It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
do you all think that is your patriotic duty to join the armed forces and serve your country???

[edit on 3-7-2006 by ANTIJIHAD]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
When you're family and way of life is being threatened and your country is being invaded then yes. When your country is being manipulated and you're going on a world tour of destruction and pillage then No.

bih

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I agree with the above poster.If america was attacked then I would join

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
ABSOLUTLY but then again i served my beloved country for 8 years in the marines...i think the discipline, and honor, and integraty you learn by serving your country makes you a better person in general, and adds leaps and bounds to your character.

In my current job i run security for 6 intercontiantal hotels and i personally hire someone with military especially marine corps back grounds. I know they know how to do a job well, and in a timely mannor.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Personally, If we did go to war and there was a massive risk to the UK mainland, i would bear arms and defend Britannia in all her glory.

Jason

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bramski
When you're family and way of life is being threatened and your country is being invaded then yes. When your country is being manipulated and you're going on a world tour of destruction and pillage then No.

No i dont think its your patriotic duty, but i do think its patriotic. I dont think we have a "patriotic duty", but i do think its good to be patriotic & show you believe in the American values.

About joining the armed forces, i do agree with the above poster, i would only do it as a "defensive" option and only if there is an immediate threat in the homeland. Its just my personal opinion though im sure others think different. Either way you shouldnt take these comments to heart.

You dont have to join the armed forces to be patriotic. Simply wearing a shirt with the american flag can also be patriotic. Joining your local law enforcement can be patriotic, pretty much anything that lives up to the American values we have can be considered patriotic. In fact I would much rather be a local police officer and help the people that live around me, rather than be shipped off to another country to help people i cant communicate with.

Again just my opinion, I was actually wanting to join the armed forces for a while and was signing up with a recruiter, however I decided my time with my family (wife and baby) are far too valuable to risk losing. Thats the only reason i didnt do it.

[edit on 7/4/2006 by H34T533K3R]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Terrorism is an immediate threat. Muslim Islamic Extremists have been carrying out attacks on U.S. soldiers and embassies since the 90s. They really did their big blow on 9/11, however. And they'd still be doing them if Bush hadn't gone to war to stop them.

Don't use that "If the country was in imminent danger, I would sign up," excuse, the country was in imminent danger since before 9/11 and continues to be under a significant threat. The terrorists won't let up if the U.S. let's up.

IMO, all that says is, "I am not willing to fight unless the $#*! hits the fan and I have no choice." Remember the Orwell saying: "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

But IMO, no I wouldn't say it is necessarily everyone's "patriotic duty" to join the armed forces. It is one's patriotic duty to be a good citizen and not do anything to harm the nation. But patriotism can be displayed in many ways, such as working as a scientist or engineer on defense projects for the U.S., for working as a law enforcement officer, fire fighters, etc...but just being a good citizen in general.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Honestly, unless I MYSELF was being threatened, no I would not defend the US.

But I am Canadian, so that is a hypothetical thought.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WheelsRCool
But IMO, no I wouldn't say it is necessarily everyone's "patriotic duty" to join the armed forces. It is one's patriotic duty to be a good citizen and not do anything to harm the nation. But patriotism can be displayed in many ways, such as working as a scientist or engineer on defense projects for the U.S., for working as a law enforcement officer, fire fighters, etc...but just being a good citizen in general.

As a veteran with 12 years under my belt, I can honestly say that is the most well-written post on this kind of subject that I have ever seen. I'm giving you a WATS vote, bro.

You have voted WheelsRCool for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

[edit on 5/7/06 by Bripe Klmun]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bih
I agree with the above poster.If america was attacked then I would join

America was attacked on 9/11. Get your ass to boot camp!

new topics

top topics

join