It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Maryland Blue Crab - Second to none?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The Maryland Blue Crab - Second to none?

The Blue Crab

Having been born and raised in SouthCentral PA, I have certainly enjoyed my share of these wonderous culinary creations. By the dozen or by the bushel, hard-shell or soft-shell, these creatures have satiated many a hunger and satisfied countless appetites.

While the Blue Crab exists and flourishes in many geographic regions and coastal locations, the Flavor of the Maryland Blue seems above and beyond that of any other, mostly due to the unique salinity [brackish waters] of the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries.

Only my opinion here, I've eaten Blue Crabs from Louisiana, the Carolinas as well as the Chesapeake Bay, but the Bay crabs have a Flavor unlike any other, IMO.

From this:

To this:

In about 10-15 minutes.

Our recipe for the above:

Large kettle/pot
Equal amounts of water and vinegar. (3-4 cups each)
Ample amounts of both "Old Bay" and "Phillips" seasonings (to taste)
Crushed Red Pepper (to taste)
Rock Salt (to taste)
Cheap beer (optional, but recommended)
Time and plenty of MD Blues.

* A false bottom in the kettle/pot works best to "steam", not looking to "boil".

Bring water/vinegar to a boil.
Layer the crabs in the kettle/pot. We do 6-12 at a time depending on how many are eating.
3-4 crabs, Old Bay and Phillips, Crushed Peppers, Rock Salt.
Next layer.
[repeat]
Pour in Cheap beer, avoid washing away seasonings.
Cover and let steam for 12-15 minutes, depending upon quantity.

Finally ...

A crab [wooden] hammer, paring/steak knife [for picking] and ALOT of paper towels.

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Thanx for that heads up as too which are tastier. I was wondering if u might have a link to a site that drop ships those out, possibly live.

I was also wondering bout the cheap beer ingredient, is it for taste and if so, would a better hop-ier(sp?) beer modify the flavor for the better?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
whats with all the seasonings? crushed red pepper? I dont know what you do in PA but here in maryland its old bay always and everywhere. and only 12 crabs here in maryland we have a bushel or two at least

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Beer, water, and vinegar in the Steamer. Perfect.
Old bay, on those babies..perfect.

Sometimes we would use Crushed red pepper and sea salt..
But usually it was Old Bay, all the way.

S1LV3R4D0,

We used to try different types of beer, and it was really hard to tell the difference.
It might just be Ceremonial..LOL..Then again, we also used to joke that the beer anesthezised the crabs.

Now, I live in the desert. I have noticed in the stores here, that if you buy a can of backfin Crabmeat, it is more expensive if from Maryland..

BTW, they taste even better, if you spent all day with a chicken neck on a string, catching them yourself!

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Beer, water, and vinegar in the Steamer. Perfect.
Old bay, on those babies..perfect.

Sometimes we would use Crushed red pepper and sea salt..
But usually it was Old Bay, all the way.

Typically, Yes, Old Bay all the way ... But the crushed pepperes and sea salt Do add to the overall flavor, IMO.

We used to try different types of beer, and it was really hard to tell the difference.
It might just be Ceremonial..LOL..Then again, we also used to joke that the beer anesthezised the crabs.

While I'm sure most any beer would do, my mention of cheap beer was simply because, uhm, You're not drinking it. ?

BTW, they taste even better, if you spent all day with a chicken neck on a string, catching them yourself!

And you are So right spacedoubt. Most anything tastes better when you have a "vested" interest.

As for Vegemite's questions/concerns,

Two dozen nice sized crabs suit well when only two are eating them. As for the additional spices and seasonings, I can only respond with "Try it!"

While the Phillips seasoning is Very sinilar to Old Bay it just seems to add something to the flavor.
Oooh, the flavor.... mmmm

This weekend will see more of the infamous Blues slated for the steamer. Gotta get 'em while you can.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think you're right, on the beer.
Cheap beer in the steamer, good beer in the belly!

I've got to tell you about what passes for "Maryland Style" crabcakes, out here in the West. Lots of filler, like crackers or breadcrumbs, not enough Crabmeat.

And so far, every place misses the important ingredient..Old Bay, in the mix.
Thats what makes it Maryland style IMO..
I always mention it to the chef, a lot have never heard of it.
But the ones who modify their recipes..they thank me later..

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
drooling, as I munch on soggy fries...

can't believe I missed this thread.. I'll definitely try this recipe

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
'tis that time of year again.

This weekend will see more Blues slated for the steamer.

Maryland Blues

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Tried my first with Old Bay a couple years ago when I went there with my wife to see her family. It's definately good stuff. I do prefer Alaskan King Crab though I think (more meat), but it's all good.

The clams in the East are much better then the West. Lobstah too for that matter (note the spelling).

Anyway, great recipe!

top topics

join