It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Hatchling Drops Through Chimney - What to do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This morning a very young hatchling of what appears to be a chimney swoop, fell along with the nest into the fireplace. This is the only one that is there, and it is very very young. Eyes are not opened yet, and there isn't even the typical "fur" that you would see on a baby bird. I don't know what to do about it, because all of the groups that were here before Katrina are no longer around, and the local zoo said they couldn't help.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm going to put the nest back together and add a little bit of straw for it to stay warm in, but I really don't know what to do from there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Niteboy

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Take a look at this webpage;
www.starlingtalk.com...
It has some general emergency care instructions.
I have also posted on another forum (Bird related), and am waiting for a reply

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm reading through this information at this moment. Thanks for responding to this. I couldn't see the poor thing just being left on its own because I don't think there would be a chance for it. Thanks again!

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
my sister was recently handed three babies by someone who had found them on the ground. she has bred a few cockatiels in her time so she's pretty good with birds.
As far as I know, she got hold of some mealworms to feed them on, which she had to do every couple of hours during the day. I watched her doing it once. She would stick a worm on the end of a cocktail stick and would shove it pretty far down the chicks throats. I don't know what else exactly was involved though.
I know it's pretty hard to find anyone such as the RSPCA in the uk to take on wild birds, so she just had to tackle it herself. She did well. Two of the three survived.

I hope you have luck with this little one, I know it's touch and go when they are so little , and they often die from shock.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Sorry, but no one is replying on the other forum.

All I can say is to try and keep it warm over night, and I will post in the morning if anyone has replied over night.

Hope things go ok...

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyacinth
Sorry, but no one is replying on the other forum.

All I can say is to try and keep it warm over night, and I will post in the morning if anyone has replied over night.
Hope things go ok...

So far so good. The temperature is about 94 in the box per the instructions from that website, and this is the first time that I have ever bought Karo Syrup without the intention of making a pecan pie.

Little bugger looks happy, so I suppose that is all that counts for the time being.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
How's it going niteboy82?

I've still not had any replies, sorry I've not been of much help.
If I do get any responce, I will post as soon as possible.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hyacinth, your original reply has been incredibly helpful, as I have been able to keep the little one alive and warm. Boy does he/she eat! I'm kinda going slow with that, I'd rather it be a little undernourished compared to it dying from eating too much. I'm starting to grow attached to a bald bird....:bnghd:

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I have had a reply at last....

Take a look at;
www.la-spca.org...
Poster on other forum thinks they should be able to help you. There is a phone number at the bottom of the first page.

Birds are very loveable, they have a quality no other animal has, I still don't know what it is.....

top topics

join