It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is SETI looking in the Right Place?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor
If we found anything it would be a Dyson Sphere

So these Dyson Spheres would be common? or the normal progression of a civilization?

[edit on 2-7-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Well according to Dyson these spheres are required by highly advance civilizations to harness the entire power of their stars to power their civilization. A type 2 and 3 civilizations would be the ones using these.

I do not think they are common in the universe but if they exist with ex amount of light years to us we may be able to detect one. If we ever did it would be proof positive of a species a thousand or more years ahead of Earth.

there are 4 classes of advanced civilizations: (theoretically)

0.7 is where we are at currently.
1 controls the entire enrgy of a planet
2 interstllar travel, harnessing and mining a star as well as having colonies elseware they would use 10 billion times the energy of type 1.
3 controls the entire energy of a galaxy, manipulation of space time, appear to have god like abilities, extinction will only occur when the universe itself dies out.

A type 2 will have just a few spheres where as a type 3 will have harnessed the power of every star in the galaxy and will have colonized every livable planet in the galaxy. I doubt a type 3 exists within our galaxy but a type 2 definatly is a possibility.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
SETI has for decades been looking for signs of intelligent life by searching the skies for radio signals.

If space travel by other alien civilizations exit, and they are advanced enough to have solved faster than light drives or hyperspace portals, there communication would also have to be as advanced. If they relied on radio or other similar light speed or less communication beams, they would have little or no effect.

Does SETI have the abilty to sense that type of signal? Maybe that is why we haven't heard anyone.
We are looking in the wrong place.

Edited for easier search.

[edit on 1-7-2006 by Gazrok]

This is a main argument against SETI, however following this same reasoning an advanced enough civilization that has mastered some faster than light communication would probably be smart enough to realize that a civilization that is a little less technically advanced will not be able to detect their signals, so they (the aliens) would still broadcast signals in the normal electromagnetic spectrum.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Distortion
would still broadcast signals in the normal electromagnetic spectrum.

Hmmm never thought about that. If they wanted to be found that would make sense.

But I still haven't found an answer to the question on how far away in light years would a radio or tv signal go before its no longer recognizable. I know theoretical it could go on forever, but surely radiation and other signals would interfere, and other objects like stars, dust clouds etc would block it.

I don't know if there is a way to answer that as we haven't been out there to hear ourselves, but someone must have done the math

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yeah it would certainly be distorted but the trick is to send it on a band that has relatively low background noise.

Another theory is that aliens are sending neutrino signals out. They would be a good way to send a message because they're so damn small they pretty much go through everything, but that inherently makes them incredibly hard to detect with our current tech. I think we need to build a massive neutrino detector and use it like we do radio telescopes to find ET.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join