It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A report post button

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
There are a lot more threads and posts made each day than there are staff members. The staff do a great job at monitoring the board, but are not able to find every single one line respone, or other things that need staff attention. I do not expect staff to find all the problems either, because they are only human, and humans are not perfect. I think it would be a great idea if the members could help point out one line responses and other small problems, so that the staff could more easily find these problems and solve them. There could be a button after every post that says report. A list of reasons as to why you are reporting this post woulc come up so you can tell the staff why you are reporting this post. Reasons being, one line response, posted in the wrong forum, a hoax, ect...

There obviously would have to be rules made so that people do not abuse this and just report posts made by members he/she does not like. If you report a post and there is nothing wrong with the post you get a warning. If you get three warnings you get a temp ban. People who do use the report button the right way would not get a reward such as points, they would get the reward of making ATS a better place to be a member at.

I know I have sent u2u's to staff telling them of threads that were made in the wrong forums and other small problems, but I do not want to send them lots of u2u's. I think it would be easier if there was a report post button, so staff members u2u boxes would not get too many u2u's.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
That's good thinkin Bud...but... I would think it would be completely unmanageable and the staff would end-up moderating my request or going crazy by all the alerts lol. I don't know I thing it would be a real mess after a couple days. I believe ATS had a "report" button a long time ago that was removed because it caused more problems than it solved.

Anyway cheers on thinking of ways to better this site....

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It would be chaos indeed.

Btw, there is a button already. But if you're using it to report a post you should remember to manually add a link to the post you want to alert. The button is at the top of the page, between the "Members" and "Help" buttons. It's called "Complain". It works

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I'm Going To Report This!

"Report Abuse" buttons are standard fare on most boards, so its absence on ATS might seem a bit odd.

Personally, I would love to see one, but as my fellow mods have indicated, it can become a source of problems itself, and I think a similar feature did indeed prove problematic in the past.

So for now we have a "manual system".

To simulate the effect of a "report abuse" button, you can copy the link to the offending post into the Complaint window, along with a brief description of what's wrong, and we'll check it out.

Please don't let the absence of a dedicated button fool you. When members identify genuine T&C violations, we always appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Thanks for letting me know that I can use the complain button to tell the mods about T&C violations.

I just used it to report a violation of the T&C. I hope it works.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by infoseeker]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Some of the time a one line response sums up your thoughts perfectly, and gives the other members a clear view on your thinking. They are not all bad. Unfortunately, a lot of mods see red when there is no more than one line and warn the poster. I wish this wasnt so. They should only give penaltys to the stupid and unnecassary 1 liners. But then, I suppose, youve got the matter of people thinking it's okay to post a single line when they see other people do it . . . damn, it's all just a big circle

top topics

join