It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NK Missile Tests - Second guessing the US's response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
After the global furore of yesterday's missile tests by NK the US Security Council is sitting as we speak to decide on the next best steps. What are ATS members thoughts on the likely outcome of this?

Essentially it comes down to 2 options, neither of which seems to offer a solution.

Option 1) US lifts economic sanctions on NK with a guarentee that their nuclear programmes are ceased immediately and UN weapons inspectors are allowed a bloody good poke around.

Option 2) US adds further sanctions to an already financially unstable NK.

The ramifications of the first options are probably better than the second, but I believe we would just be left with another Iraq type problem with NK taking advantage of its reinvigourated economy and ploughing even more cash into weapons systems. The effects of the second are obvious - continued efforts by NK to effectively enrich its own weapons grade nuclear materials and the ability to deliver them globally.

Either way this one looks like it will get ugly. Fast.

Benjj

[edit on 5-7-2006 by benjj]

[edit on 5-7-2006 by benjj]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
North Korea, or rather Kim Jun Il, said any sanctions would be a declaration of war.

Sanctions could be imposed, the US, Japan and South Korea may take the lead and call Kim's bluff, to say "Try it."

The North Korean people will suffer the most, I doubt Kim will, who likes the attention.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think we have enough North Korea Missile threads already. Please add you thoughts to one of those.

Closed.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I would definately go with option 2, as i heard yesterday on CNN "If NK wants trouble, lets give them some." What kind of action that might be, is to be awaited. But hasnt NK said any more sanctions would be an act of war?

new topics

top topics

join