It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea fire missle. Lands 600km From Japan

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mammoth
Stronger physical actions, what will that mean? Nuclear test? Rocket fired closer to the japanese islands? More Taepodong 2 missile launches? Military action? North Korea has been known to threaten against more imposed sanctions, and we know Japan/US wont listen to their "demands" and will only add fuel to the fire, how NK will react to this is what i'm interested in.

Interesting that you are waiting to see how the NORTH KOREA reacts while simply claiming that the US and Japan will "only add fuel to the fire," huh?

Here's a thought, how about lets watch as the US and Japan continue to react as North Korea continues to ADD FUEL TO THE FIRE, you think?

And about Hawaii, does the Taepodong 2 have enough range capability to even get there?

Try this:
Taepodong-2 pointed at waters near Hawaii: report

Good thing that the only thing that Lil'Kim's missiles can do is continually splash water, eh?

You, as with some others here, must be some of those individuals that advocate waiting till one of Lil'Kim's missiles hit somewhere on US or Japanese soil, with a possible nuclear cloud or WMD reaction (hypothetical), before advocating a harsh stance against such North Korean intentional and direct provocations.

Japan has every right to set sanctions against North Korea, as the US has every right to back such a move. Food for thought: North Korea does not want to see a nuclear Japan, and if he keeps with his continued intentional and direct provocations, such may well come to fruitition; something that China may want to consider and reconsider, or had better, when dropping the hammer on Lil'Kim.

seekerof

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Interesting that you are waiting to see how the NORTH KOREA reacts while simply claiming that the US and Japan will "only add fuel to the fire," huh?

Here's a thought, how about lets watch as the US and Japan continue to react as North Korea continues to ADD FUEL TO THE FIRE, you think?

Then let me re-reply on what i am trying to say, North Korea is stubborn, so is Japan/US. We know perfectly well that more sanctions will only worsen North Korea's attitude, and we know that more launches will only make NK more isolated, is that good enough for you? Lets watch how both sides add fuel to the fire. Just like Iran, the relationships are unlikely to improve, both sides want something of eachother, problem is, those things are exactly the opposite of what the other side wants. In a sense, sanctions are the fuel. Ask yourself, will it improve anything? What will?

Try this:
Taepodong-2 pointed at waters near Hawaii: report

Yes i have noticed that, but reaching Hawaii is another thing, pointing at it is easy.

You, as with some others here, must be some of those individuals that advocate waiting till one of Lil'Kim's missiles hit somewhere on US or Japanese soil, with a possible nuclear cloud or WMD reaction (hypothetical), before advocating a harsh stance against such North Korean intentional and direct provocations.

Did i sound like that? I was merely mentioning that i was awaiting responses from both sides, particulary NK, dont draw conclusions before i even said it. North Korea must be crazy to commit a suicidal act by bombing a country that is tied in relations with the US, it wont fire on Russia and China, seeing how those two are backing NK. Harsh stance? Ok for me, but i doubt it would achieve any sort of positive effect.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Seekerof]

Oh so what do you want? Bomb North Korea for thoughtcrime? The fact he may think something warrants punishing a nation.

North Korea have tested missiles, the only thing wrong is they did not announce they were going to do it officially.

But wow, let's use North Korea's mouldy missile testing as pretext for sanctions (that will really help the North Korean people won't it) or maybe war.

Yep. Bomb them. Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb.

Let's bomb them, for possibly thinking of bombing.

Let's place sanctions and starve the North Koreans, because Kim is starving the North Koreans.

Well done. Genius that.

North Korea has not done anything wrong with their missile tests asides from their lack of official warning.

They've not bombed anyone or killed anyone.

If they do, they know they have it coming from the US.

Don't think Kim is totally insane, as the media portray him.

He's an bizarre chap, but he knows what will happen if he does anything.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mammoth
Yes i have noticed that, but reaching Hawaii is another thing, pointing at it is easy.

The Taepo-dong 2 has MORE than enough range to hit Hawaii. It's capable of hitting the West Coast of the US. There is another version of it that NK is supposed to be working on that is capable of landing somewhere near Mississippi.

The Taep'o-dong-2 (TD-2) is said to be a two or three stage missile. North Korea has given various names to the Taep'o-dong missile, such as No-dong-3, Hwasong (Mars)-2 and Moksong (Jupiter)-2. Over time, the estimated range has grown substantially. It was initially estimated to have a range of 4,000 km, but is currently estimated to have a range of up to 15,000 km. The throw weight is variously estimated as between a few hundred kilograms to 1,000 kg, depending on the range.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The Taepo-dong 2 has MORE than enough range to hit Hawaii. It's capable of hitting the West Coast of the US. There is another version of it that NK is supposed to be working on that is capable of landing somewhere near Mississippi.

I was saying that more in a sense of North Korea making a succesfull test which proves it can stay in the air.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Sanctions will do nothing.

They will merely worsen the lives of the average North Korean.

The food left will be given to the leadership and the army.

Economic sanctions are a joke when imposed on people who worry about eating from day to day.

I support a hardline stance on them, but it seems that our hands are tied in every plan.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
I support a hardline stance on them, but it seems that our hands are tied in every plan.

by hardline stance, what do you mean?

it will be hard to use military action on a nation, which its citizens are brainwashed to believe that the American army is "coming". Force regime in the area? that could be chaotic.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I don't understand why everyone is freaking out. I am an American. My country has neuclear weapons and we have used them before, yet here we are critisizing another nation for having dangerous weapons and testing them?

Does that really make any sense? Why can we have weapons but no one else can?
Sure maybe Kim Jong Il is being "cute" and flaunting the fact he has weapons and is testing them. So what, I don't see him as a threat really.

I do think a lot of the hype is merely scare tactics. As my signature says "welcome to the kingdom of fear"

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
if smaller countries get nukes they have power over there neighbours. america does not want rouge countries to get nukes because then they will have limited power over them, and it will make them harder to take over.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I'm with you snowflake. So tired of all the war threats whenever another country builds a better slingshot. We spend more on weapons than the rest of the planet combined and we act like anyone who picks up a rock is a terrifying threat to us. If a country had a single mind, our behavior would be a sign of serious mental health issues.

Take a look at this thread, dozens of pages about the Nork's missile landing 600km from Japan. Has anybody looked at a map of the area..?

Parts of North Korea are only 500km from Japan.

Yes really. They would have gotten closer if they stood on the beach and spit towards Japan.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

What in the heck seeker? We already HAVE a harsh stance against NK. We can't condemn a country just because they decide to test their weapons in 7's rather than 1 or 2's.

Who's advocating an unharsh stance if he DID hit another country with a missile? No question at that point something really harsh would need to be done. But what's with all the panties in a wad here over some simple tests, in which the longest range missile failed? (or so is reported). This is reminiscent of the preemption/non-preemption argument. No winners, just opinions with valid points on both sides. Why hell, let's just take this a step further and say "Ok, no other countries shall even HAVE weapons. You have weapons, we're coming after you. We don't care what kind of weapons you have. They are a threat to us."

Where does this end?

Edit: missed quote tag fix...

[edit on 7-7-2006 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
That's a good point. How much harsher can our policy towards NK be beyond simply bombing them?

We don't trade with them, have no one to one diplomatic relationship with them, etc etc... beyond actual military force, we've essentially run out of sticks. And carrots don't work too well either, as Clinton found out.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here is another perfect example of NK's stance against more sanctions.

NORTH Korea would consider international sanctions imposed over its missile tests this year to be an act of war, a Pyongyang envoy was quoted saying Friday.

Han Song-Ryol, the North's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, told South Korea's Yonhap news agency that the United States must prove whether it wants to peacefully coexist with the communist regime.

He said any sanctions would be an "act of war," Mr Yonhap said.

Source

Like i said, when i see such things i really wonder what NK's next step will be, and if the US/Japan have the guts to impose more sanctions, because we all know how unpredictable the future can be.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
If this really happend then there could be war.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yes it really happened... On the 4th of July. I think we're pretty much clear of the imminent threat of a war over that launch. The pattern I see in Kim's behavior is that he makes sure to rattle the saber in a headline making way at least once and usually twice a year, but he never pushes too many things through in rapid succession. He gets our attention just often enough to remain a priority, but not often enough to become the kind of priority that you start a war over.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I see Reuters has made the OP story Link unavailable. Has me curious to learn the reasoning for the deletion?

FYI:

NK fired a dud in July.
See:
www.cnn.com...

Silimlar test in 2003:
See:
www.smh.com.au...

Dallas

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join