It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On This Fourth Of July (Op/Ed)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is an Op/Ed I think is due. Its the 4th of July. What would normally be fireworks, parties, and such shall be a bit different this 4th of July. This is a bit of words for this 4th of July I felt needed to be said

Well, its the Fourth of July again. 17 years of 4th of July's for me. For many of you on this site, it's a great deal more under the belt for you. Unfortunately regardless of how many years we have under our belts, I think it is safe to say that all of us feel differently this year then others. Every 4th of July up to this point has for me been fire works, parties, and other things related.

This year though, I have a different view for the 4th of July. This 11th I will have been on this site exactly one year. Over the course of this year I have seen a great many disheartening events unfold. As I look at the path of our country a year later my view has changed a great deal. This 4th of July I have something different in mind. That we remember our past.

Some one once told me "You don't know where you're headed till you know where you have been". I think at this point of our country's lifespan its more important then ever that we remember where we have been. That we take today to truly remember what this country was created for. It is with that being stated that I present you the Declaration of Independence:

Declaration of Independence : July 4, 1776

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident:

That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that, to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

I want you to read every word of that. I want you to read every word and think about it. If you can't see the importance of this today among all others then we have failed our forefathers. When I read this I see them talking to us directly today. I look at whats going on at the current date, July 4th 2006, and I see our forefathers telling us this 230 years later.

This document is more relevant today then any day since its creation. Every year after September 11th, 2001, it has become increasingly more and more important. I think its time we read it and truly remember WHY it was created. If we let it be thrown aside now like it has been over the course of this past century, we have again failed this nation we promised to defend as citizens of it.

I urge everyone to do exactly what it says. Dissolve your political bands and remember that the creation of our government was to protect our basic liberties. We must come to see that our forefathers felt this piece of paper was worth more then their lives, and that it should mean the same to us. For everyone who is American, this piece of paper is our lives, it is our pride, and it is the most American thing about us.

Never Forget where we have come from. This piece of paper is what our forefathers left us in order to stick to our roots. We cannot let any terrorists make us fear so much that we are willing to give one inch. No enemy, foreign or domestic, should ever let this piece of paper be forgotten. This paper is our heart, don't forget that.

In the course of this year, I have seen a great deal of people willing to put this piece of paper aside "temporarily" to defend against terrorists. Let you remember that there is no threat so great as to put aside the heart of this country. There is no cause so noble as to forget the foundations of this country. This is not a left or right issue. This is not a political issue at all. Its an American issue. Such an issue is one we must face before it is too late.

For many of you, you are old enough that within the next 10 years you will have lived out a great deal of your life. I beg you to remember there are more important things then your personal safety. For the sake of my future and my generations future, I beg that you remember this document.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

Today you choose to do nothing to stop this government, tomorrow I can do nothing to stop this government. It is on you to do something about the fact this nation has forgotten its foundations.

The Declaration Of Independence... The Fourth Of July.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by grimreaper797]

[edit on 4-7-2006 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 4/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Don't know why, I knew it was you.

Again, great op/ed grimpreaper and you're totally right! It's a wake up call for everyone who still think we can't do something against the government... Stop talking and ACT. Spread information, create associations for civils rights things like that!

Protect you're country from the dictators!!

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
As I write this, it is July 4 of 2006. Americans around the world are celebrating Independence Day. On this date in 1779, our founding Fathers announced to the world that America would be its own nation. We, as a people, asserted our will to be a free and self-determining nation of equals.

At the time we declared our independence, our future was uncertain. Enemies threatened us on every boarder. Nations that could've been friendly to us hesitated to help us in our hour of need. Our armies were fully committed, and it looked like our best leaders were making too many mistakes. On the streets, gossip said were doomed. World opinion was not with us.

As we take a moment to give thanks for the sacrificed of past generations, we should also pause to consider that today's hardships aren't that much different than those faced by the Americans of 1776. then, as now, we are called on to defend our freedoms with words and deeds. We are asked to do things that aren't popular, comfortable, or easy.

As we revel in our holiday fun, some of us will be sunburned because of too much fun. It's worth remembering that some of us will be sunburned in faraway places so that Americans at home can barbecue without fear. A few of us will swat mosquitos as we picnic. Others will suffer bugbites on faraway shores so that the rest of us can sleep easily tonight. Some of those sunburned and bug infested people will die while we sleep, and they'll do it gladly to protect the rest of us.

As we reach for another hot dog, somebody else in Iraq or Afghanistan is reaching for another weapon. They might be fighting on an empty stomach, with a burning thirst in their mouth. Let's try to remember that as we reach for another glass of iced tea. Today is Independence Day, and no mater what you may think about the political situation, the fact is that you are being free.

2006 and 1779 have one thing in common. All of us are relying on a small number of men and women to keep us safe. Like the Continental who fought under the command of George Washington, we're asking today's soldiers to be heros for a poor man's pay. We're asking them to suffer what we could not. We're asking them to do what we would not. The very least we can do is show some gratitude for what they have given us.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   

2006 and 1779 have one thing in common. All of us are relying on a small number of men and women to keep us safe. Like the Continental who fought under the command of George Washington, we're asking today's soldiers to be heros for a poor man's pay. We're asking them to suffer what we could not. We're asking them to do what we would not. The very least we can do is show some gratitude for what they have given us.

I agree with that completely, just war is the easy way out for some people.
While i do have respect for the guys over there, they are only there from bad decisions made by both our governments.

Happy thanks giving by the way.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Thank you, grimreaper for your op/ed piece. It is very wise to remember what the Founding Fathers fought for on this very important day. And yes, we do have to support the troops because they are overseas and facing the stresses of combat.

But I also have to say that on this Fourth of July, we must especially remember about our civil liberties after 9/11.

We must also never forget that the war in Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11.

The United States did "occupy" Iraq and disrupted their soveriegn state. And the difference between the American Revolution and the "Occupation of Iraq" is that our country has now taken the place of Great Britain and have implemented a series of abuses in that country simularly that the British Crown did to us in the 18th century.

So I think there is a difference between the war for "democracy" abroad and the one fought for here.

"Democracy" in Iraq was forced. The ousting of their leader was forced. None of the Iraqi citizens wrote a "Declaration of Independence". The Revolutionaries in America fought for their own democracy, achieving their own independence. When have the Iraqis been truly allowed to do the same? The only similarity, however, is that both Iraq and America were colonized by a Super Power.

But an "occupation" of a different kind is happening here. An "occupation" regarding whether we have the right to express and exercise dissent. Some of our citizens have been arrested for it. Others have been jailed.

So, when we think about "democracy", I agree with grimreaper's assessment that we truly concentrate on whether we are losing control of our civil liberties. I would also add that despite the crackdown, we still do have the power to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Through voting out those who vow to pass amendments, resolutions and bills taking away our freedoms, we can take our government back.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Through voting out those who vow to pass amendments taking away our freedoms, we can take our government back.

And how do you do that when democrates and republicans are both against their citizens? Any solutions? Because the time is running very fast toward a police state and less civil rights...

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well, first of all by going through the House and Senate "roll calls" to see which politician voted yes on amendments, bills and resolutions that restrict civil liberties during the 109th Congress. The mid-term election for the United States is in November.

During the mid-term elections, most of the seats in the House and the Senate will be up. And judging by each politician's voting record, then people can separate who supports civil liberties and who doesn't support civil liberties, regardless of political affiliation.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I am celebrating today. I am celebrating what we are supposed to stand for.
I am a patriotic American and look forward to the day when the current administration bids goodbye. Until then, i will continue celebrating things that were and things that will be. The present will be gone and the future will be brighter.

Happy 4rth!!!

Thanks for a great op/ed!

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
You have voted grimreaper797 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

As a British Ciziten, 4th July reminds us that we shouldnt rise our taxes too high

Lets us not forget, George Washington served in the British army and helped us gain control over Canada. He beat the French. That makes him a good man.

Ill leave you with some quotes about President Washington (from the Brits)

When King George III of England heard that Washington had willingly relinquished power after the Revolutionary War, he said, "If true, then he is the greatest man in the world."

After Washington died, the Duke of Wellington, an enemy, said Washington had "the purest and noblest character of modern time -- possibly of all time."

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
grim,

Thanks so much for the great op/ed. Also thanks to Justin and dgtempe for your posts.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I was able to read this last night, and wanted so badly to respond then, but I fell asleep waiting. I must let you know that the first thing I did on my computer this morning was come to check on this. Your words make me very proud and it sums most of my feelings up as well.

I went to Lowe's (construction store in U.S.) last night to buy some painting supplies, and asked one of the employees if they would be working for the 4th. His response surprised me, I knew he would probably be working, but I didn't expect him to tell me "it's not like it's an important day." That worries me. I am sure that he is not the only one that thinks like this, and I wonder how many out there today have forgotten/don't know/or just don't care anymore about what today is supposed to stand for.

After times of being called unfit to be an American, Un-American, Un-Patriotic, and all those other favorites that are out there, I'll share part of what I am going to do today. I'm sitting down with my copy of the Constitution, and I'm reading it, pondering exactly what effects it has in my life, and exactly how I'm going to get some parts back that I feel we are beginning to lose.

Happy 4th of July Everyone, and Grimreaper, thanks again for a very well written thread on why it's time to care.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
While I can appreciate the celebratory mood that the 4th usually brings, I am more cynical this year than I would like. I don’t usually celebrate holidays but this year, I find the overwhelming emotion I have around our nation’s Independence Day is sadness.

I can read the Declaration of Independence and the feeling I get is one of lack of integrity. It’s like I’m reading about another country in another time. Surely not the USA and certainly not today.

I’m sorry to be a bummer, but it’s how I feel. So today, I’m celebrating my sadness. Much like one might on the anniversary of the death of a loved one. I remember with fondness what this country stands for and I mourn for the loss.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Thanks for the support.

I tell ya, a year ago I never would have saw myself here. Never thought I would be worrying about civil liberties and such. I never thought I would be sitting here reading the Declaration Of Independence and saying "This truly is worth everything". Being able to look at this written document and see that they would have given everything to defend it only makes me stronger in my ties to america. Not the government, or my political party, but as an american.

As a person who is able to look back and realize that I am part of one of the greatest things to happen on this planet. I am part of a country who fought for a system that was simply unknown 230 years ago. Our forefathers stood proud, walking into this dark unknown with a light shining bright to guide us all. They guided us through this unknown, this dark, this death, past that revolution, giving us a system which was unknown to man til 1776 on July 4th. We got to seem the birth of true freedom.

I will be damned if I go and watch it die. Rest asure that it is not dead, because there are still people like me. There are still people like Skeptic Overlord, Like Valhall, Like Benevolent Heretic, Nightboy82, Justin Oldham, and many others out there in search for truth. There are still people out there like Jason Riter, a 21 year old young man, a neighbor of mine, who is right now in Afganistan. His father which is in Iraq. There are still people out there that believe there is something worth more then their own personal safety. Theres still that light shining out there, in the distance. It may be hard to see right now because how far we have strayed off that path of freedom, but I asure you it still burns bright to this day.

Freedom will not be sacrificed for safety, not in this neighborhood.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Justin,

HURRAY!!! Applause and salutations.!!!!

I have voted you WATS and would vote you all three of mine if I could.

Thank you for your grand words of patriotism and making us possibly, remember that freedom is not free.

SEMPER FI!!!

Semper

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well, it's not enterly true, the athenians in fact invented kind of democracy... It was Cleisthene who first thought about it...

en.wikipedia.org...
www.bbc.co.uk...

But it's true that forefather perfected it but were largely inspired by the athenian and roman empire for a lot of aspects.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Thing is we weren't suppose to be a democracy. We were suppose to be a republic. Democracy is whatever the mob wants the mob gets. There are certian rules to life though that no mob rule can take away or give away. A government was made here to protect these liberties which no democratic government could take away.

Democracy is mob rule, we are a republic. Democracy is dangerous. If you can scare enough people in the democracy to give up their basic rights in a democracy you can get them to vote them away. Democracy can be ruled with fear. Our republic, giving us certian rights that cannot be voted away, ensure us to the greatest extent that they cannot be taken away.

No government can simply vote away our basic unalienable rights. In a democracy they can, but not here.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Democracy is mob rule, we are a republic. Democracy is dangerous. If you can scare enough people in the democracy to give up their basic rights in a democracy you can get them to vote them away. Democracy can be ruled with fear. Our republic, giving us certian rights that cannot be voted away, ensure us to the greatest extent that they cannot be taken away.

So US as become a democratic state? Fear people to take away liberties by their own will ? It's working anyway.

It's time to fight. Organise groups, invade medias stations, spread the message of revolution. (will I get banned or arrested?
)

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well you make it a democratic state. Once thats done all you need to do is spread fear into the majority, then you can do whatever you want. It was not suppose to be like that. It was suppose to be that even if the majority didn't like that unalienable right, it could not be taken away. We have the right to own guns, and the government was suppose to protect that right, even if the majority didn't agree with it.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Grim,

Yet can we not look back at preceding generations and see where this document and it's intent was interpreted in different ways?

During WWII we gave up many of the rights we now argue to hold, and yet after it was over, they were all fundamentally returned. (ie. internments, espionage, wiretapping etc)

I believe that in a time of war, all things must be considered in regards to the safety of the citizens and the successful conclusion to the action. I agree that moderation is key, but things like what the NY times did, is to me treason, not defensible by the 1st amendment in a time of war. Not when their actions, or the actions of others, may directly cause the death of soldiers fighting to preserve that very document.

Semper

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Grim,

I do agree 100% on your analogy of the republic opposed to the democracy. Especially the gun ownership issue being near and dear to my heart.

Fear tactics are used and have been used in the past to manipulate large groups of people. You can find it alive and well in the political system.

The Founding Fathers were insightful enough to know that certain guarantees as they exist in a base form, can never be totally supplanted.

Semper

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join