It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is it illegal to tell others to commit suicide?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Id like to know seriously

is it illegal for someone to openly tell others to "slit their wrists"

imo, its suggesting violence and murder *of ones self*

so i would assume its illegal behavior and punishable as such

so....is telling others to committ suicide illegal or legal?

am i allowed to convince others to kill themselves?

on another forum i have a guy telling me to slit my wrists, *because he didnt like my opinions* and Yes he lives in USA

is this legal?

ps - if this stuff is actually legal, than that means making a suicide cult is legal right? if its clearly illegal behavior, than suicide cults are banned right?

[edit on 4-7-2006 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
While it sounds like a rude and ignorant thing to suggest someone kill themself, I don't really see any reason for it to be against the law.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Are you asking this question because you are considering calling the police or filing a lawsuit against this guy?

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
no, i was just curious if it was allowed legally

if so ill freely tell that person the same thing they told me lol

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

if so ill freely tell that person the same thing they told me lol

Feel free to, I myself would try to avoid being dragged down to that level.
Would be better of to ignore those sort of comments, after all the intent of them is to usually piss you off, once you reply in kind its an admission that they succeeded.

[edit on 4/7/06 by Skibum]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't know the specifics of your situation, but telling someone to jump off a cliff has never been illegal. It's protected under freedom of speech.

I have no idea about the legality of a suicidal cult.

I'm with Skibum. I wouldn't lower myself to a like retort. I'd think of something better!

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
There's nothing illegal about it, that I can see.

If you actually went ahead and did it, for some strange reason, your family might have a good shot at winning a civil suit against the person who told you to do it.

It would be on the lawyer to make a good case, but there's nothing substantive to the complaint.

If the person used hypnosis, or drugs, or elaborate lies (I poisoned your breakfast cereal, and the only way for you to avoid an excruciating death is to off yourself now, with the gun I've provided) - then you've got something.

But if someone tells you to jump off a bridge, and you do it, it's really your own fault. If the person was in a position of authority that gave them some power over you, or they threatened you, it would be a different story, much easier to win a case like that I would think.

Anyway, don't fight on the internet. It's really pointless, and a complete waste of time. If you can't convince someone in this medium by using a well-constructed argument, you're sure as Hell not going to convince them using threats and invitations to suicide.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don't see a problem in counciling someone to commit suicide, but in most places in the world you will be arrested for assisting in a suicide.

Suicide is a personal choice that a person needs to decide for themselves, and in most places the act is not illigal, but the assistance or encouragment could be construed as illigal depending on your location and the laws pertaining.

Anyone that you know that is thinking about ending their life should be directed to a doctor that can assess their condition, and provide the assistance needed to resolve the depression. But in the end, it's your life, and you can do what you want with it.

Even if that means ending it. :shk:

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Actually it depends on the state you are in. THere are no Federal Statutes dealing with this.

If you cooerce a person to commit suicide you can quite easily, atleast in AZ, be sued for a wrongful death. So everyone know it is Illegal to commit suicide and illegal to help a person. I know thats not what you were asking but i thought i would make sure ot throw that out there.

If you egg a person on....or willfully allow a person to commit suicide you MIGHT and I stress the word MIGHT get hit with something along the lines of reckless endagerment( egging person on) it also depends on the person's state of mind and your state's statutes on Mental Retardation and Mental Imparidness(spelling?). There are some states where if you are working with a person whose IQ is below a certain level you are liable for thier actions. Its a very confulted situation. THere are no statutes that I am aware of the expicitly make it illegal to tell a person to kill themesleves....however I am sure that through various Loop holes if the prosecutor/family really wanted to go after you they would be able to at the very least sue and win a wrongful death suit.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

new topics

top topics

join