It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many ATSers pratice martial arts.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
my faves shomenuchi ikkyo and shomen uchi iriminage

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hi Asala

Good strong techniques there!! I love the simplicity of ikkyo, lovely flowing movements, do you prefer irimi or tenkan when practising??

[edit on 1-7-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I do prefure the typical Irimi as the approch is more direct to the front, though it tends to be hard to find the right position through out is kinda hard

but i did both pretty much alot,

how about you?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Id have to go with irimi myself too, its more direct and more efficent in my opinion, all though a nice tenkan nikkyo always feels good when practising!!

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have formally practiced the Korean art of Kuk Sool Won for 13 years now. A very practical style of martial arts with a beauty that can be found inside it's substance. However I believe that no one style is enough for a well rounded martial arts philosophy or practical defense for that matter.

Over the years I've also been honored by various persons(Masters) proficient in other styles(Judo, Krav Maga, Jujitsu to name a few) that have mentored me to make my Kuk Sool Won style more personal, and my own. An example of which would be incorporating throws or weapon katas from above styles into my K S W overall style.

Also I've mixed my Buddhist meditation into my martial arts in an attempt to gain further insight into my overall form and purpose, while still new to this, I feel it is really rewarding and would suggest it to anyone.

X

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I believe you should always take a few moments to centre yourself before practice, any type of meditaition is benifical IMHO.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Interesting. I was actually applying it in more of a "afterwards review" type of way.

Like sitting down during a cooldown and focusing on what happened, where I'd like to improve, what was it I was trying to accomplish during my session, etc you know?

I've always just done basic warm ups beforehand(stretches, calisthenics etc), for years. I think I'll give your idea a try though it sounds like it could really work for me.

Any pointers on what you focus on? Maybe "How do I want this session to go?" or "How can I attain X(enter yours here) goal?" Maybe trying to visualize your entire series?

X

[edit on 2-7-2006 by Xatnys]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Hi Xatnys,

I think that if you've had a day at work/college/school and are then practising, you need to clear your mind of all your thoughts of that day (example - that guy really peed me off when he cut me up on my way here!!). Clear your mind of any pre-conceptions about the class, students and techniques, and try to make each moment of the lesson meaningful so that your more open to learning without clouded judgment.

I can offer two simple meditations for you to try.

1. Imagine that you are sitting in a small boat on an ocean with no land in site, the water is calm and you can hear it gently lapping against the hull. As the boat rises gently with the waves take a deep breath in and as the boat dips breath out (try to slow the waves and your breathing). The sky is clear and you feel fantastic just sitting there relaxing listening to the sounds, when you feel completely relaxed then start your warm ups.

2. Imagine your sitting in a garden you can smell the grass and hear the birds singing. Theres a pond or river near by and you can hear the water rushing by and as you listen more you can hear the wind gently blowing through the trees, this is now the only sound you can hear and as above, breath with the swaying of the trees, slowing it down till you feel completely relaxed then start your warm ups.

You should find that your far more relaxed and focused when starting your practice.

If you have time, I would still continue with your meditation after your class as you are getting a benifit, I hope this helps with your training and meditations.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Kurokage,

Thank you for your meditation techniques. I will try them out tomorrow(done for the day). I can already almost visualize the garden one.

I appreciate it.

X

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I am learning Judo. What influenced me to decide to take Judo is because I already have taken Kenpo Karate, Boxing and learned some Shoot-fighting.
Judo uses grappling, throws, drops, wrestling and clinch fighting, something I am not good at. Which is why I lose all the time when I spar. If it was a stand-up fight, I would likely have better chances of winning a sparring match.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
sounds cool Godzilla, I havent done much Judo myself but my bro practices once a week along with his other martail arts and really enjoys it!!!

Hi Xatnys, Glad I could help and I hope that it works for you, If it does maybe you could do a cool Avatar for me as yours is awsome!!! (a bit cheeky, I know) lol

[edit on 4-7-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I'm into Muay Thai, been doing it for 3 years now.

It's perfect for fitness, stamina, self-defence, discipline, the lot!

All women should learn self-defence, I can't believe more don't do it.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Hi Delta, 3 years muay thai, you must have shins as hard as steel lol
Its a great contact sport and I also like the traditonal style too!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
Hi Delta, 3 years muay thai, you must have shins as hard as steel lol
Its a great contact sport and I also like the traditonal style too!!!!

Well, there's plenty of pad work................

I enjoy traditional Thai, you feel like you are on a computer game! There are some highly amusing manouveres (however you spell it!)

Although, when we do traditional Thai, my Kru has a habit of kicking us as we do sit ups - for body conditioning apparently

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
When I was younger I did a bit of boxing, and the trainers just loved kicking your arse to "toughen you up!!". As long as they dont go over the top, I think its ok as long as its not with beginners or younger students. when I used to train regularly I used to go to a few different dojos to get a feel for the way others practiced Aikido this used to be quite fun but some times you would meet some unscrupulous teachers who loved showing what they could do not what they can teach!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaints2012
i train at k-star in birmingham city centre.

heres their website if your interested.

www.k-starthai.co.uk...

Hey! I'm Kuro-Kage's bro. Thought I'd finally get round to joining the site! I was gonna fight at the upcoming K-star event but had to drop out cause got a bad cut on my eye at my last fight and can't do any sparring till it heals
I'm at the Phraya Pichai camp in Redditch. One of our Female fighters Rach Price Whittle is fighting and I'll be cornering her. If ure there come say Hi!

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hey Bro, good to see you finally made it on to this great site.
Its a shame your gonna miss that fight but Im glad as it will give you time to heal and get in some more training.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm better off taking it easy till I'm back at 100%. Just got back from training, was a good session. Lot of people turned up.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I am currently trained in the art of Karl Geis Ryu Aikido.

Kurokage, what form of aikido do you teach?

[edit on 30-7-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I train at K0Star too, they have a new website now www.k-starthaiboxing.com
www.k-starthaiboxing.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join