It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NK is preparing more missiles on launch pads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Lil Kim already piss off Japan and other neighbors near NK..

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
well i guess i will have my two middle fingers ready for launch towards the direction of north korea when he hear that he blasts off those missles again.

he's an insane idiot.

Digitalgrl

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Has anybody ever considered that NK is just testing to see if their ballistic missile technology works. US test various missiles and munnition all the time. So does Russia. And US perfectly knows that its ICBM's work. NK however has yet to perfect this technology. Since the first missile seemingly failed, it is likely that NK now just wants to make sure it fixed the fault.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
i hate to say this, but my main concern is at OUR reaction.

There's no telling what we might do.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Only A Test

Originally posted by maloy
Has anybody ever considered that NK is just testing to see if their ballistic missile technology works.

Yes.

The problem with this behavior is that from the point of view of the countries around the DPRK, this is the equivalent of your next door neighbor testing his shotgun by shooting it over your head. Repeatedly.

At some point, the police will come and take the shotgun away.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Only A Test

Has anybody ever considered that NK is just testing to see if their ballistic missile technology works.

Yes.

The problem with this behavior is that from the point of view of the countries around the DPRK, this is the equivalent of your next door neighbor testing his shotgun by shooting it over your head. Repeatedly.

At some point, the police will come and take the shotgun away.

May I also add that after yest. test, I can see why NK neighbors are concern about this...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Has anybody ever considered that NK is just testing to see if their ballistic missile technology works. US test various missiles and munnition all the time. So does Russia. And US perfectly knows that its ICBM's work. NK however has yet to perfect this technology. Since the first missile seemingly failed, it is likely that NK now just wants to make sure it fixed the fault.

I think it is certainly being considered, but the problem everyone including North Korea's friends like China and Russia is having with North Korea is they are not following established International protocol for test firing ballistic missiles.

Even Iran gave the world notice, as per International protocol, when they were launching ballistic missiles in January 06. North Korea doesn't, they just launch ICMBs and make the world guess at their intentions.

The problem with that is it sets off alarms in Japan and South Korea, disrupts life in the Pacific, and ultimately makes life harder for China. While China may not sponsor sanctions agianst NK, there is no way they can be happy with this, considering this is giving Japan every reason to cut financial assistance to NK, making NK even more of a burdon on China, and likewise giving Japan and South Korea every excuse to continue thier military expansion, something else China isn't exactly happy about.

If you are looking at this from any perspective other than irresponsible behavior from a nuclear state, you are in direct contrast with common sense, and may want to review your position with some research.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
i hate to say this, but my main concern is at OUR reaction.

There's no telling what we might do.

We won't do anything unfortunately....

This will go through the UN which means nothing will happen.

UN resolution:
www.foxnews.com...

The following is the text of the U.N. draft resolution on North Korea:

July 2006

The Security Council,

Pp1. Recalling its resolutions 825 (1993) of 11 May 1993 and 1540 (2004) of 28 April 2004;

Pp2.Reaffirming that proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, as well as their means of delivery, constitutes a threat to international peace and security;

Pp3. Deploring that the DPRK is the world's leading proliferator of ballistic missiles and related technology;

Pp4. Registering profound concern that the missile launch on 5 July 2006 of ballistic missiles developed under a military programme violated the DPRK's pledge to maintain a moratorium on missile launching;

Pp5. Expressing further concern that the DPRK endangered civil aviation and shipping through its failure to provide advance notice to airmen and mariners;

Pp6. Reminding Member States that the DPRK launched an object propelled by a missile without prior notification to the countries in the region, which fell into the waters in the vicinity of Japan on 31 August 1998;

Pp7. Deploring the DPRK's announced withdrawal from the Treaty on Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons and its stated pursuit of nuclear weapons in spite of its Treaty on Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons and International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards obligations;

Pp8. Expressing grave concern that the DPRK's launch of ballistic missiles, given the potential of such vehicles to be used as a means to deliver nuclear , chemical or biological payloads, increases tension in the East Asia region and beyond;

Pp9. Recalling that in the September 19, 2005 Joint Statement, the DPRK committed to abandoning all nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programmes and returning, at an early date, to the Treaty on Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons and to IAEA safeguards, and that in that context, steps would be taken toward normalization of relations with other parties, subject to bilateral policies and concerns which need to be resolved as quickly as possible;

Pp10. Reaffirming its resolve to take appropriate and effective actions against any threat to international peace and security caused by the proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and their means of delivery, in conformity with its primary responsibilities, as provided for in the United Nations Charter;

Pp11. Determining that these launches constitute a threat to international peace and security, as would future such launches, particularly in light of the DPRK's declaration that it is a nuclear weapons state;

Acting under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations,

Op1. Condemns the launches by the DPRK of a ballistic missiles on 5 July 2006;

Op2. Decides that the DPRK shall immediately cease the development, testing, deployment and proliferation of ballistic missiles and reconfirm its moratorium on missile launching;

Op3. Decides that Member States shall prevent the transfer of financial resources, items, materials, good and technology to end users that could contribute to DPRK's missile and other WMD programmes;

Op4. Strongly urges the DPRK to immediately return to the Six-Party Talks without precondition, to work toward the expeditious implementation of September 19 2005 Joint Statement, and to cease all work on nuclear-related activities with the aim of the complete, verifiable, and irreversible dismantlement of all DPRK nuclear pr(oduction?)

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
darksided good imput on how these actions can effect China which is by far its biggest backer.

I cant see any upside of these recent actions of N Korea for China its just going to make things harder.

I honestly think Chinas biggest problems with N Korea is theres no way they want millions of refuges crossing the Yalu river on mass. I think thats a major reason China does not want N Korea collapse.

That and the fact that if there is every peaceful Korean reunification, then China must deal with a new security threat of having a different and also a more powerful neighbor right on its door step.

Either prospect isnt that great for China so they have to deal with a spoiled attention wanting child that is N Koreas leader for the time being.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hmmmmm

I wonder if anybody was ever concerned about US and France testing hundreds of nukes over on the Pacific Islands. I mean those are harmless right? They only did it for the sake of science..... that and ensuring that if their weapon is ever used it'll obliviate millions of people instantly.

If I was a nation in between, I would be far more concerned about an imperial power testing nukes behind my back yard, than about some small guy that's just testing if his rockets can take off the ground without a warhead.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I cant see any upside of these recent actions of N Korea for China its just going to make things harder.

Just to play Devil's advocate (and, after all, there needs to be a conspiracy somewhere here, right
), what if China is wanting the US et al to make the first real move? I mean, technically you could say that NK just did in some way or another with these test, but I'm sure someone in NK and China figured that it was going to irk those of us across the Pacific.

Here's a thought: how much attention are we paying to NK right now, and where is that attention being taken from? I mean, we're probably going to be focusing more on the Far East for a couple of days; what strategic value--if any--could that hold to anyone in this world? Now we know they're going to launch without letting anyone know about it, they've got more on the firing pad, we can only partly assume those (new) missles are just tests. We're going to have to keep our eyes on this for a bit and see what plays out; what's going to happen while our back's turned?

Another potential spin on this is similar to a movie I've seen and, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. But some cat burglars would intentionally trip an alarm at their target in order to measure the reaction time. They knew it would take the cops 10 minutes to get to their location once the alarm went off, and they'd plan accordingly. Now we've kinda tipped our hand a bit, and shown how quickly we'd react to an unannounced missle launch. I'm sure that's interesting--if not terribly useful--information for a lot of people who aren't terribly crazy about us.

Like I said, just playing devil's advocate and thought I'd throw some ideas around. It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out I think; whether it's just mindless chest thumping or (directly) leading up to something bigger. I do believe this will play some part in the near future of this planet though, just a matter of how direct it is.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Interesting theory the USSR and US often played that game during the cold war testing and probing each others reaction time and defenses. Its a scary game when both side is nuclear armed though

Might be smart to use a proxy to do the dangerous stuff since that way if anything went wrong you could deny everything.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Well, i think its better that we dont do anything- Those people are nuts and they've threatened us with nukes should we try to stop their "testing"....

As far as i can tell, i can throw a rock with my right hand further than their super duper missles....We need to monitor them constantly, of course. We dont want to risk them having one good one.

I hope this government does not get the notion to go in there and take their leggo missles down. One never knows.
Anyone think that maybe they DO have capabilities, and good missles, but these seemingly little incompetent ones are just to throw us off? Now, that's possible too.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Why is this in the War on Terrorism forum? Are isolated Communist states testing Missiles off the Coast of Japan now to be categorised as Terrorists?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   

We won't do anything unfortunately....

This will go through the UN which means nothing will happen.

Exactly. Lets look at some of the words used in this new resolution shall we...

Reaffirming, Deploring, Registering profound concern, Expressing further concern, Strongly urges.

Strong stuff - I bet Kim is quaking in his little old boots.

And of course, Russia and China will never agree to anything proposed by the US anyway. It's pathetic. People may not like the American's aggressive approach to problems, but the UN is just a useless debating society that is happy to let countries like Iran, Iraq and NK take it for a ride while they argue and play political games among themselves.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is a bad situation, but is really worrying me is Russia and China.
What is going on behind closed doors. They are againts sanctions for Iran and NK.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
on a lighter note...CNN's banner states...

There are no signs that North Korea is preparing to launch a second long-range Taepodong missile, U.S. officials with access to untelligence reports tell CNN.

I wonder if our untelligence is accurate on this one

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think they're testing these missile's under the payload requirement's they have aquired from their assembled nuclear warhead's. Launching the short and medium range missile's for test purpose's doesn't make any sense. They've already been fully tested over decade's.

If it was me, I would want to do the nuke payload testing for my short and medium range missile's to cover the neighborhood. Then, heck, test those ICBM's while I'm at it right? Just seem's logical to me, since this is the first testing of missile's since the acquisition of nuke's!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Intelligence Quotient

Originally posted by rockieboy
I wonder if our untelligence is accurate on this one

The first rule of intelligence is to never let anyone else know what you know.

I find that when I bear this in mind, the commercial news made available to the world public makes a lot more sense.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Communication_Burger
Why is this in the War on Terrorism forum? Are isolated Communist states testing Missiles off the Coast of Japan now to be categorised as Terrorists?

As my posts seem to be invisible, I'll ask this question again on the off chance someone actually sees it, and replies; Are North Koreans Terrorists?

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Communication_Burger]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join