It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If The Poles Melt...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If the poles melt, this will change the salinity of the oceans. Won't this also affect the underwater conveyor system?

The sargasso sea produces 30% of the oxygen we breath. This will also be affected.

Add to that, the change in weight distrubion over the earth and we have real problems.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Yes, the caps melting will definitely affect the THC. The biggest problem I see, in the near-term with the poles melting and a THC reorganization, would be the impact on fisheries. Fish stocks in the Atlantic and the Pacific would plummet, some of which are already on the brink.

Unfortunately, there are so many variables that we can't realistically predict what the effect of solar cycles, greenhouse gases and all the other processes and variables have on the climate. This much they are certain on, things are changing rapidly.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
If the poles melt, Kevin Costner will lead us to dry land by looking at someone's tatoo!
I think in the event that the poles melted, it would seriously # up the planet, it's hard telling what sort of damage would be done to marine life if the salinity of the oceans were altered.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 10:34 PM
link   
the poles have melted before, and they will eventually reform, happens every ice age, just beacause no record of melted polar caps have been recorded in human history doesnt mean we are all doomed.

As far as the wieght distribution, it will stay pretty much the same, the gravitational pull keeps the earth round, melted water will make the oceans rise equally, causing no substancial(sp) loss of ballance, and even if the earth wobbles a lil and we get a new magnetic north the only thing you gots to worry about is being on a plane at the time and ending up in England instead of New Jersey.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Unfortunately, there are so many variables that we can't realistically predict what the effect of solar cycles, greenhouse gases and all the other processes and variables have on the climate. This much they are certain on, things are changing rapidly.

Yes, this is very true. The ocean is one of the most chaotic things on earth, so it'll be difficult to tell what'll happen.

The poles are quite large, but I'm not sure if they'll make that make that much a difference in sea level if they melt. If you look at the size of them, and scatter them so they cover teh whole ocean, you can see that it won't cover all of the world's oceans. Sure, it'll rise at least a few feel, but that won't make too much of an impact (on huamns at least) if you live inland (which most people do), right?

I'm assuming the poles are made of freshwater (because they can freeze), so the salinity will be drastically lower than it used to be. However, since the poles can't melt overnight, unless if Iraq nukes it or something, I'm sure that the creatures can adapt to the salinity without being stressed out.

OH, and don't believe something like Waterworld will happen. That movie sucked.

top topics

join