It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragon Skin body armor testing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
www.pinnaclearmor.com...

www.pinnaclearmor.com...

Here are two videos of the testing of the Dragon Skin body armor that is tested front and back of the armor as well as outdoor and indoor setting. Its pretty impressive testing and so far I'm impressed. Don't know what the U.S. Army is talking about how it failed their testing standards. However the second video shows the body armor testing indoor where one bullet (or perhaps a very deep indention) manage to reveal that it succeeded in penetrating the body armor. However so far the body armor has manage to stop almost all the high velocity rounds. I wasn't concern how it dealt with 9 mm rounds fired from the MP5 submachine gun since the body armor was meant to deal with high velocity rounds like the 7.62 fired from AKs.

[edit on 30-6-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
That thing is very impressive. I'd feel pretty safe wearing one of those =)

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
cool armour
question why didnt they just fire full auto insted of burst rounds of 1?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I cant actaully watch the Vid, i have dailup..are they testing 9mm ammo only?

can it withstand a knife?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I like the armour but apparently the army doesnt -

"After a few soldiers started wearing Dragon Skin body armor, the much-hyped alternative to the standard Interceptor defenses, the Army banned the flexible armor -- and allegedly threatened to cut off the life insurance policies of anyone wearing it. Then, the Army took a different tack, saying it would start testing the Skin, to see if it was up to snuff."

I particulary like this part -

"I will, however, offer an enlightened and informed recommendation to anyone considering purchasing an SOV 3000 Dragon Skin - don't."

Masters added that he would not recommend the vest, particularly given the threat from 7.62 x 54R armor-piercing rounds.

"I do, however, highly recommend this system for use by insurgents," he added...

www.defensetech.org...

[edit on 12-7-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Well then this Dragon Armor/Skin isnt as incredible as we thought...

Google images doesnt seem to care about it either, lol

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
www.pinnaclearmor.com...

www.pinnaclearmor.com...

Here are two videos of the testing of the Dragon Skin body armor that is tested front and back of the armor as well as outdoor and indoor setting. Its pretty impressive testing and so far I'm impressed. Don't know what the U.S. Army is talking about how it failed their testing standards. However the second video shows the body armor testing indoor where one bullet (or perhaps a very deep indention) manage to reveal that it succeeded in penetrating the body armor. However so far the body armor has manage to stop almost all the high velocity rounds. I wasn't concern how it dealt with 9 mm rounds fired from the MP5 submachine gun since the body armor was meant to deal with high velocity rounds like the 7.62 fired from AKs.

[edit on 30-6-2006 by deltaboy]

Im going to guess that the armour failed the test due to the depth of impact, rather than the fact it wasn't penetrated. There are regulation depths that the armour is allowed to move in order for a person to survive or be "less injured". The norm seems to be about 4cm. If this depth is exceeded then it displays that the forces of the impact aren't being spread enough, therefore the round may not penetrate the wearer, but the impact will kill them.

new topics

top topics

join