 'the simpsons' it has programs like 'question time' and 'horizon'
What about documentaries. do you watch documentaries?

If a programme is a documentary, does that automatically mean it is well- informed, intelligent and-more importantly- true?

And even if it is, is that not then perfect fodder for any type of Propaganda that you wish to perpetuate?

With all due respect, do you seriously believe that the TV was create soley to 'entertain' 'inform' and 'educate?' (Exactly what they teach you in schools about television, incidentally.

Take a look at this:
www.alternativescentral.com...

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Delta Alter]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   

TV was created solely for propaganda, brainwashing and advertising -that is the be all and end all. Whether or not you want to accept that is up to you.

Where's the proof of that? Pretty wild theory don't you think? If that's the case we can say the same thing about Radio, the Internet, Movies and even go as far as magazines... Maybe TV evolved to what you think it is, but it was definitely not created for that reason.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Take a look at this:

Damn you...all those other things i was going to do now i'm glued to this crazy theory.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   

"There's nothing on it worthwhile, and we're not going to watch it in this household, and I don't want it in your intellectual diet." - Philo Farnsworth's feelings about watching television.

Philo Farnsworth, the original inventor of the TV.
Who was he working for? Why did he invent it if he felt so strongly about it?

The first image he ever transmitted was that of a dollar sign.

"I know the secret of making the average American believe anything I want him to. Just let me control television. Americans are wired into their television sets. Over the last 30 years, they have come to look at their television sets and the images on the screen as reality. You put something on television and it becomes reality. If the world outside the television set contradicts the images, people start changing the world to make it more like the images and sounds of their television. Because its influence is so great, so pervasive, it has become part of our lives. You lose your sense of what is being done to you, but your mind is being shaped and molded."

Hal Becker,'Media Expert', member of Think-tank 'The Futures Group' for 20 years and also a member of theTavistock Institute of Human Relations. He also called Man 'Homo the Sap.'

Have you researched Tavistock? It is very interesting.

educate-yourself.org...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy

Take a look at this:

Damn you...all those other things i was going to do now i'm glued to this crazy theory.

Here's me, preaching about TV- and we are all sat glued to the Internet!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Must admit that when I lived for a few months without a TV (back inn'99) I would still look through the TV pages in the Newspaper - yet not once did I see a single programme advertised that made me thing "I really wish I could watch that".

You do quickly get used to not having a TV. On the other hand, now I have satellite, there are times when I spend ages flicking through all the channels on the assumption that there must be something worth watching ... (usually there isn't - Springstenn was right "57 Channels and nothing on") - when I just had terrestrial TV I'd have switched it off much more readily.

As for the Simpsons - I say it sould be made compulsory on the NHS ! However bad a day I've had, when I get home from work I watch the Simpsons. And I laugh. It's the only programme ever that's guaranteed to do that. And if that's down to brainwashing or whatever, so be it. It's not as if I have much else to laugh about these days ....

btw I don't understand TV advertising - I mean, all those adverts for sanitary towels and not once have I ever felt the slightest urge to buy any. Clearly it just doesn't work ......

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem
have seen the same thing happen with both Married with children, and Dr Who. My dad would watch every eposode of Married with Children time after time. Back when Dr Who was on and I was in High School people my age would watch it as well as people three times my age. Its not just the Simpsons its anything that can apeal to what ever broad based market the show is targeted at.

Precisely, I agree with you. It's just the Simpsons is a particularly potent example of the point that you make.

I will agree with the propaganda and brainwashing only as it apalies to advertising. Because the allmighty quid will always win out in the end. But if TV is just for that purpose then all communication mediums must be for the same as they all have the capacity to reach almost any where, including the internet. So are you brainwashing all of us?????

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I will agree with the propaganda and brainwashing only as it apalies to advertising. Because the allmighty quid will always win out in the end. But if TV is just for that purpose then all communication mediums must be for the same as they all have the capacity to reach almost any where, including the internet. So are you brainwashing all of us?????

I'm doing my best!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join