It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will not be seeing Superman

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There's an underlayer to Carseller's complaint that goes beyond the movie and encompasses a change in American culture. I was born in the 1950s. Back then, most Americans (my father certainly being one of them) had an innocent belief that the U.S. was the greatest country in the world, that we were paragons of truth, justice, and all that stuff, and that every other country was both inferior and envious.

This innocence died in the Kennedy and King assassinations, the struggle over civil rights, the fiasco of the Vietnam War, and the corruption of the Nixon administration. By 1980, equating "the American way" with "truth and justice" could no longer be done with a straight face. Some people, Carseller evidently among them, miss that old innocence and mourn its loss, or even deny the reality of history and insist that its loss was a mistake.

For me personally, what changed was that I no longer believe America is a paragon of truth, justice, and freedom, but I still believe she should be. And that makes me angrier at what I see her actually doing than I would be if I weren't still a believer in the dream.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Twosteps,

I totally agree with you. I also think though, as long as America SHOULD be great, the original title should have remained. Imagination and hope SHOULD still play a part in that little saying. "The American Way"
I love that sound. Why fix something that isnt broken? Gawwwwd, i hope there's still hope for us.
I dont think that change they made reflects to ALL liberals in Hollywood. Who made the movie? Some little rich producer, maybe 20 years old whose daddy gave him the money, and HE decided to change this? That hardly makes all evil liberals in Hollywood the culprits. Even if it was a big shot producer, hey, he did it.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I will not support their anti-American agenda.

Repeat after me ...

"It's only a movie"
"It's only a movie"

The loss of your single ticket sale will have little to no effect on this summer blockbuster.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join