It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many ATSers pratice martial arts.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I just read the thread about defending yourself UK style, and it got me wondering. I would like to know how many of you ATSers practice a martial art and what type of martial art is practised and what infulenced you to do it?

I did Aikido for about 15 or so years starting when I was at school and taught for a couple of years later on. I also did a bit of Kendo and got my younger brother into it, he was the junior British champ for a few years running, hes now training in many martial arts and has his first Muay Thai fight in September.

Im not looking for which system is best, but if you want to post reasons for why you think a certain style is better for YOU, then feel free. I just wanted to hear about your experiences and what style(s) you practice.

Mods - if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it!

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have practiced Taekwando for many years now. I am a second degree blackbelt and placed second in the 2003 national championships :wink:

the reason i got into it was because i was always interested in that kind of thing. Also like most kids i just thought it was a cool thing to do. I still find value in it and i think that overall participating in a martial art has helped me grow as an individual

[edit on 29-6-2006 by captinofcats]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
been doing muay thai for about 8 months now, i started doing it to get fitter mainly but of course you learn how to defend yourself which is a bonus.

i chose muay thai because it isnt especially fancy, it utilises all your limbs and is very pratical and useful if u do get in a confrontation with someone. im only 18 atm so ive got plenty of time yet but i do wanna learn a few different styles, brazilian ju jitsu looks interesting to me, as does wing chun.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
cap' I would have to agree with you, I think practicing a martial art, if its taught well, helps a person find themselves, thats why I started Aikido. My parents moved a lot when I was younger, so I went to quite a few schools and started getting into fights. A friend of mine asked if I was interested in joining his Aikido club, I did and it changed my outlook on life for the better I think. What I didnt realise at the time was he was helping me to deal with my anger management!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I take shaolin every monday night
. Its alot of fun and great exercise

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
thesaints are you sure your not my brother, you sound just like him and hes the same age!!! lol

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I tried a great many styles from Tae Quan-Do to Japanese style Karate. In the end, I found myself through Aikido.

I also enjoyed Ju-jitsu quite a bit.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hi Zedd, Great to see theres another Aikidoka here, how long have you practised for and which style of Aikido do you do??

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
pretty sure i aint your brother Kurokage, as im an only child

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I just started my first year of wrestling. Hard conditioning. I'm hoping I can find some Muay Thai classes around my area.

Also when I was about 10 I did Shotokan, did that til I was about 12. Didn't really like Shotokan that much though cause it wasn't very agressive.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Striker122]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Wow Thesaints, your from Birmingham, hadnt noticed before. My brother and I are now live in Redditch but are both Brummies, where do you train???

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I train Brazilian ju jitsu but i've been out the last 10 weeks waiting on my knee surgery. I'll be back to training the second i'm cleared.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
Hi Zedd, Great to see theres another Aikidoka here, how long have you practised for and which style of Aikido do you do??

Aikido Schools of Ueshiba is the style. Been in it about 11 years. I train on the west coast of the USA but have attended many seminars under Saotome Sensei, a direct disciple of the founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
i train at k-star in birmingham city centre.

heres their website if your interested.

www.k-starthai.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Im old, fat, and out of shape now, but back when I was a youngling I did. I practiced Shaolin Kempo Karate, achieving the respectable rank of 3rd degree Brown Belt.

Ended up doing a little work around the studio for free lessons. I hosted some sparring classes and did many of the group lessons for kids.

Ill tell you, I wish I never stopped, I was in the best shape of my life then. I have a kid now, I think when he is 5 or so Ill get him started, maybe even get motivated enough to go back myself…

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I learned Tae Kwon Doe while I was younger. I'm glad I know the skills, but I figured all those fancy ninja moves are quite useless in a real street fight. So I switched to boxing just for the straight up punches and jabs.

I got interested in Systema by watching videos over the internets. I find it particularly fascinating how they can grab a weapon out of the hands of their opponents.

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I boxed for the army when i was in the military police, and dabbled with Aikido for a while.

Quickly found out that many martial arts are crap in a real life fight so i find that no rules wins 9 times out of 10. That said, the times ive had to deal with trouble in public, it's been handy using the Aikido techniques because rarely have i had to hurt someone in order to control them, therefore eliminating the hassle you face in the UK if you injure your attacker!:bnghd:

Martial arts are great, but just don't rely on them for every situation.

CX.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
My main skill is Akido, I found it worked really well in this day and age and i enjoyed it as i found that is was something you could use,

I found other karates more about the style rather than the prtection and defence,

I also studied Maranian allsports karate from a child,

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
I learned Tae Kwon Doe while I was younger. I'm glad I know the skills, but I figured all those fancy ninja moves are quite useless in a real street fight. So I switched to boxing just for the straight up punches and jabs.

I got interested in Systema by watching videos over the internets. I find it particularly fascinating how they can grab a weapon out of the hands of their opponents.

Systema all the way!!!!!!!! I weightlift, box and kick a punching bag, and watch videos of Systema. I am hoping to start learning Systema in a year or so. I also like boxing. I punch many things to keep my knuckles strong, also. I punch metal walls, and hope to get some bricks which I will try to break with my bare fists (never tried it before) I kick the punching bag, and do different punches, strong ones, and light ones. I pack quit a punch. I havn't been in a fight in more then half a year, but I think if I were to punch someone, I'd probably do serious damage to the skull or worse.(yes, I punch very hard and owe it mostly to punching metal walls. After you punch metal walls for 2 years and hit someone's face, it feels like a pillow!) Again, Systema is on my to-do list. I am gonna buy a new punching bag sometime this week. I also practice with my homeboys. We punch each other and do block and punch and block and kick and block. Systema is the only martial art that interests me and I will dedicate alot of my time learning and perfecting it

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
thanks for all your replies, its cool to see how many people are interested in martial arts.

Hey Russian Soldier dont take this the wrong way, but punching metal walls will end up giving you arthritis and damaging the tendons. Train with a bag not a wall if you want to be able to pick up that galss of vodka in 10-20 years time.

like most of you here Ive dabbled in a few martial arts over the years, I think it takes time to find something that suits your individual style and what you feel comfortable doing.

I had a very unique sensei who practiced Aikido, Akijustu, boxing and judo. He was also a great swordsman. Hes Aikido was a lot more dynamic, showing the difference between class and street. For all the Akidokas out there whats your favorite technique. Mine is mybe sumi otoshi or iriminage.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join