It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Firepower: US Navy comes second....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is idiotic, because:

1) The Russian military is weak. Their subs sink even if not attacked by an enemy.
2) Ranking the small Japanese and Taiwanese navies above the British navy is idiotic too. The British navy is the world's third-biggest, and one of the strongest.
3) America's Tarawa class LPDs, which are VTOL aircraft carriers are as big as the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, yet they have not been counted in by the person who is the author of those graphs, while the CDG has been counted in by that person.

[edit on 29-7-2006 by JimmyCarterIsNotSmarter]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
What about tomahawk cruise missiles, can they be used to destroy a ship, I don't know but it seems possible...

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon
What about tomahawk cruise missiles, can they be used to destroy a ship, I don't know but it seems possible...

AFAIK, Tomahawk cruise missiles are intended to destroy land targets. But the designing of that missile has been started in the 70s, when the USN told Raytheon that they need a missile to destroy land targets AND SHIPS.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
FYI:

I still haven't looked through the air arm of the Indian Navy, but I thought now would a nice time to see where I stand with the IN's firepower ratings as per Planeman's methods:

Using Planeman's rating methods, I built the following table for India :

Missile: || Score: || Launchers(Vessels):

SS-N-25 || 216400 || 160(10)
SS-N-27 || 122136/133041? || 56/61?(10/11?)
SS-N-2D || 78798 || 92(24)
Sea Eagle || 101790* || 78(44)*
PJ-10 || 26880 || 12(2)
+____________________________________________________________
546,004/556909 || 398/403(90/91)

* : Not researched by me as yet

As one may notice, A score of 46,004/556,909 is a considerable increase over the previous rating of 439,546 for India, and I still feel that there will be some changes in the air arm figures.

The bottomline is that this alters the position of India in Planeman's global firepower standings in a number of possible ways,i.e. definitely putting it above Turkey and even above the U.K.

What I'd also like to encourage is that maybe some should do a similar analysis on to confirm Planeman's findings esp in regions where the scores are not far apart.
Planeman has done an excellent job of providing us with a template for rating navies and maybe we can help him by verifying his data.

India versus Pakistan: Navies 1

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Daedalus3, can you support your count on the Brahmos. 2 ships with a total of 12 tubes??? I only found a single Kashin with a twin testing mount currently "in service".

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join