It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone else been surrounded by a tunnel of light?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Hi, all-

I am somewhat new to this forum. (That is, I have been a long-time reader, but this is my first post.)

For YEARS, I have been curious as to what really happened to me one day when I was in the second grade. I seem to keep having more and more thoughts (flashbacks?) about it these days, for some odd reason. And I guess I am just curious to see if a similar thing has happened to anyone else out there.

Ok, here's the story: I grew up in the midwest. I think the event happened in the summer of 1977, but I can't be absolutely sure, because I actually didn't "remember" the event until 3 years later, when I was about 12. Anyway, I remember it was "tornado weather", and my mom told me not to ride too far, in case the weather turned bad. I think there may have been storm clouds close by, but I can't remember for sure.

So, I was just riding my bike in the street, right in front of my house, when all of a sudden my bike suddenly "stopped" while I was riding it. That is, although my feet were still on the pedals, my bike stopped moving forward, but I did not fall over, even though I was not making an effort to balance at all. And then... all I was aware of was a curtain of "blue-white lightning" suddenly seemed to be surrounding me and my bike. It looked like lighnting, except there was no sound, no smell, no heat, and no electrical discharge or electircal sensations at all. (i.e. I was not aware of my hair standing on end or anything.)

I vividly remember looking over my left shoulder, and all I could see was a curtain of lighting. Then I looked over my right shoulder, and all I could see was a curtain of blue-white lightning. I couldn't see anything through the sheet of lightning, not even my house. And then, I thought to look up....and all I could see was a tunnel of white light. And then as far as I know, the event was over. That's all I remember.

I vaguely remember running into the house, but strangely, I did not say a word to anyone in my family about the entire incident. (Which is very strange for me, because I was a very talkative kid!)

Part of me thinks it was just a freak bolt of lightning that hit me, and the only reason I was saved from being electrocuted to death because I was sitting on rubber tires. But I never heard any noise, I never smelled anything, I was not aware of any electical discharge, and there was absolutely no heat. For the longest time, I tried to ask different meteorologists if it could have been lightning that surrounded me on my bike, but I have never been able to get an answer from them. (They probably thought I was nuts.)

The idea of some kind of alien close encounter has always been in the back of my mind...and lately, that seems to be the only explanation. Of course, maybe I made it all up in my mind, too! I always have been a big Star Trek fan, even as a kid. Maybe I saw too many Star Trek episodes while I was falling asleep? I am willing to admit that I have a very active imagination.

But yet....I can remember it vividly. It doesn't seem like an imagined event or a dream. And lately, I just can't get the event out of my mind! Anyway..... just curious...has this ever happened to ANYONE out there....or have you ever heard of this happening to anyone? Any ideas what this could have been?

Also, for any of you skeptics...I have a very open mind, and that goes both ways. If you can think of any kind of lightning that would be capable of creating a tunnel of light surrounding me on my bike for at least 10 seconds (maybe longer) without causing noise, or smell, or heat, or anything, I'd be interested in your opinions, too.

-N

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hm wow. Did anything else occur? Remember any strange dreams, anything that may be relevant even if you think it was not?

I think most likely that you where hit by residual charge through the ground, and that it caused a type of paralysation or black out for a moment.

But who knows.. just never heard about anything like this.

[edit on 5-7-2006 by reallynobody]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Nobody-

Interesting! I've never thought about that...a residual electrical discharge from the ground. Very interesting.... I like that theory. I like that theory a lot!

Well, as far as other weird things happening....yes, TONS of weird things have happened to me all my life. Gosh, where should I start??

I have had premonitions that have come true (very precise ones) since I was 12 years old, strange visions and dreams, a major out of body experience, and a few episodes of spontaneous telekenesis... but only when I am very emotional. I also have had some experiences with being able to do "hands-on healing" and medical intutive abilities. (I swear to God, I am not making this stuff up.)

I have had one UFO sighting in my life, but that wasn't until many, many years later. I saw a sphere shaped UFO once when I was on a sailboat with 5 other people a few years ago...but none of them would look into the sky where I was pointing, which I thought was VERY strange. (After all, if someone said to me, "Hey, look, there's a big silver ball in the sky over there!" I would look and check it out. But none of them would look.) I finally just gave up and decided that I was obviously the only one who was "meant" to see it.

Oh, and then there is the little issue of my thyroid gland mysteriously "disappearing", and how it caused me to be misdiagnosed with mental illness for a few years until they figured out what was really wrong with me.... but that is a long story, so I won't go into it here.

So, yes....I guess you could say I've had lots of weird things happen to me in my life.

I think the reason that I am so intrigued and concerned about the "tunnel of light incident", is I have always wondered if maybe that incident was the incident that "started it all" and/or " turned everything on". Sometimes I think that maybe that is why I have premonitions, and why all these weird things happen to me all the time. I have no idea.

(By the way, I don't think I am any more gifted than any other human. I personally think ALL humans have the potential to do hands on healing, and psychokinesis, telkenesis, ESP, but most of us just haven't tapped into our own dormant abilities. Somehow.... I did.)

-N

[edit on 6-7-2006 by nikiano]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Your tyroid gland disappeared?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yea, it's really weird.

Here's the story on that: Shortly after I was born, I became pretty sick. But even though my mom took me to the doctor all the time, the doctor wouldn't listen to her. Well, finally, 16 months later, I kept getting sicker and sicker, and she finally got another doctor to listen to her. They did a thyroid test, and found that my thyroid hormone levels were very low...just enough to barely keep me alive.

So, we're pretty sure I had a thyroid gland when I was born....or at least part of a thyroid gland, otherwise I wouldn't have had ANY thyroid hormone in my blood system.

Fast-forward 30 years or so. I started getting terrible mood swings later in life, and I was finally diagnosed with bipolar disorder. However, I didn't respond to medication, and after 5 years of TOTAL HELL I finally asked my doctor to do a thyroid ultrasound. I told her I didn't think I was bipolar...... I thought maybe I had some nodules on my thyroid that were making me manic or something.

Well, they did the ultrasound, and my doctor was kind of freaked out. I didn't have a thyroid gland! She did an ultrasound test in her office, and she also sent me to the hospital for a better test. The radiologist's report said she could find no sign of ANY thyroid tissue, whatsoever. It was completely missing. And I had never had surgery or ablation therapy. Once it was discovered that I had no thyroid gland, my "bipolar disorder" diagnosis was erased, because as my doctor told me "Not having a thyroid gland can make you go crazy".

So, either:
a) I was never born with a thyroid gland to begin with, and it's a miracle I made it to the age of 16 months old without ending up mentally retarted or with some brain damage. (However, according to the medical literature, that's impossible.)

or
b) My thyroid just dissolved away after years of non-use, since I was taking thyroid medication for so many years? (Maybe this is possible?? I have no idea.)

or
c) The aliens came back 25 years later and somehow managed to steal my thyroid gland. (Ha ha! Just kidding!) Or somehow, my thyroid gland just "went away."

Then again, maybe...I DO have brain damage. Maybe the brain damage is what caused me to see a tunnel of light when I was on my bike that day. I guess that is entirely possible.

Or maybe it was the huge electrical discharge that day that caused me to develop symptoms of mental illness later in life? There has always been something weird about my body's electrical field: besides having enhanced intuitive abilities, I also tend to stop watches, and disrupt computers after just a few months of use. (The IT department at my last job hated me).

Maybe I was just struck by a freak bolt of lightning or a weird electrical that day, and that's why my body's electrical field is so wacked out....and that is why all theses crazy things have happened to me all my life.

I've just never heard of it happening to anyone else ever before, and that's what drives me nuts.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Wait...I just thought of one more possibility that could explain the white light.

Many times when I was extremely "manic", in my early 30's, I went into what could be called a "mystical state". TWICE, when I was in that stat... I saw a beautiful, brilliant white light. Both times when I saw that brilliant white light, I expereinced an incredible feeling of complete and total one-ness with the universe. I also felt total and complete and pure love. (I know it sounds totally corny, but that's how it felt.)

Both times that happened as an adult, I ended up in the hospital afterwards, and my thyroid levels (TSH) were completely out of wack. All my other tests were normal. So, maybe somehow the white light is connected to my thyroid levels??

But, even though I saw a bright light those two times, it was a much different experience than the first time I saw the tunnel of light on my bike when I was 8 years old. I didn't have the feeling of "complete and total one-ness with the universe." I was in a total normal mood that day, and the only thing I was thinking on my bike that day "What the heck is going on?" and "Where is this light coming from?"

The "tunnel of light" I experienced on my bike seemed to be a curtain of blue-white lightning surrounding me...whereas the bright white light I saw when I was in a manic/mystical/hypothyroid state were more like the "heavenly kind of light" that people talk about when they talk about having near-death experiences. (That's exactly how I felt, too....like I was in heaven or something.)

Hmmmm......curiouser and curiouser!
I wonder if somehow all these experiences are all connected??

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I also have another theory about why it seems that only us so-called "crazy people" can see UFO's, and nobody else can.

Here is my theory: I think our brain waves (us so-called "crazy people") are different than other people's brain waves; our brain waves are more in the alpha/theta ranges, whereas "normal people's" brain waves tend to operate mostly in the beta brain state, when they are awake.

(I also read a similar theory in a book called "Preparing for Contact" by Lyssa Royall, a few years later. She said you have to be in the alpha/theta brain state to be able to communicate with them!)

This theory could explain why only I could see the UFO on the sailboat that day, and nobody else could. The day I went sailing was not long after I had recently experienced a so-called "manic" episode. (Although, now I can call it a hypothyroid episode.)

Now, that could mean one of two things:
1. That there was no UFO that day, and it was all in my imagination. (Quite possible.)
2. That the reason nobody else could see it on the sailboat that day, is because my brain waves were the only ones that were in the alpha/theta range....because my body's chemistry was off.... Everyone else's brains that day were "normal" and in the normal waking state: the "beta" brain wave. So, they couldn't see it.

Anyone have any thoughts about this theory?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hi.

After reading your post it seems to me that there are at least two threads that you might want to see.

While the incidents related in them are not exactly like yours, they are close enough that they might give you something to think about.

Streetlights going out when you walk under them

and

Can you please tell me what happened?

[edit on 6-7-2006 by ShadowEyes]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the links....those are two great posts.

(I especially like your post, Shadow Eyes. I'll be making some comments on that post. )

-Niki

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I'm not a doctor, but I think you could have had an autoimmunity disorder which allowed your immunesytem to attack pineal tissue OR you had a genetic disorder preventing pineal tissue to develop/regenerate properly.

Maybe even you where exposed to toxins, but I have no idea which toxins can do something like that.

Are you shorter than average? If you had no pineal gland from birth I would expect you to be midget-shized. If you have normal or slighly shorter than average height than the tyroid gland disappeared later in life.

Unless the tyroid gland is located somewhere else in your body but I think we can savely dismiss that for now.

Sure weird though.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well, thyroid disease is an auto-immune disorder, actually.... but as far as it attacking my pineal gland, nope. As far as I know, my pineal gland is fine. I had a CAT scan of my brain back in college when I was experiencing excruciating migraines (forgot about those!), and it showed that everything in my brain is fine.

I am slightly short (5'2''), but not extremely short. (And on my Italian side of the family, I am the tallest woman in the family. Ha ha!)

I definitely had at least SOME thyroid tissue when I was born, otherwise the blood test they gave me at the age of 16 months would have shown NO thyroid hormone...and it did show a low level of T4 hormone. (Unless another organ in my body took up the duty of my thyroid and started producing T4...but I have never heard of that happening before.)

I thought about a "migraiting thyroid, too." But, I don't think that's it, either.

Yea, it is weird.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Are you sure the bipolar diagnosis was wrong? It would explain many of your experiences. I have read episodes can be so severe as to cause complete psychosis as well as delusions and hallucinations.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
while my symptoms are not nearly as severe as yours and I have never checked to see if I have a thyroid... I have always been considered "crazy/manic" whatever. I m completly obsessed with the paranormal/occult. Why? Because it IS real and it is everywhere.

I experimented with psychedelic drugs in my early teens. I went through a two year period of severe mental distraught of a bad trip. I had the equivelant to PTSD and was left with HPPD. But I was mentally "screwed up" before that. I have noticed a permenant shift in awareness. Life seemed simpler and I had no doubts about the stability of our concious reality.

Ever since the "'___' psychosis" I noticed streetlights DO go out at least once a month when I walk under them. I have very high hit rates with remote viewing/precog, and I never learned how to do it "properly" or by the books. Im very intuitive and have had precognitive/telepathic dreams. I can lucid dream on command. I WILL astral project/have sleep paralysis wether I want to or not if I sleep on my back.

Can you match any of this phenomena?

Dae

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
or
b) My thyroid just dissolved away after years of non-use, since I was taking thyroid medication for so many years? (Maybe this is possible?? I have no idea.)

Whats the medication called? Was it the same type for years? Did your doctor just keep prescribing without any check-ups? Have all the 'bi-polar' symptoms gone now? Whatis/has been done about your lack of thyriod now?

Fascinating stuff you got there!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well, I was taking Armour Thyroid from the age of 1 and 1/2 to 22 years old. Armour thyroid is from pig's thyroid, and I was doing fine on that. Then, at the age of 22, I switched to Synthroid (a synthetic thyroid hormone) because I wanted to go vegetarian. Unfortunately, that is the year a lot of my mood swings started... but I didn't connect the two, because at that time I didn't know that lack of thyroid hormone could make you crazy.

A few years ago, I learned self-hypnosis, and that is how I made myself sane again. (In fact, it worked so well, that I became a part-time hypnotherapist.) . My symptoms pretty much went away after I learned hypnosis, but I still had a few manic "blips" every once in a while. However, I learned how to bring myself back from mania/psychosis using hypnosis, which was a lifesaver. (It worked much better than medication most of the time.)

This year, I switched back to Armour Thyroid, and now ALL of my symptoms have gone away.... I'm back to normal. So, we pretty much think it was all thyroid related, and not truly bipolar. I know you can get totally psychotic with mania, which is why we thought I was bipolar. But, you can also get psychotic with thyroid problems, too, as it turns out.

(Believe it or not, my "misdiagnosis" is not that unusual. Thyroid problems are the number one reason for being misdiagnosed with a mental illness. Most doctors don't bother to do a complete endocrine work-up when you go crazy. They just assume you are nuts.)

Of course, it is possible that I am also bipolar. Maybe I just found a new treatment for it.... hypnosis and pig's thyroid. Ha ha!

All I know, is that my bipolar symptoms are now completely gone, and I am grateful for that. The only "symptoms" I have left are my enhanced intuitive/precognitive abilities, etc.... and I feel that those are more of a gift, than anything else.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I still can't believe that NOBODY else out there has ever had a similar situation of being encircled by a tunnel of light. I was really hoping it had happened to someone else besides me.

Or are you all just really shy?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Well, thyroid disease is an auto-immune disorder, actually.... but as far as it attacking my pineal gland, nope. As far as I know, my pineal gland is fine. I had a CAT scan of my brain back in college when I was experiencing excruciating migraines (forgot about those!), and it showed that everything in my brain is fine.

I am slightly short (5'2''), but not extremely short. (And on my Italian side of the family, I am the tallest woman in the family. Ha ha!)

I definitely had at least SOME thyroid tissue when I was born, otherwise the blood test they gave me at the age of 16 months would have shown NO thyroid hormone...and it did show a low level of T4 hormone. (Unless another organ in my body took up the duty of my thyroid and started producing T4...but I have never heard of that happening before.)

I thought about a "migraiting thyroid, too." But, I don't think that's it, either.

Yea, it is weird.

Sorry, i meant thyroid. I get my glands confused sometimes.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I still can't believe that NOBODY else out there has ever had a similar situation of being encircled by a tunnel of light. I was really hoping it had happened to someone else besides me.

Or are you all just really shy?

I remember that someone was once encircled by a vortex of clouds while flying through the Bermuda triangle. Nothing alien, jsut a strange weather phenomena.

He described it like a tunnel forming around the plane. Interestingly one of the pilots of the missing Avenger planes in the Bermuda triangle said something about a hole in the sky, so perhaps the same phenomena.

You said you where surrounded by white light: could it be a wirlwind, a big dustdevil, of fine sand swirlign around you? Was there lot's of sun or cloudy?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join