It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Airstrike on Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Breaking Now....

Offices of President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah party were hit by an Israeli airstrike, Palestinian and Israeli sources say.CNN

mod edit to change title, clarify topic

[edit on 29-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It looks like the start of some thing bigger that what's already in progress.It is going to make for an interesting couple of weeeks in the media.I don't think there is going to be any turning back now.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Similae events happened on several prior occasions- The fisrt Intifada in late 1980's, and the al Aqsa Intifada in 2000. Israel has similary put the pressure on Palestinian government, but after a brief stand off the conflict receded. I do not think this time it will be any more eventful that before.

So far I haven't heard of Palestinian casualties, and it seems like talks over the release of the Israeli hostage might take place. Looks like both sides are treading carefully this time.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by maloy]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

So far I haven't heard of Palestinian casualties, and it seems like talks over the release of the Israeli hostage might take place. Looks like both sides are treading carefully this time.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by maloy]

Maloy you probably won't hear about them since of course power is cut and Im sure there are no press there.

Im surprised they attacked Habbas since he was on better terms with them.
Gaza Attack Nixed; Hamas Offers Up Soldier

To be honest I really don't think this was about a Soldier. It seems like they rounded up 32 of the Palestinian government Reps and attacked the PM's office. Looks like a take-out to me and not a hostage rescue attempt.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Have to agree PieMaN

Strange how they don't seem that bothered about the 2 IDF boys killed in the attack when the soldier was snatched isn't it?

Blowing up the power station (which has serious implications beyond just light / comms - their water and sewage systems depend on electricity too) seems to be just another example of collective punishment.

The UN is clear on the effects it will have

Meanwhile, the UN's emergency relief co-ordinator Jan Egeland said that Gaza was on the brink of a humanitarian crisis after the destruction by the Israeli air force of the only power plant there on Tuesday night.

"Hamas leaders, if they are behind this kidnapping of an Israeli soldier in Israel, they should have known it's the worst possible thing at the worst possible time," said Mr Egeland.

"Israelis know that if they attack electricity, it is and foremost the civilian population which is hurt. Of course, Israel has to restrain itself. It should work within international law and not go after civilian installation, hurting [the] civilian population ..."

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It seems the Palistinians have opened a can of worms. I wonder if they wished they had never opened it. I think Isreal planned this all along and used the soldiers capture to get the ball rolling.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
64 Parliamentarians and Ministers arrested now! Wow. First the breaking of international laws by destroying civilian infrastructure,crossing over Syrian borders in order to provoke and threatan a leader of a nation with war planes, then breaking humanitarian law by group punishment and now arresting members of parliament and Pal ministers as well as bombing the prime ministers office. Now that they are all in a nice tidy little area, they can surely mete out whatever justice they feel proper.

The majority of the faction's most senior political figures outside Gaza were detained in an unexpected nocturnal sweep early yesterday, which Palestinians swiftly interpreted as a move to dislodge the Hamas government and which the Group of Eight industrialised countries said raised " particular concerns".

The Israel Defence Forces said last night that those arrested, who include Omar Abdel Razeq, the Finance Minister, Nasser Shaer, the Deputy Prime Minister, and six of their cabinet colleagues, would be brought before a judge to extend their detention and that indictments would be filed against " those who are deemed sufficiently suspect of criminal activity".

Source

BTW its going to take them several months and millions of dollars to rebuild another power plant, and in the meantime the hospitals can only run the generators for maximum of 2 weeks. Nah they aren't trying to wipe them out are they?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Dare I say it? - A Final Solution?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Bah! A 'final solution' would have been to carpet bomb the area and shell it so hard not even the air was left upright.

DE

top topics

join