It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban copying the tactics of insurgents and terrorists in Iraq.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

KABUL, Afghanistan - The Toyota Corolla careened toward a military convoy and exploded into a huge ball of fire. This time, the bomb detonated too soon and the two attackers only killed themselves.

But the Taliban commander in Zabul province, site of Wednesday's failed attack, promised more and deadlier to come. And no doubt they will.

Once rare in Afghanistan, grisly suicide attacks and roadside bombings are a rapidly growing threat here as Taliban militants follow the lead of insurgents in Iraq.

Military data obtained by The Associated Press shows that 38 suicide attacks were recorded in Afghanistan in the first six months of 2006, compared to just 11 in the previous six, a more than threefold increase.

Since June of last year, suicide car bombings have killed 86 people and wounded nearly 200, according to data from the U.S.-led military coalition.

The surge in suicide attacks in the past six months coincides with a renewed Taliban push against coalition forces to reclaim control over parts of southern Afghanistan.

Terrorist expert Rohan Gunaratna, author of "Inside al-Qaeda: Global Network of Terror," says Taliban fighters have adopted Iraqi methods because they have seen how destabilizing the violence can be.

"We're seeing this in Afghanistan because the Iraqi tactics, in their opinion, have been effective," Gunaratna said. "Terrorists constantly learn from one another."

It definitely is a concern about the Taliban becoming bold in attacking American lead coalition along with Afghan forces and civilians. Don't know for sure if it works well in Afghanistan compare to Iraq since its more mountainous region and fewer urban areas where insurgents in Iraq can hide in buildings. As we have seen so far the Taliban has suffered far more casualties in the effort to imitate the Iraq insurgency. They have to run back to Pakistan whenever American or British planes are chasing and bombing them, where in Iraq the insurgents can hide into the buildings that are easily close by.

GSA

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
My Brothers in Afghanistan at the minute, stationed at Camp Bastion (or as he calls it camp B#####d!)

He fought in Basra and the oil fields in Iraq southern zone, and now is engaged in 'robust patroling' as he calls it in Afghanistan.

He says that the difference is that in Iraq, the people really really hated the British and Americans, and nearly all were ready to shoot you in the back if they thought they could get away with it. In Afghanistan its the other way around. The people feed them lots of great snippets of info about the taliban / terrorists, some even drawing maps for them so they can go see for themselves.

in both cases its alot to do with foreign fighters, but unlike Iraq, these foreign fighters are despised in Afghanistan, and more often than not get shot on sight by the native afghans. My opinion is that its great that the Afghanis are free and trying to seek peace and best of luck to them. As for iraq, let saddam back into power and sit back and smile as he whips them back into obedience.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
how dare you call people 'terrorists' in iraq when they are fighting to get the illegal occupation forces out of their sovereign country. many of the attacks, especially the big mosque are false flag operations by the occupiers. think the 2 brits in local clothing arrested with a car full of explosives.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
and your brother has no righ to be in afgan. anyway. that was another illegal invasion. who says that an arab, dying of kidney disease, can, from his cave in afgan, shut down a half trillion dollar defense system in us, using his laptop, and organise sept one one. think man, think.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThomasT
and your brother has no righ to be in afgan. anyway. that was another illegal invasion. who says that an arab, dying of kidney disease, can, from his cave in afgan, shut down a half trillion dollar defense system in us, using his laptop, and organise sept one one. think man, think.

While I believe the Iraqi invasion was wrong and is still wrong, but its no one elses fault but Osma Bin Ladens when he accepted responsibility for 9-11, and implicated the Afghani's by being there. If he wasn't the one who did it, he should have denied it and kept denying it. He didn't. His own idiocy for accepting responsibility for something that he didn't do. If what you say is true, then he made it that much easier for someone else to get away with it. I'd deny it till the day I died if I was falsely accused.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

how dare you call people 'terrorists' in iraq when they are fighting to get the illegal occupation forces out of their sovereign country. many of the attacks, especially the big mosque are false flag operations by the occupiers. think the 2 brits in local clothing arrested with a car full of explosives.

terrorists, criminals or insurgents all the same thing what else are we supposed to call people who behead,kidnap and kill mainly other Iraqis. Do they kill other Iraqis to get the coalition forces out of the country or are they trying to start a civil war?. Why would the coalition do false flag operations what would be the point what would it achieve? nothing. BTW the two british soldiers arrest were in civilian clothes did not have a car full of explosives but surveillance equipmnent and weapons for selfdefence as they were watching milita elements in the Iraqi police force

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

It isn't illegal... The first iraq war, legal as hell, was never ended a cease fire was signed thats it, saddam never abided by the cease fire. It may be a technicallity but that the law you so dearly cling too.. And yes THEY ARE TERRORISTS... I understand attacking us military but they target civilains and people trying to rebuild their own country more then americans... Are the terrorsits trying to free a country from its OWN NATIVES?

Plus these people don't get it the sooner Iraq is on their own feet the sooner we leave...

[edit on 16-7-2006 by American Madman]

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

While I believe the Iraqi invasion was wrong and is still wrong, but its no one elses fault but Osma Bin Ladens when he accepted responsibility for 9-11, and implicated the Afghani's by being there. If he wasn't the one who did it, he should have denied it and kept denying it. He didn't. His own idiocy for accepting responsibility for something that he didn't do. If what you say is true, then he made it that much easier for someone else to get away with it. I'd deny it till the day I died if I was falsely accused.

Please show me some evidence that Bin Laden ever claimed resposibility for the 9/11 attacks. The only authenticated tape or video from him where he talks about 9/11 is the one where he DENIES he was involved. All others where he claims he did it have been shown to be fakes.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Please show me some evidence that Bin Laden ever claimed resposibility for the 9/11 attacks. The only authenticated tape or video from him where he talks about 9/11 is the one where he DENIES he was involved. All others where he claims he did it have been shown to be fakes.

english.aljazeera.net...

But I am amazed at you. Even though we are in the fourth year after the events of September 11th, Bush is still engaged in distortion, deception and hiding from you the real causes. And thus, the reasons are still there for a repeat of what occurred.

So I shall talk to you about the story behind those events and shall tell you truthfully about the moments in which the decision was taken, for you to consider.

I say to you, Allah knows that it had never occurred to us to strike the towers. But after it became unbearable and we witnessed the oppression and tyranny of the American/Israeli coalition against our people in Palestine and Lebanon, it came to my mind.

The events that affected my soul in a direct way started in 1982 when America permitted the Israelis to invade Lebanon and the American Sixth Fleet helped them in that. This bombardment began and many were killed and injured and others were terrorised and displaced.

I couldn't forget those moving scenes, blood and severed limbs, women and children sprawled everywhere. Houses destroyed along with their occupants and high rises demolished over their residents, rockets raining down on our home without mercy.

The situation was like a crocodile meeting a helpless child, powerless except for his screams. Does the crocodile understand a conversation that doesn't include a weapon? And the whole world saw and heard but it didn't respond.

In those difficult moments many hard-to-describe ideas bubbled in my soul, but in the end they produced an intense feeling of rejection of tyranny, and gave birth to a strong resolve to punish the oppressors.

And as I looked at those demolished towers in Lebanon, it entered my mind that we should punish the oppressor in kind and that we should destroy towers in America in order that they taste some of what we tasted and so that they be deterred from killing our women and children.

And that day, it was confirmed to me that oppression and the intentional killing of innocent women and children is a deliberate American policy. Destruction is freedom and democracy, while resistance is terrorism and intolerance.

This means the oppressing and embargoing to death of millions as Bush Sr did in Iraq in the greatest mass slaughter of children mankind has ever known, and it means the throwing of millions of pounds of bombs and explosives at millions of children - also in Iraq - as Bush Jr did, in order to remove an old agent and replace him with a new puppet to assist in the pilfering of Iraq's oil and other outrages.

So with these images and their like as their background, the events of September 11th came as a reply to those great wrongs, should a man be blamed for defending his sanctuary?

Is defending oneself and punishing the aggressor in kind, objectionable terrorism? If it is such, then it is unavoidable for us.

This is the message which I sought to communicate to you in word and deed, repeatedly, for years before September 11th.

This pretty much sums it up that Osama and his followers of Al Qaida did it, and explaining why he did it. Can't deny it.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Madman

It isn't illegal... The first iraq war, legal as hell, was never ended a cease fire was signed thats it, saddam never abided by the cease fire. It may be a technicallity but that the law you so dearly cling too.. And yes THEY ARE TERRORISTS... I understand attacking us military but they target civilains and people trying to rebuild their own country more then americans... Are the terrorsits trying to free a country from its OWN NATIVES?

Plus these people don't get it the sooner Iraq is on their own feet the sooner we leave...

[edit on 16-7-2006 by American Madman]

Well it could be your intelligence agencies attacking civillians, SAS was caught last year with a car full of explosives dressed in arab clothing with wigs and then when stopped fired on a policeman and killed him. Then the british government proceeded to full out attack the police station containing them to free them and then staged an attack on an "insurgents"house where they said they found them.

All is here :

houston.indymedia.org...

Oh and your boys have been caught to :

www.freemarketnews.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

This pretty much sums it up that Osama and his followers of Al Qaida did it, and explaining why he did it. Can't deny it.

I apologize for posting again, but he denies involvement in 9/11 in this interview, so neither really matters.

"I have already said that I am not involved in the 11 September attacks in the United States. As a Muslim, I try my best to avoid telling a lie. I had no knowledge of these attacks, nor do I consider the killing of innocent women, children and other humans as an appreciable act."

www.islammessage.com...

- Source: Ummat, Urdu-language daily newspaper based in Karachi, Pakistan - Friday, 28 September 2001 - pages 1, 7.

- Source: BBC Monitoring Service.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So you saying that Al Jazeera was lying about translating what he said about 9/11?

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Like I said in my previous posts, many of the audio tapes, and the one video where he claims respnsibility are fake.

Even the FBI admits that they have no evidence that ties him to 9/11

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Like I said in my previous posts, many of the audio tapes, and the one video where he claims respnsibility are fake.

Even the FBI admits that they have no evidence that ties him to 9/11

So all videos and audios pass through Al Jazeera are fake, even the ones about him denying earlier, and later on admitting?

Remember that Osama said he never sanction the attacks on the embassies, just only saying he was supporting the attacks, even though the FBI has evidence to prove he had been involved? Remember the U.S.S. Cole attacks where Osama says he never sanctioned it but supported the attacks even though the ones involved confirmed that Osama ordered the attack on the Cole? And now we see 9/11 and earlier years afterwards where he says he never sanctioned it, but however says he supported the attacks and praised the hijackers. And later on we capture some high top Al Qaida members who have confirmed they were involved and Osama ordered such attacks. And few years afterwards making a tape to contradict himself that he never did sanctioned it and now says he did and explaining why he did it. Don't need to hide it anymore since the U.S. military and intelligence agencies are busy hunting him down, so the cats out of the bag and don't need to deny anymore, when previously attacks on America had resulted only one response to retaliate against Al Qaida just before 9/11.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Deltaboy.......you just don't get it..........it is a very peaceful world out there and the only only problem is the 'great Satan' USA.........

That's sarcasm......

No matter what true facts you present the anti-americans will make excuses and provide 'made-up' facts to counter you. These people are not open minded individuals...if something doesn't meet their agenda then it is a 'lie'.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
No matter what true facts you present the anti-americans will make excuses and provide 'made-up' facts to counter you. These people are not open minded individuals...if something doesn't meet their agenda then it is a 'lie'.

Three words: Pot, kettle, and of course, black.

Both sides are equally guilty of the behaviour you mention, ferretman. So please, don't load all of this onto the side which happens to oppose yours.

Both sides of the issue use words and 'facts' (ooo I just get this slight... tingle, in my spine when I see the term fact in inverted commas
) as weapons. It's called propaganda! And there is... no escape...

Thus endeth the reply. Beginneth the rant.

When are you lot going to realise that the issues in Afghanistan and Iraq are not simply black and white? For the love of God, Allah, or whatever name you give him, its a big pool of battleship grey. Countless times I see "Those terrorists in Eye-rack (what the *expletive*?)", but come on, do me a favour, if it really, really was an 'us vs them' situation, do you not think there would be far less random bombings that just target civillians?

And those evil, evil, EVIL anti-Americans... tut tut... I don't know man, I mean, how dare they feel aggrieved by what the White House has pulled? FOR SHAME!!!

Personally, - and this is just me here I sometimes feel - I don't hate America. You can bet I have a very strong dislike for the US Government though.

Oh darn... I said it... I must be a fanatical Iranian, eh?

'Deep breath'

Ok, rant over. I'll go back to my Grand Theft Auto now

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

how dare you call people 'terrorists' in iraq when they are fighting to get the illegal occupation forces out of their sovereign country

How dare anyone call a person that rounds up a bunch of civilians, offers them jobs, and then kills them en route anything other than a terrorist. Its also equally absurd for someone to defend such actions but call the invasion'illegal'. Whats illegal is rounding up civilians and killing them.

. many of the attacks, especially the big mosque are false flag operations by the occupiers

All the bad things are done by anglos, and the iraqis are nothing more than righteous, just, and saintly patriots right?
There no history of attacks between sunnis and shi'ites in iraq, or the rest of the muslim world, at all right?

top topics

join