It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Escaping From a Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
"Scientists have found new evidence that light emanating from near a black hole loses energy climbing out of a gravitational well created by the black hole, a key prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity."

www.jca.umbc.edu...
www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Does pose a few questions:
I thought nothing escaped a Black hole...
According to:
amazing-space.stsci.edu...
???Impossible for light to escape something that has no Mass, Right????

[edit on 4-7-2006 by D15t0rT]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
All this means to me is that the density of this black hole is not high enough to capture light from emitting, meaning this is not a black hole in traditional meaning. To me like a back hole it is just another interstellar body. That range from gas giants to black holes in density. Or what am I missing?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i'm kind of curious as to how they can quantify the radius of a black hole, which is supposedly a singularity. are they talking about the radius of the EH?

in any case, and perhaps i'm just not scientifically minded enough to understand the article correctly, but this would cause me to believe that light is simply a wave without a particle accompaniment. As such, i would be lead to believe that light would need a medium through which to travel, lending credence to dark matter theories. beyond that, i can only assume that light does in fact escape a black hole, but in doing so loses so much energy that it would not be bright enough to be visible on earth without extremely sensitive instruments (et al the devices mentioned in the article) designed just for that purpose.

or, maybe they're just using a broad term for light and including X-Rays as light. i dunno, that's all i could come up with.

d1k

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It says NEAR the black hole, not coming out of it.

new topics

top topics

join