It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with DVD Drive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Okay, this is a really weird problem that I have never heard of nor encountered before. This is what happens. When I go and try to insteall TES4: Oblivion, it crashes my computer and starts a Ram dump to the Hard drive(XP's version of the blue screen of death). There are two ways this happens. First is when I try to autoplay the cd. The second is when I disable autoplay and try to install the game. It goes to about 15 % and then crashes. I'm fairly certain that the problem is my DVD drive, I just wanted to know if there is any way for certain to know what the actual problem is.

BTW Here are my specs.
A8n32-SLI Deluxe w/ AMD 64 3500+
BFG 7900 OC 256 GDDR3
550 Watt SLI ready power supply
1 Gig of DDR 333 Ram
32 Bit Windows XP Home Edition

Any ideas? Cuz I'm all out of them(aside from just buying a new DVD drive and/or RAM which I'm doing in a couple weeks NEways...)

[edit on 30-6-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Noone can help? I find that hard to believe...

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Thanks for all the help.
Problem solved, bought a new DVD drive and that fixed it.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
not that it really matter, but what speed was your old dvd drive. That game has a high requirement in dvd speed. I believe it requires at least 8X and prefers 16X.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
not that it really matter, but what speed was your old dvd drive. That game has a high requirement in dvd speed. I believe it requires at least 8X and prefers 16X.

I have no idea. It installed Oblivion(install not play) on my old comp without a hitch. I think it was shorting out my Mainboard somehow.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
do you have another computer to try the "old" drive on?
If so, try it and se if it is happier their.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Did you try to Flash upgrade the DVD drive? Might just be firmware related. You can go to the Mfg website and see if they have a new revision or try using one from an outside source.
Sorry didn't see this post till today.

Pie

new topics

top topics

join