It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Fear of God Equal to the Fear of Satan?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I believe Satan is only an instrument of God to punish the sinful and wicked. As such, we should always fear the Omnipotent God only, and learn from our sins and wickedness so that we become more like God and devote our lives completely to Holiness and Good/Great Acts. Blessings to all.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If God loves me, I have no reason to fear God.

If God loves me, I have no reason to fear Satan.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow

If God loves me, I have no reason to fear Satan.

That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day!

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
wellwhatnow, well said, but are you freed of all sins for Eternity?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It says in the Bible, though I dont know where, that if you mock the Devil he will fear you! Its the reason why Bono from U2 dressed as MacPhisto the Devil during the ZooTv tour. He's a very religious guy is Bono and he wanted to mock the Devil.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

Proverbs 1:7

You shall fear the LORD God, and serve Him...

Deut 6:13

You shall keep the commandments of the LORD God,
to walk in His ways, and to fear Him.

Deut 8:6

.... by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Proverbs 16:6

Who shall not fear You,O Lord, and glorify Your Name ?
For You are Holy: for all nations shall come and worship before
You, for Your judgments are made manifest.

Revelation 15:4

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Ivanova]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
In the history of my life and other peoples' experiences, destroy the devil or at least subdue him. One of my goals in the afterlife, at the risk of sounding arrogant before God, is to destroy Satan completely.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Excellent quotations from the Holy Bible, Ivanova.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well actually, it is written....

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding" (Prov. 9:10).

for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (St. Luke 18:9-14)

"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Phil 2:12)

Is the Fear of God Equal to the Fear of Satan?
"Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in Hell" (St. Matthew 10:28)

St. Maximos the Confessor,( Early Church Father,Maximos the Confessor was born in 580,) teaches that the memory of death, when accompanied by the memory of God, is very helpful to the believer in his life in Christ: "Nothing is more fearful than the thought of death, and nothing is more marvelous than the memory of God." For, as he says, the memory of death "produces in the soul salutary sorrow," while the memory of God produces in the soul "joy and gladness." This is why the Prophet said, "I remembered God and was pleased" (Ps. 76,4:LXX), while the wise man of the Old Testament was advised, "Remember the end of your life, and then you will never sin" (Wis. Sir. 7,36). For it is impossible to keep oneself unwounded by sin if one does not experience the salutary "sourness" of the memory of death .[6]

If one thinks of their death, which will come to ALL , then one will live a life with LOVE and not try to do bad/evil.

The Wisdom of Sirach says: "In all you do, remember the end of your life, and then you will never sin" (7,36)
This only is acceptable to people who believe in life after death...to others, it is merely a non existent phrase.

helen

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is from a newsletter I get --which is why I'm posting it in its entirety, permission granted at the bottom of the e-mail as follows: Please feel free to use, copy or distribute any material within the "Biblical Hebrew E-Magazine" for non-profit educational purposes only.)

Their website is
Biblical Hebrew Research Center

Word of the Month - יראה (Yirah - Fear)
By: Jeff A. Benner

This Hebrew noun is used forty-five times and is most frequently translated as fear. In our English language fear is a state of excitedness, in a negative way, toward something terrible. Before we look at the Hebraic meaning of this word we will examine its use in the common context of "the Fear of the Lord" which appears twenty-seven times.

Proverbs 15:33 (RSV)
The fear of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility goes before honor.

The common understanding of this verse is that if one is afraid of the Lord he will have wisdom but, as we shall see this is not consistent with its use in the Hebrew language. The Hebrew for this phrase is יראת יהוה (yirat Yahweh). When two nouns are placed together they are in the construct state meaning that these two words should be considered one. Another clue that these two nouns are in the construct is the change of the letter ה (h). When the first word of the construct phrase ends with the letter ה (h), it changed to the letter ת (t).

Below is a complete list of construct phrases from the book of Genesis where the second word in the construct is "the Lord" (Yahweh).

The Word of the Lord---(Genesis 15:1)
The Voice of the Lord---(Genesis 3:8)
The Face of the Lord----(Genesis 4:16)
The Name of the Lord---(Genesis 4:26)
The Eyes of the Lord----(Genesis 6:8)
The Garden of the Lord-(Genesis 13:10)
The Angel of the Lord---(Genesis 16:7)
The Way of the Lord----(Genesis 18:19)
The Mount of the Lord--(Genesis 22:14)

You will notice that in every instance the first word in the construct (word, voice, etc) belongs to the second word of the construct (Yahweh). The "fear" in the phrase "the fear of the Lord" is not our fear, it is the Lord's fear. Because God cannot "fear" we must look to the Ancient Hebrew concrete meaning of this word to understand it.

The word yirah comes from the parent root yar which means "to flow" and is related to words meaning river and rain, from their flowing, and to throw in the sense of flowing. From this we can see that when one is afraid the insides begin to shake, a flowing of the insides. But as the word yirah means "to flow" it is not limited to "fear" alone.

In our introductory verse we saw that wisdom comes from this "fear of the Lord." Compare that with Exodus 31:3 - "And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship." It is "the Spirit of God (the Lord)" that gives us wisdom in the same way that "the fear of the Lord" does. The Hebrew word for "spirit" is "ruach" literally meaning the "wind," which is also a flowing. The "fear of the Lord" is his Spirit which flows out of him into us giving us wisdom, knowledge and understanding.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
GT - You probably already know that you and I don’t share the same views on religion. In my belief, there is no sin. I am free from sin and always have been.

Because I am not a Christian, I do not follow the teachings of the Christian Bible. My Bible says,

“Be at peace with God.”

The idea is that there is a bit of God – a divine spark – in each of us. If I fear God, I fear myself, and you, and every person everywhere. If God frightens me, I can’t offer sincere thanks to God, or call on God for assistance. On the other hand, if I am at peace with God, I am at peace with myself, and every person everywhere. That peace allows me to seek God and not hide from God.

I am not preaching to you. I would not ever try to change your beliefs. I am not telling you that you are wrong. In fact, I think that each of us has every right to our own faith and that, within reason, one should do whatever is needed in order to feel a personal relationship with a higher power if they chose to have one.

I was simply supporting a bit of spiritual diversity with my posts.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
wellwhatnow, you are articulate. I have learned from other religions. But the religion that reaches the deepest part of my soul is Christianity.

One of the principles that makes the USA great is the freedom of religion. Would you care to share your religion?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am a Unitarian Universalist.

Here is my church:

UU Boulder, CO

I am currently studying to enter the ministry, so I often participate in the discussions on religion and spirituality on ATS.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
God Bless You wellwhatnow in your Ministry Studies and Ministry. Your Church appears to be a Good Church. I wouldn't mind listening to one of your sermons someday.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto
It says in the Bible, though I dont know where, that if you mock the Devil he will fear you!

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

That's alittle bit different from what you said. satan has the power to tempt someone to sin. Through faith in Christ a person can resist and say no to temptations and satan doesn't like this and it appears he will be subdued to some degree.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
but are you freed of all sins for Eternity?

Through faith in Christ, YES!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
One of my goals in the afterlife, at the risk of sounding arrogant before God, is to destroy Satan completely.

I really like your enthusiam. Place your faith in Christ and that can be your goal in this life, say no to temptation and sin and you will have done your part to destroy the workings of satan.

In the hereafter that is God's Job, read Revelation ch.20.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm really not answering any particular post, just browsing and thinking.

Sunday evening I saw a headline to the effect that early in the am of 7/3, a "near-miss" asteroid large enough to blow the earth in 1/2, maybe, would cruise by the earth, just a tad past the moon, the closest an asteroid had come in I don't remember when.

I started thinking, "How can such a thing be measured with such certainty?" What if they were wrong? What if it was actually to be the "end of the world"?

In a flash I realized I was NOT ready for death, nor disaster, nor the 2nd Coming. In fact, I'd been holding onto a ball of resentment against a family member for some days and was currently "not speaking to her!" "She" didn't know what I was about, but I certainly did.

Not only so, but I felt I was "justified" in my position, so had felt no need to curb the "root of bitterness" that had grown up around the situation.

The following verse came to mind: Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: 15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled.."

I certainly prayed then and asked forgiveness for hanging onto my "wounds" as if I had a right to be resentful.

I'd come face to face with an unnoticed sin working within, and it was frightening to think that I might have gone to meet my Lord with that sin on my soul, especially if "many" had been "defiled" because of my disobedience. I would be responsible for that!

Regardless of how close that asteroid actually came to earth, I was grateful that the Spirit had used the occasion to remind me that this sin was within.

It was fear of God that spurred me to confess and ask forgiveness for the sin.

There was no fear of satan in me, and never will be again, for though I once thought him powerful, I've long since realized he is defeated, having lost the keys to death and hell, and can only destroy those whom, as the Scripture says, "he MAY devour" (1 Pet 5:8)

In other words, if we don't give him the power, he can do nothing against those protected by faith in God and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
That's awesome, curiosity. And so noble of you to share it publicly, too. I hope it hits home with anyone reading it who needs to read it.

In other words, if we don't give him the power, he can do nothing against those protected by faith in God and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I've said this before, I will probably say it many more times--it is something I only learned recently, but it blew me out of the water with the way it resounded as TRUTH inside me, upon hearing it--faith in God comes directly from Him, that is He loves us and we feel it and it manifests as trust that He IS and so we love Him back.

We love Him because He first loved us. And we must love others as He loves us. That way they will manifest the effects of this faith, themselves.

God forgave us, and we must forgive others just as He did, or else we might jeopardize that mercy.

And the compassion and non-judging demeanor manifested in that kind of godly grace toward all other souls--that is the holy spirit at work!

I hope you didn't mind me expounding on your confession/testimony, curiosity--in the event I derailed from your initial premise. I'm not saying it is your premise, but it is mine and you sparked a new facet of communication regarding something I know is CRUCIAL for all of mankind right here and now, in this very hour (and the next and the next, but starting NOW).

Its all about LOVE. GOD IS LOVE. God is more LOVE than we can imagine-and far more forgiveness. Preaching HELL is not loving one's neighbor. We can not share God's love by using His name in threats and ultimatums on His behalf--He didn't give us that charge--it is not the message of this generation.

I was born in 1968, which was a GREAT year for love but a stormy one for politics.
But these days, many look back and condemn that generation for drugs and 'free sex' and what-not--but in a day and age where there are just as many men killed in Iraq as there were murders in Detroit, MI on a SINGLE DAY--maybe it's the judging others who are as human as we are manifesting the 'accuser.' We are manifesting Satan far more than we are GOD!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow

If you love God you would fear losing Gods love.

[edit on 6-7-2006 by JohnDoe43]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join