It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Air Force Inventory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What aircraft do New Zealand use these days? Heard they have retired the A-4 Skyhawks

Will the RNZAF be using fighters again?

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Browno]

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Browno]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yep, the A-4s have indeed been retired. The NZ government did have a deal to sell them to a private contractor, who I believe was going to use them for flight training and adversary simulation, but apparently export control restrictions are causing problems, and the deal has stalled.

Not sure if people are aware, but the Kiwi A-4s are the old Royal Australian Navy A-4s, but with upgrades to the radars and electronics. They were a great little aircraft, lots of fun to watch flying around when I was a kid. They were what fostered my love of all things jet-like. Ah, memories...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The Skyhawks are still milling around in a warehouse in Belnheim (or Ohakea, there was an article on the telly acouple of weeks back).

On BBC World today there was an article about Bush giving the Ok to sell F-16's to Pakistan. I think these might have been the ones that were presented to NZ a few years back by the US government. Obviously, we declined.

Interestingly, when the F-18 Hornet first came out (1982??), New Zeland was one of the first nations to be given an access to purchasing them at quite a resonable price. Obviously, we declined.

Now New Zealand is protected by 5 C-130's and a few Sea King helo's.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I didn't know New Zealand even had an airforce!

Sorry! couldn't help the jibe. Aussie here!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I used to live next to Wigram Air Base in Christchurch and used to watch them as a kid - Aghhh Memories.
Don't forget our antique prop fighter - The Harvard.....

new topics

top topics

join