It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Different Opinions, ATS, and You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Over the past few months, I've seen several posts regarding differing opinions, and what should be done with those that are "obviously wrong." These suggestions have ranged from simply locking threads, to total bans of members. I feel that those making these suggestions have missed the point of ATS.

I've been a member here for a little over a year, and even though my posting has, at times, been a little lax, I do still read the forums, and keep up to date on all ATS has to offer.

Typically, when I make a post, it's in response to a thread that I feel strongly about. Lately, a lot of my posts have been in the 9/11 and 7/7 Conspiracies forum. In reading the posts in there, I see a lot of largely differing opinions, yet a lot of intelligent conversation defending each side of the argument (and, as we all know, it's anything but a two-sided issue.... there's more like 30 sides to it). Recently, however, I saw a post in that forum suggesting that ATS should ban members who support the government views on these issues. I find this completely rediculous, as I value the opinions of all those who disagree with me. After all, without a difference of opinion, would ATS be what it is today?

Seeing posts like this (and I'll refrain from linking to the post in question, as I don't wish to single out the poster) make me question the motives of people on this board.

To me, ATS is a place where people from all walks of life, all backgrounds, and all opinions can get together, and through the anonymity of the Internet, express their opinions in search of the truth. This is what makes ATS the incredibly well rounded forum that it is. The difference of opinion that is not only welcomed here, but also encouraged, is what makes the ATS motto ring true: Deny Ignorance.

How else can people deny ignorance if not through discussion and anaylisis of differing opinions? Personally, differences in opinion have helped me, many times, find greater truth of various issues. I'm sure I'm not alone here. I welcome the difference in opinion. Those that post here, with a different opinion from others, open the way to the real truth, either through suggesting something that people haven't thought about, or through strengthening opinions of those that they disagree with.

Every word posted on ATS is a step towards uncovering the truths behind so many issues, which is in turn a step towards Denying Ignorance.

It really saddens me to see people suggest that differing opinions should be banned, as they are what has made ATS such an enlightening and enriching experience for me, as well as many others.

In Denying Ignorance, please Consider Other Opinions.

Everyone is welcome here, regardless of opinion. Every one of us needs to remember that.

[edit on 30-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
I saw a post in that forum suggesting that ATS should ban members who support the government views on these issues.

As long as an opinion is within the T&C's it will be allowed. All that is really asked of the membership is that they be civil to one another. Probably 99% of warns and such are given for calling names or cutting other members down.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion. That's what makes this such a great place to discuss anything. Thats why this is my home when i'm online.

Love and light my friends,

wupy

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You know, I have to agree, Obs. ATS is here for EVERYONE. We aren't some select cabal like the NWO, etcc. EVERYONE is welcome here. I know that because when I first joined I was about as up-to-date and in-the-know as much as my DOG was. But, thanks to the ATS'ers of the day (SO, Echelon, Springer, WOS, Valhall to name a few), I found myself Denying Ignorance and embracing a more fluid, broadened and open way of thinking. ATS has helped me to see things that most people are to blind to even notice, and has made me not onyl Deny Ignorance here, but in my real, day-to-day life.

When I see stuff like that, I too feel a tear well up, because it makes me feel that if even one person doesn't understand ATS, then i haven't been doing my self-imposed job. ATS is full of smart, cunning, and genius-level people. I for one am grateful to still be here, and even though my posts may be few, it is not the quantity of my words, but the quality of my words that can change a person's perspective.

I love ATS, and I will not stand idle, letting someone say things like that. No, I will always speak to them, calm them down, explain to them the viewpoint, hear what they have to say, and help THEM Deny Ignorance, just as was done with me.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Over the past few months, I've seen several posts regarding differing opinions, and what should be done with those that are "obviously wrong." These suggestions have ranged from simply locking threads, to total bans of members. I feel that those making these suggestions have missed the point of ATS.

Here is my opinion of your opinion.

You have voted obsidian468 for the Way Above Top Secret award.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I agree with the previous post and.... my opinion of your opinion is

You have voted obsidian468 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

To me, ATS is a place where people from all walks of life, all backgrounds, and all opinions can get together, and through the anonymity of the Internet, express their opinions in search of the truth. This is what makes ATS the incredibly well rounded forum that it is. The difference of opinion that is not only welcomed here, but also encouraged, is what makes the ATS motto ring true: Deny Ignorance.

How else can people deny ignorance if not through discussion and anaylisis of differing opinions?

This is why I continue to come to ATS. I'm a lurker and don't post as much as I should because of another site that I devote my time to as a Global Moderator. But the ATS rings true and I truly love it. I've learned so much from ATS.

If ATS changes it's motto and begins to censor material simply because the mods do not agree, I will leave without any mention, fanfare or drama. ATS's motto and the TOC are should be looked at like the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution.

I know at least a few places remain on the internet, denying ignorance and ATS is one of them.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
i have to agree with others on this

You have voted obsidian468 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

and i dont give out way aboves to just anybody. i agree 100% with your post.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Though relatively new member I think I can see who deserves it...

Why I visit this place and sometimes post here is that the community is large, varied and offers tons of info (and disinfo as well, of course
). I do visit mostly the 09/11+07/07 conspiracies forums as that is where I got hooked (namely the giant CatHerder's thread:lol
, but from time to time I do drop to other places as well.
What amazes me is how the ROE is held in high esteem here, I've deserved only a brand "Pentagon paid disinfo agent" so far, while in much shorter time on one of Czech boards I've earned much more colourful titles

All in all, I like it here much, thank you

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I sincerely thank all of you who thought this post was significant enough to vote me for WATS, as well as the moderators that saw fit to applaud me on this post. Personally, though, I thought I was really just restating the concepts set forth in the T&C, and my own views of ATS. I really don't think that anything in this post should really be news to anyone, but rather just a rehashing of the same old T&C we all agreed to when we signed up.

ATS is a group forum, accepting all people, regardless of race, color, creed, sexual orientation, background, or opinion. This is well known through all of ATS.

Those people that have responded on this thread are people that truly understand ATS. I thank you for being here, and I feel I can likely speak for the Three Amigos when I say they would want you here as well.

ATS is simply a home for anyone who wants to express an opinion, no matter how radically different it may be.

I myself have expressed radically different opinions here, and have been greeted with support and opposition, just as I would want from ATS. I show the same respect to any member, and wish that same respect from any member reading any one of my posts.

ATS truly is about discussion, and not confrontation (read: insult of another's views). I have a great deal of respect for those that have agreed with that sentiment.

new topics

top topics

join