It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Street lights going out when you walk under them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Lately, I've been going out for walks at night. Every single time I pass under a certain light, it will turn either on or off. It's not half the time, not 3 out of 4 times, it's *every time*. Out of 20+ walks. I can see the light from a few hundred feet away, but I have yet to see it do anything until I get to within about 30 feet of it. However I didn't really think much of this--it's in the parking lot of a private business, and looks more like a giant halogen light rather than a normal streetlamp. I assumed it was a motion light. That didn't explain why the light would turn *off* just as often, but it's far more likely than me controlling it by some kind of energy field.

When I went out tonight, I took my usual route out, and the light turned on for me as usual. Then, I decided to take a different route back. I turned to walk down one block, and at about 1/4th of the way down, I approached a street light (a normal sodium light this time). It started flickering rapidly, somewhat like a dancing candle flame. Then as I got about 30 feet past it, the light went back to normal. I walked all the way to the end of the block, looking over my shoulder the whole time, and it was working perfectly. I stopped and watched it a for a minute or so. I concluded that it was just a coincidence, which I could prove by turning around, walking under it again, and seeing that nothing would happen. So I did. I got closer and closer, and it didn't act up. When I got to within 5 feet of being directly under it, I thought "Well that settles it. I knew nothing would happen, and it didn't." At *that exact moment*, the light suddenly died. Two people came out of their house to walk their dogs, and I heard one of them mention that the streetlight was out (which I doubt they'd say if it was a regular occurance). It didn't turn back on, even after I kept walking and watched it from several hundred feet away.

Overall, I'm very skeptical. Although I don't dismiss paranormal phenomena, I have a hard time believing in things that I haven't seen for myself, and cannot be explained or reliably reproduced. I've experienced weirder things than flaky streetlights and it still hasn't swayed me much, but these kinds of events are enough to make me wonder sometimes.

I'm going to follow that same route again tomorrow to see if I can reproduce it. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this, and if there are any theories about what could cause it to happen.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I have the same exact thing happen to me when I am outside walking around at night. I'll have the same effect if I'm in a car as well...as we pass under the light, it'll go out.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Its quite strange you mention this.

My father was jogging on a road through a nature reserve in my neighborhood and when he came home he looked a bit swayed & he told me that while he was jogging through, each light he went past shut off - one by one. Needless to say he beat his old time running home.

Whats strange is that street lights are usually turned on/off in groups of like 4-8 or something and as far as I know, individual lights cant be shut off.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenem
Its quite strange you mention this.

My father was jogging on a road through a nature reserve in my neighborhood and when he came home he looked a bit swayed & he told me that while he was jogging through, each light he went past shut off - one by one. Needless to say he beat his old time running home.

Whats strange is that street lights are usually turned on/off in groups of like 4-8 or something and as far as I know, individual lights cant be shut off.

mabye someone was playing a prank on him

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
sorry to burst everyones bubble about being special. the lights turn off when they get hot then they turn on again. I had lost my driving prevliges and while i was waiting for the buses at nite i noticed that all the lights turned off and on sometimes there was a car coming by sometimes nothing was in the area.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I doubt it.

He was jogging between 6-7pm. Its a big long nature reserve with a road that runs in the middle from the top the bottom.

It would be impossible to track & shutdown individual lights as he ran past. Considering you cant turn off indiviual lights, only groups.

Theres bush all around & you wouldnt even be able to see anyone else on that road because it snakes all the way down.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
if you have some time stand under one of these lights 15-20min. and see for yourself. i had to waiting for a bus.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
All humans have an Electro magnatic field around them, it's only slight but it's there. Perhaps your just having an effect on the electronics in the lights as you walk past, it's not a perminent thing. You may be having the human equivelent of a solar flare and generating more Electro Static than usual. Just a thought.

When I was a Teenager I used to drain watch batteries, a new digital watch battery that lasts a year, would usually last a week with me before It was flat.

Strange but true. Like all things it shouldn't last, but try not to stand out in a storm.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Signaltonoise,

This is a story near and dear to my heart. You see, my leaving my house for a walk early morning or late evenings will guarantee a neighborhood blackout.

I used to live in Tempe, Arizona...although nice, its very scary having to walk in the dark- specially there.
Our car broke down- and while in the shop for repairs, i had to walk 1 1/2 miles at 4:30 am everyday. (no early buses)....I might as well have shot at the streetlights with a bee bee gun.

One by one, as i entered the field of its light, it would go off. I would look behind me to see nothing but complete darkness
It got so bad i had to go buy a flashlight, pepper spray and walk "tough" through the darkened path all the way to work. Then it became a game. I made my husband walk me most of the time and he couldnt figure it out either.
Also, they go out even if i am in a car. *poof*
Anyway, thanks for posting this- Does anyone have a scientific or rational explanation to this?

Rock Ape- I like your explanation. I notice i dont put out lights here on Cape Cod nearly as often. At least, not yet.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by RaiderJose
sorry to burst everyones bubble about being special. the lights turn off when they get hot
I dont buy this. For this to happen consistently each time i step out the door it is too much of a conincidence.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I've had this happen to me before... especially during a time in my life when everything was progressing in what seemed an almost "magical" (not the right word, but can't think of a better one) way.
I still dismiss it as chance, but those times when I asked for a sign, knew one would go out at that moment, or was just feeling extra wonderful... and the lights would go out... I just had to smile. May be coincidence, but still enough to make you think and wonder.

About.com has a neat article: paranormal.about.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Ape
All humans have an Electro magnatic field around them, it's only slight but it's there. Perhaps your just having an effect on the electronics in the lights as you walk past, it's not a perminent thing. You may be having the human equivelent of a solar flare and generating more Electro Static than usual. Just a thought.

This is what I believe as well.

You should see what happens to t.v.s when I get to close. They'll either get really static or the channel will be knocked out and the t.v. goes to a blue screen.

I have noticed that at other times they'll improve in reception. I have wondered if the result has anything to do with how I'm feeling at the time, whether good or bad.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fear_the_Sheeple
I still dismiss it as chance, but those times when I asked for a sign, knew one would go out at that moment, or was just feeling extra wonderful... and the lights would go out... I just had to smile.
Well, i guess you're entittled. I wasnt asking for any signs and it happened daily to me.
Its not chance either. I'm sure it has to do with electro magnetics. When i ask for signs i stub my toe on a chair- now there's a painful sign.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RaiderJose
sorry to burst everyones bubble about being special. the lights turn off when they get hot then they turn on again. I had lost my driving prevliges and while i was waiting for the buses at nite i noticed that all the lights turned off and on sometimes there was a car coming by sometimes nothing was in the area.

I used to think this was the case, but then I remembered one particular light. It went off as I walked under it on the way to a soda machine, while I was there at the soda machine it came back on. When I went back under it going the other way, it went out again. We watched it for about another 20 minutes or so and it didn't go out once in that whole time.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Well, i guess you're entittled. I wasnt asking for any signs and it happened daily to me.
Its not chance either. I'm sure it has to do with electro magnetics. When i ask for signs i stub my toe on a chair- now there's a painful sign.

I just meant for me, since I never had other incedents of me having influence on electronics or anything. That about.com site has a bunch of stories, and I do believe that there are people who affect things in that way, just not me. That's why I felt it was a different thing then just electro magnets.

I still look for them to go off, and it still always makes me smile, so I guess I don't completely believe it's chance...

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This phenomena is called S.L.I.D.E.R.S. try a search to find topics about it on this forum or google.com

There is a woman under investigation who made all the electrical appliance short circuit. Many fridges and lights have to be replaced...expensive :S

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I am on the side of the electromagnetic theory(so to speak). I have not noticed it with streetlights but I have noticed it with many other things. Certain electronic devices (i/e computers, tv's, amplifiers, stereo's) sometimes but not often will just fry. What normally happens to me is they just don't work correctyly for a moment.
THis is especially true with computers when I am at a business. I have noticed several times this happening. One time at an airport the lady behind the computer freaked out and said damn I've never seen that before and was totally meaning that I did it somehow. Sounds weird but anyway.

I am curious to see how many of you have Aquarius in you.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I used to have something similiar, lights would go out, bulbs blow and a tingling in my arm, it's gone now.

This was in a paticulary streesful time of my life, I had school issues, my best friend had moved to Europe and I was constantly sick.

My theory is that humans have stores of electricity that are discharged at stressful times, but some have so much that it's always being let off them.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raven18

I am curious to see how many of you have Aquarius in you.

I am an Aquarian and t.v.s are not the only items that are effected by me either.
I have noticed that a state of heightened emotion, both very good or very bad, does seem to make a difference.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Youre not the only one...

-The time sheet varies for me alot..no matter what time I went aslong as it was night, the lights always flashed or went on/off. Even Weirder is, when I was with my brother it happen twice as much.for example; Instead of 2 lights it was 4.

I cant explain this...it still occurs today..

-Although I did look into this, And learned that when the lights over heat. they shut off for a limited amount of time. and thats way some shut off & some dont. Either because they shut off prior to your arival or they arent overheating quite as much.

Hope this helps

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join