It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mourning for Rome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Rome is crumbling
This article discusses the multitude of monuments that have been closed to the public over recent years due to their dire states. Even after many years, millions of dollars in restorations, and the very best of intentions by the archaeologists and preservationists, time seems to be running out. They work on these wondrous testaments to time, through the seasons, through the ages, hoping to preserve at least some semblance of what was once a mighty imperial capital. I fear that soon we will lose them forever. My husband and I share a passion for treasures such as these, and we have not yet even had the chance to see Rome. What will be left when we finally arrive? What will be actually be allowed to see? The world moves on around these wonders as though they mean nothing, when in reality they truly mean so much. Isn't it interesting to think that one day these historical reminders of our ancestry will soon be gone? It makes me sad to think about it.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What a wonderful article. Thank you for sharing that. It is sad to think that the lessons of history can fade away seemingly overnight. I suppose the consolation is that there was at least an effort made to preserve these monuments long ago, so that at least their story could be seen and heard by countless people who may never have known. How many lives has the colliseum touched as the visitors ran their hands over the stone? How many young children stood in the archways and imagined their other lives as Gladiators? They've even discovered Augustus' house amonst the ruins. How amazing is that?
One day these treasures will be gone. When that sad day arrives, I hope that there is at least those precious few who remember, those who will share the legacy of our world's history with the next generation of humanity. I think that people need reminders like that, both as inspiration and as a warning of what "could be".

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Another article on monuments crumbling so badly, emergency action was taken by the government to propose funding and restoration:

But the ruins are clearly in peril. Although they are largely responsible for the city's vast annual inflow of foreign tourists' the Palatine Hill, the city's biggest draw along with the Colosseum, earns some EUR25m (pounds 17m) per year, stingy and short-sighted administrations have, year by year, starved them of the funds they need to ensure Rome lives up to its "Eternal City" tag.

"We need to do the same as Greece did 30 years ago with the Acropolis," commented Carlo Giavarini, a conservation engineer involved in drawing up a rescue plan, back in November when the alert was sounded. The problems in Athens, he went on, "were a lot less than ours. The first thing we have to do at the Palatine is understand how to divert the water that is undermining the walls. The ancient Romans knew how to do it, but not us."

No one was hurt by the collapsing wall but it forced Italy's culture bureaucrats, burdened with looking after the largest collection of important ancient buildings in the world, to contemplate emergency action.

The collapse was followed in December by the closure of the Domus Aurea, the legendary and labyrinthine Golden Palace of Nero because of fears that its walls, too, could collapse.

The palace, which enjoyed a good view of the jewel-encrusted 160ft statue of himself that Nero built where the Colosseum now stands, was only rediscovered in the 15th century, and was opened to the public six years ago.

The budget of the Culture Ministry has been cut during Silvio Berlusconi's years in power. The previous minister warned that if cuts were implemented it could mean the closure of Florence's Uffizzi Gallery, one of the most famous art museums in the world. In its 2006 budget, the ministry got a grand total of EUR60m to take care of all the country's ancient sites - to be spread over 15 years.

The sum is inadequate: officials estimate that a full restoration of the Palatine area alone would cost EUR130m over 10 years.

Here is the worst part.

Culture minister Rocco Buttiglione washed his hands of the problem. "It is clear at the moment there are not enough resources in the pipeline," he said. "The next government will have the task of filling the gap."

I wonder if other governments might pitch in to help with the cause. These monuments are, after all, a part of the world's history as well. I mean, if the Pyramids on the Giza plateau began to rapidly crumble and the government didn't have the money to fix them, I'm sure aid would be sent.

Article source

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
(adding the link to another story on the subject since the yahoo one has vanished into the bit bucket: english.people.com.cn... )

Leonard Downie produced a number of articles about this problem in the 1970's -- so the problem has been known for a long time: www.aliciapatterson.org...

Rome is attempting to reduce the smog problem by banning cars during certain days: www.italymag.co.uk...

In addition to smog, there are also vandals and souvenier hunters that are adding to the problem. I don't know of a great "answer" for this situation, but academics have been complaining about it for ages while the government sort of ignores things. Sadly, like all ignored issues, it only gets worse.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I don't know of a great "answer" for this situation

the solution is an obvious and very cheap and effective

what you need to do is block of the system of canals to allow the rivers to overflow their banks. this will result in silt burying the architecture.
then you need to treat the land on top of the ruins as an ideological playground for vast governmental military machines to fight religious wars over and so stop any attempts by archaeologists to excavate the now nicely preserved remains

what
worked in mesopotamia for 5000 years didn't it ?

new topics

top topics

join