It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Media Says U.S. Attack Would Prompt Nuclear War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
North Korean Media ran an eerie message of Nuclear War if the United States conducted any preemptive attack. This warning was a reaction to the unverified report of a US military spy plane brought into North Korean airspace. Now with the advent of the Taepodong-2 missile, a Nuclear Strike from North Korea is possible.

www.bloomberg.com
July 3 (Bloomberg) -- North Korea's state-run media said today the country's army is ready to answer any preemptive U.S. military attack against a missile site with a ``relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war.''

The Korean Central News Agency, citing an unidentified Rodong Sinmun newspaper ``analyst,'' highlighted what it described as aggressive U.S. intentions by repeating accusations made last week that the U.S. military is sending spy planes into its airspace.

The analyst said ``the fond talk of the U.S. about `dialogue' and `peace' is a false advertisement to mislead public opinion at home and abroad'' and he accused the U.S. government of a ``criminal attempt to start a nuclear war on the Korean peninsula at any cost,'' according to the news agency's own English translation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well here goes North Korea starting something because they haven't had the limelight due to the "Nuclear Threat" that Iran poses. Since I haven't done much research on the subject I can't comment on whether North Korea is crazy enough to boast something such as Nuclear War, but I guarantee you that the rest of the world is taking this seriously. This is slightly worrying for me after reading the reports that the Taepodong-2 can reach American shores, and with me living on the west coast, I would greatly stand by action to eliminate this threat. Because unlike Iran this country is fully capable of a Nuclear Strike with 13 warheads.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just an update here is a response from the White House

White House Response

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - North Korea's vow to react with a nuclear strike if the United States launched an attack was "deeply hypothetical," the White House said on Monday.

I didn't know whether I should ad this to the article or whether to submit this here. Mod's feel free to move it or tell me what needs to be done.

EDIT::Link too long.

[edit on 7/3/2006 by The_Final]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
From article given.

In a war of words with Washington over North Korea's suspected plans to test-fire a long-range missile, Pyongyang promised an "annihilating strike" if attacked by the United States.

Now does that mean if you shoot my missile down i will annihilate you?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Now does that mean if you shoot my missile down i will annihilate you?

Yes, but they were referring to their test missile site . Not an actual live Nuclear Weapon. Because according to the original source they have 13 warheads so I suppose that it would be possible for them to return fire in the event.

EDIT:: Forgot a very important bolded word.

[edit on 7/3/2006 by The_Final]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yes, but they were referring to their test missile. Not an actual live Nuclear Weapon.

Thats what i ment, would they take that as an act of war?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

North Korea's state-run media said today the country's army is ready to answer any preemptive U.S. military attack against a missile site with a ``relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear

A missile site not the actual test missile itself, check my other post I forgot to write that in there. Because there has been accusations that a US Spy Plane has been seen over Korean Airspace so now they are afraid that we are gonna swoop down and destroy their nuclear bombs. Which if we did correctly....how would they retaliate

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
A question, this ICBM is untested right? If so, how the hell can NK retaliate with unproven tech? Their meager # of warheads remain on their own soil, right?

Oops, 3 questions.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Yes it's untested, but the thing is, is that there is no actual proof that their nuclear warheads are in their country. For all we know their could be a few warheads in the San Francisco docks. Personally I think they are just blowing smoke, but we will see.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm getting tired of this clown. Sounds to me that the state ran media is just trying to make it look like they are standing up to the US. The North Korean people will be the ones who suffer the most if there ever is an attack on the west coast. Yes it will hurt us but it the retaliation will be swift and devastating. It's a loose loose situation. Come on you North Koreans rise up and boot this moron he's just a brat that likes to wave his hands in the air..

Edit: Profanity. C'mon man, this is the News portal.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I believe it's sabre rattling; nothing more. If they were the threat they are trying to make themselves out to be, I don't think they would be so vociferous (for lack of a better word) in describing their intents. It seems they are attempting to "scare" us into not attacking them. The truth is that if they did launch a nuclear attack against us they would be reduce to ashes and rubble in a matter of hours. THEY would be anhilated! And they know it!!

I do believe, however, that NK is more of a threat than Iran is at this time. Both leaders are ego-maniacal certifiable nut-jobs. I get the feeling, though, that Kim Jung Ill is slightly less stable than the Iranian President. He might be willing to launch an attack DESPITE the fact that it would mean the end to North Korea. Plus, I don't think Iran even has a deliverable weapon at this time. There's more political currency (and time) yet to be spent on Iran than in North Korea.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
He must really want to launch that missle for some reason.

Next time he will say let me launch two missles or I'll nuke you.
Let me launch even bigger missles or I'll nuke you.
When I defensively invade S. Korea stay away or I'll nuke you.

This was a bad move on North Korea. They went balls to the wall way to quick and now have left themselves no room. Plus they used the one thing everyone wanted to take from them because everyone feared they would use nuclear threats to get their way. Iran will be no different.

I doubt it will happen but better to call the bluff when the other guy has few chips on the table than call him when he has half the pot. Better yet is to get the bad player out of the game.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
You know what if NK was up to anything you sure bet his allies were briefed.
If there was something sinister about his launch then Iran and etc would know about it i believe.
This is sabre rattling, but what will the future hold, this instability will not stay the same balance.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
his is slightly worrying for me after reading the reports that the Taepodong-2 can reach American shores, and with me living on the west coast, I would greatly stand by action to eliminate this threat. Because unlike Iran this country is fully capable of a Nuclear Strike with 13 warheads.
Going by that logic, they should strike the US to eliminate any threats that can reach their shores.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Nothing but pure propaganda to keep the North Korean people ignorant and under control. They don’t know better and will suck up fear mongering campaigns like a sponge.

Reasons why North Korea will not, and cannot launch any "nuclear war".

1. North Korea is not believed to have any nuclear warheads capable of fitting onto a Taep'o-dong-2
missile, a nuclear weapon is not the same as a missile capable warhead.

2. The Taep'o-dong-2 cannot reach the lower 48 and even Hawaii for that matter with a heavy payload, aka nuclear warhead.

3. North Korea has one missile launch facility, the Musudan-ri missile site. in an event of a war North Korea would only be able to launch one offensive missile before its missile site is destroyed and its missiles grounded.

4. The US has anti-ballistic missile systems capable of shooting down IRBM/ICBM’s off North Korea’s coast as we speak, and others on high alert.

5. And last but not least the US has more than enough conventional and nuclear means to return the favor to North Korea tenfold if they launch anything toward us let alone a nuclear warhead.

top topics

join