It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll Shows UK public's attitude to US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The US has looked to the UK as its number one ally in the "War on Terror". While Blair is no doubt still keen to brown-nose Bush, the British public feel rather different, according to an opinion poll in the right-wing broadsheet The Telegraph.

www.telegraph.co.uk
As Americans prepare to celebrate the 230th anniversary of their independence tomorrow, the poll found that only 12 per cent of Britons trust them to act wisely on the global stage. This is half the number who had faith in the Vietnam-scarred White House of 1975.

Most Britons see America as a cruel, vulgar, arrogant society, riven by class and racism, crime-ridden, obsessed with money and led by an incompetent hypocrite.

American troops are failing either to win "hearts and minds" in Iraq or bring democracy to that country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After 9/11, there was a huge groundswell of sympathy for the US, but subsequent policies have wasted this goodwill. The network of secret detention centres, the more overt than usual contempt for international law, the unwillingness to admit the reality of the situation in Iraq... all these things contribute to US stock being at an all-time low in the UK.

It will be interesting to see how Blair handles the inevitable involvment of the UK in whatever new disaster Bush and co. are planning to create in Iran. He's already sacked Jack Straw as Foreign Secretary for daring to say that under no circumstances will British troops have "boots on the ground" there, and the new incumbent has been much more careful with her choice of words. There were big protests against the Iraq war, and I think there will be bigger ones still against a campaign in Iran.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Well, all I can say is that it's a good thing we don't let opinion polls drive our foreign policy.

I'd be curious to see what the Brits think of the French foreign policy, or lack thereof. Or al Qaeda.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   

and led by an incompetent hypocrite

I gotta agree with that.

He's already sacked Jack Straw as Foreign Secretary for daring to say that under no circumstances will British troops have "boots on the ground" there

Got a link for that, im sure it was another reason.

new topics

join