It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony's Dutch PSP ads...are they racist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Sony has started a new ad campaign for the new white PSP that has caused quite an uproar from some people.

Many feel this ad is racist, while others feel it's just a edgy visual aid.

I first learned of this ad here.

Sony's response can be read here.

Personally while I think it very possible Sony was not trying to be outright racist, they can't act surprised that people see it as such. The fact of the matter is that it's an image of a white woman showing aggression toward a black woman. Even though the ad doesn't state it outright, it seems the reason for the aggression is a difference in color. They both represent a PSP (human being) that is internally the same but is different on the outside. The aggression and violence isn't accounted for in any other way, so to me that implies racism.

Sony apparently is in the camp that believes there no such thing as bad PR. But it still seems like some corporate lawyer would have thought better of this.

What are your opinions boys and girls? Is it racism, poor judgment, or a brilliant ad campaign?

--edit--
Can a mod move this to Global News, I goofed...Thx

[edit on 7/5/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
yeah the dutch have a lot of race themed ads just look at Gunther

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Nahhh.
To me the ad says that the chick in white grabs the black kid and says "look me in the eyes and tell me I'm hot!"
At least, that's my take on it.
But then again, what the hell do I know?
(probably not much...)

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hmm. Here's how I see it.
The white is coming. The black is old and the white is new. When you put that in terms of people, as this ad obvioulsy does, then it gets dangerous. Especially when it's done in such a demeaning manner.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Oh my god....are you serious? Do you have to make a problem of everything? People like them makes it sound racism, really! It has really nothing to do with that. I think the Netherlands makes one of the best commercials in the world. No one nearly moans in Holland about these kind of commercials in Holland, cause they don't have a problem with it. We make alot of commercials with a
Would it also be rasicm the other way around? Apple also have black and white Ipods and so on...!

We made alot of commercials during the World Cup and making fun of the Germans and they do it the otherway around, is that also rasicm?

For me this is just a beautiful add from Sony introducing there white PSP.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Word up!
People really need to lighten up!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

According to the spokesperson, "All of the 100 or so images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colours of the PSPs , and have no other message or purpose."

It seems the controversial ad is unlikely to appear outside Holland, with a representative from Sony's UK office telling GI.biz: "I would like to confirm that we categorically are not running this advert creative in the UK."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think the fact that Sony has stated that this ad will ONLY be used in the Netherlands is quite telling. They knew what the reaction would be before the pictures were even taken, and they know better than to try to run these ads in the US or UK. I actually think the images are well done, but the aggression between the women will be seen by many as racism. I mean look at this one and tell but this isn't a little off...

Why not two asian women, one all in black the other all in white, in a big smack-down catfight. It would have been less offensive, but it wouldn't have created the buzz the Sony wants. It would not have been as shocking and we would send a lot less time talking about that ad. It may not be racist, but it is defiantly in bad taste.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
????????????????????????
This isn't about the color of the item itself
Look at the ad!!!
If it was a sea of old black PSPs and one white PSP that would be one thing. This is a glowing white person, mocking a black person. The PSP is incidental. And BTW, I'd like a better response than, that I see racism in everything, because I don't. But I will recognize it when I see it. What I see is a black person being portrayed as less than the white.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
yeah the dutch have a lot of race themed ads just look at Gunther

Once again, if you would maybe have listened to the add, you would see and hear it has nothing to do with being black. Gunther says he's german. This is one of the many adds we have about Germans, to make fun of the them. And believe me, they also do it the other way around? Especially during the World Cup. It's just to make fun between Germans and the Dutch.

It's only what you make of it! Nothing to do with rasicm.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Gunther is one thing. He's obviously not their child, and it's funny, because he's obviously not German either.

The PSP ad is saying, in your face, white is better, using people as an example.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It's all just hype.
That's the whole point of advertising.
To generate hype and stir up contraversey.
And here we are, just a bunch of marks, talking about it.
We bought into the hype!
And that's it.

I'm done!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
It's all just hype.
That's the whole point of advertising.
To generate hype and stir up contraversey.
And here we are, just a bunch of marks, talking about it.
We bought into the hype!
And that's it.

I'm done!

Wu's absolutely right. This isn't about race to Sony, it about stirring the pot and getting people talking about their product. But that still doesn't make this acceptable to me. In my case their bad publicity hasn't worked in their favor, it's made me less likely to buy one of their products.

They may or may not be racist, but they are defiantly using racism to get people to notice them.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This story seems to be popping up all over the place...

blogs.guardian.co.uk

Clearly, whatever the justifications, the intention is to be provocative. According to Joystiq, the adverts have been created by TBWA an agency that speciliases in 'disruptive' marketing. From the company's website:

"Disruption is the art of asking better questions, challenging conventional wisdom and overturning assumptions and prejudices that get in the way of imagining new possibilities and visionary ideas.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That's a nice, touchy feely, we are the world, free your mind euphemism for "staged racial violence gets noticed!"

M-W Online Dictionary

Disrupt
1 a : to break apart : RUPTURE b : to throw into disorder
2 : to interrupt the normal course or unity of

Disruption doesn't sound like a very positive thing to me...

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Sony has no choice but to do these ads cause the Nintendo DS is out selling them in japan and there neck and neck in the rest of the world so they need all the attention they can get. They just decide to play it safe by doing in the netherlands

That my $.02

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
DS is a better system anyway.

THe wireless network option is great. With this ad, I can tell you that I will defiately go with the DS when I buy a handheld system.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I think I'll stick with the 360, thank you

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Yesterday I was my birthday and I had a choice from a DS or PSP I choose the DS it a better system (sorry sony) it sooooo fun.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Good luck with squinting at that tiny DS screen

lawlerz0rz

You'll stick with the x360 WTF? hah, its a console not a hand held noobzilla. (microsoft is basically Sega reborn)

being PC sucks, dirkadirkajihaddirkaosepJIHADI!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There's just two things I hate in this world: People who are intolerant of other races and cultures...

...and the Dutch.

"DUTCH-'ATER"

[edit on 2006-7-8 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Anybody who thinks that these ads are racist are people who promote racism. When you turn something like this into a big deal then it becomes a a racist problem. Keep promoting racism people! Or help get rid of the problem and don't turn stupid things into racism.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join