It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question regarding CPU usage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I have just installed BONIC as I thought all the idle hours my PC has during the day should be put to use.

When all I have is the little ‘B’ icon in my taskbar, is it processing?

When I open up BONIC by clicking the icon, is it processing?

Cheers.

P.S. there are lots of spokes, aren’t there?!

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Also...

Does it work when you dont have a screensaver? I.e. after 3 minutes of nothing happening on the PC it just takes over?

Or does it just use whatever power is left over as it seems to keep running regurdless

Soz for sounding real thick

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I don't have the program installed at the moment, but I do believe as long as it's in your task bar, it is indeed running.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
beware of seti home i had it and left it run overnight, and it actually melted my processor and im dead serious

Edn

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Poor cooling on your part then.

you can have it run whenever you start it or only when your screen saver starts, you just change your preferences to suit what you want.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Hello again

My socket 754 Processor wen't bang in december. It turns out that the motherboard was overclocking the CPU!

Anyway I have a duel core Athlon now and have BONIC set to use 60% of CPU time so its not going flat out all the time. I have a programme that will tell me the CPU useage but as seti is down at the moment (someone up above shouting hello at us?) so I can't see what is going on. Does BONIC only use 'spare' CPU cycles like the old seti system did? I have no problem with it running all the time as long as it gets out the way when I'm doing somthing that may require a bit of CPU power..

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Just in case anyone is reading this!

Its started signal crunching. I have IE7 open, digital TV running and BONIC. My CPU useage chart is showing a few spikes up to around 60% but its mostly up and down from 10% to 20%

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hey Director, just saw your thread.

Hope you're up and crunching ok by now. Disregard the 'beware seti' post above if you haven't already.

Aso - go get and install the newest BOINC client (5.10.20). Your CPU soundd beefy enough. To crunch more WU's, increase your work buffers in advanced/preferences.

Good luck. Hope you get the 'booby prize'...

[edit on 10/30/2007 by Outrageo]

new topics

top topics

join