It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

find a penny, pick it up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
"Pennies may soon be a thing of the past"
news.yahoo.com...

By JEFF DONN, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 25 minutes ago

PLYMOUTH, Mass. - In this village settled by thrifty Pilgrims, you can still buy penny candy for a penny, but tourist Alan Ferguson doubts he'll be able to dig any 1-cent pieces out of his pockets.

He rarely carries pennies because "they take up a lot of room for how much value they have." Instead, like so many other Americans, he dumps his pennies into a bucket back home in Sarasota, Fla.

Pity the poor penny!

It packs so little value that merry kids chuck pennies into the fountain near the candy store, just to watch them splash and sink. Stray pennies turn up everywhere: in streets, cars, sofas, beaches, even landfills with the rest of the garbage.

A penny bought a loaf of bread in early America, but it's a loafer of a coin in an age of inflation and affluence, slowly sliding into monetary obsolescence.

so what do you do with your pennies? do you even carry them anymore?
i do carry pennies but not much maybe like four or five. but that's only when purchases that i want to make are too small for a debit/credit card. i rarely even carry paper money, at least not a lot. about 20 bucks. the banks in my area will only take pennies if you are an account holder with them. and the coinstar machines, in my area have a limit on how many pennies you can put in at one time.
so what about you? how do you treat your pennies? do you think the penny is starting to find it way out of the US monetary arena? if anything, pennies do make good wish fountain fodder

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I actually cash in over $500 a year in spare change that goes straight into my kids savings account. A large portion of that is in pennies! I think it would break my heart if pennies went by the wayside!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
A friend once said to me....

"find a penny, pick it up

all day long, you'll have

a f@%*ing penny"

Wise words mate!

McP.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Mcphisto, for some reason, your post along with that avatar make your response oh so much better!

Well, I save up all my loose change that I pull out of my pockets each evening, and cash it in at the end of the month. I can usually average about 100-150 dollars, US, each month by doing it. Therefore, I always pick up pennies when I see them. I also noticed something else... When I am in a "ritzy" part of town, quarters are dropped and not picked up. *shrug* (btw, we need a shrugging emote). I guess it all depends on what stage you are at in your life, and how much that penny may mean to you. I remember a time when I would pool all those pennies together to go get another baseball.

top topics

join