It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jessica Lunsford's Killer's Confesssion Thrown Out of Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This is just breaking....a Florida judge has indeed thrown out the confession of John Couey, who allegedly kidnapped, raped and buried alive young Jessica Lunsford.

NEWS ALERT
A Florida judge has thrown out the confession of the man charged with kidnapping, raping and killing 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford, but kept the discovery of her body as evidence, The Associated Press reports.

I actually agree with this...he asked for council and didnt' get, so the police screwed up royally. There should be plenty of other evidence to convict this monster without the confession anyway.

[edit on 6/30/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Why is this wretch of a human being even contesting the charges. He buried that kid alive, if he doesn't kill himself, the state had better.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Oh here we go again, get me fired up. This monster should already be dead.
I started a thread yesterday on a similar yet different subject.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...'

Why is this wretch of a human being even contesting the charges. He buried that kid alive, if he doesn't kill himself, the state had better.

Here here Nygdan!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I actually agree with this...he asked for council and didnt' get, so the police screwed up royally. There should be plenty of other evidence to convict this monster without the confession anyway.

So do I. It had to be brought out at this early stage, because if not, it would have been ample grounds for an overturn of a guilty verdict later.

Best to make sure all dots and crosses are in place, so this scumbag can get the justice he deserves asap.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
yea, while i think the guys is a total piece of crap, i agree with the decision. he asked for council 8 times in 47 seconds, and the cops didnt respond to his request. granted, at the time they thought she was still alive so they probably were in the heat of the moment, just wanting to hurry up and find her, but on the other hand, this is 101 type stuff, and with a high profile case like this, the police should have been more careful and not given this guy any way to get an out.

however, the prosecution has not protested this ruling, partly because they know why it had to be done, but also because they have enough other evidence on their side. the judge has said that the finding of her body even though it was apart of his confession is still ok to be apart of the trial, as well as other evidence that was found after his confession. plus their are some witnesses and what not.
so i think this guy is still going to be punished. aside from this, say if you are part of the jury, even though the judge says that you have to put the fact that they guy confessed out of your mind, how the heck would you be able to. i wouldnt. this case has been so flooded with media attention that this guy is probably royally screwed anyway. you cant make people forget things they have already heard.
but i guess we will just have to wait and see.

Digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Nice wrap-up, DigitalGrl.

This part, too:

aside from this, say if you are part of the jury, even though the judge says that you have to put the fact that they guy confessed out of your mind, how the heck would you be able to. i wouldnt.

I've often thought about that, and there is no way that I personally could put something like that out of my mind. The best I could do would be not to write it down as reason for my official verdict, but it would still carry a lot of weight in my mind.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Wow, a judge who follows the law! All they had to do was label the guy a terrorist and they could torture, imprison forever, all without a lawyer or trial!

But I to agree, the guy asked for a lawyer and the Cops didn't get him one, a big mistake done by the police.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
jso- same here, and thats why i wrote about it. i always think it is funny when a lawyer says something in court and then the judge stops him and turns to the jury and says "please disregrad the last statement. this should have no barring on your decision." i mean, yea the guy has to say that it wasnt right to say certian statments, but once they are out there in the open, how are you really going to erase it if it is something as big as a confession? This isnt the MIB movie...we dont have that little memory erase pen with the red light

but in all seriousness, that confession would have already sealed the deal for me. and of course the media coverage has already infultrated peoples perception of this man as it is. i say he is toast, if there is justice that is.

Digitalgrl

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
This is just breaking....a Florida judge has indeed thrown out the confession of John Couey, who allegedly kidnapped, raped and buried alive young Jessica Lunsford.

Good job too..Not for him.. He should fry..

But if you were say...placed in a locked room then placed in the public eye with a report that you '' confessed'' to some similar charge without a legal witness present what could you do???Nothing.It,s always gonna be their word against yours.

It must be a disgusting job to do though.. be a defence lawyer for lowlifes like this..If he is in fact guilty

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Judge Sentences John Couey to Death for Murdering Jessica Lunsford
A Florida judge sentenced John Evander Couey to death Friday for the kidnap, rape and murder of 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford.
Source

Couey, a convicted sex offender, buried Lunsford alive in two black trash bags with her hands bound and her favorite purple stuffed dolphin tucked in her arms, Circuit Judge Richard Howard said. Lunsford's body was found in a grave in Couey's yard about three weeks after she disappeared.

"He secured her fate with a second bag," Howard told the court.

Howard called the murder "cold and calculated," causing a "slow, suffering and conscious death."

Couey, appearing in a red jumpsuit sitting between his attorneys, looked straight ahead when Howard read the sentence.

This is great news, I was afraid this piece of sh** was going to get out of the death penalty, waty to go Florida.
I hope he dies very slowly and it takes forever.. bring back sparky just for this bastard.

top topics

join