It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil wells cause earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
source

I have long thought this myself. Removing fluids from the earth can cause earthquakes. So can injecting fluid to replace the oil. I have noticed that most earthquake activity lately, surprisingly has been around where the current major oil fields are.

Oil wells cause earthquakes

In 1958, a geologist calculated that injecting fluid into the ground increases the chance of earthquakes. Thirty-one years later, another geologist has shown the reverse: pumping gas or oil out of the ground can also trigger earthquakes.

Pumping out underground crude contracts the rock in oil reservoirs and sets up large pressure changes over short distances, Paul Segall of the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park, Calif., calculates in the October GEOLOGY. Vertical contraction makes the ground above the reservoir sink, while horizontal stresses pull surrounding rock inward. If the pull becomes strong enough to shear the rock, an earthquake results.

Lord, help us in our stupidity and greed. We have the brains to develope something safer and more earth friendly. Hopefully before it is too late.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Lord, help us in our stupidity and greed. We have the brains to develope something safer and more earth friendly. Hopefully before it is too late.

We've known full well that Hemp can be used for fuel for centuries.
Fuel for vehicles, etc, since Ford produced a car that ran entirely on Hemp fuel for almost
a century.
Hemp is a weed that grows anywhere, the seed is 80% oil.

Write your representatives in the government and tell them to end
Hemp prohibition today.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer

We've known full well that Hemp can be used for fuel for centuries.
Fuel for vehicles, etc, since Ford produced a car that ran entirely on Hemp fuel for almost
a century.
Hemp is a weed that grows anywhere, the seed is 80% oil.

Hemp, don't want to stir up the religious right that elected Pres. Bush and other leaders of the world now do we, there are probably other alternatives than weed out there, but not making money for the cronies of the people in power.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
After the Asian Tsunami, I e-mailed one of the USGS reps asking if just maybe the seismic charges
the oil companies had used exploring the plate further south could have possibly upset the balance
causing the plate to shift.

My reasoning was that these diagnostic charges sometimes reach miles through solid rock.

He replied that he didn't think they were powerful enough to make any such difference, but I can't help but wonder.

If I am right, then oil exploration charges at the opposite end the that tectonic plate could have caused the deaths of 100's of thousands.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Maybe oil is like a liquid bumper, but when you drain it, theres nothing but rock to absorb the plates crashing together ?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Very interesting.

Here's a related podcast and thread:

Quakes Trigger Quakes

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by valkeryie

If you have the time check out my thread on Oil being a lubricant for the tectonic plates.

new topics

top topics

join