It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stolen Laptop Recovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The laptop containing vet's data that was stolen has been found.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
For the sake of sharing information with everyone. I hereby initiate this shameless....BUMP.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
For the sake of sharing information with everyone. I hereby initiate this shameless....BUMP.

I know, I don't see why this hasn't been responded to yet. I read the article with at least a bit of interest. The laptop was stolen, now it is found. Enough time I would imagine, to pull all the data off and return it. I'm interested to see exactly what is going to come out of this. I find it alarming that it was stolen, along with all the other data thefts recently. I know there is the thread about all of the people here who have recieved their letters letting them know it happened, but what goes on from there? What intention is there in returning this laptop?

It also seems a little to convenient that during a hearing on the government's security of electronic data, that this announcement was made. Especially after there a delay in reporting the missing laptop in the first place.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
they also said the FBI, checked it an determined nothing was copied....

But can they really tell? aren't there 3rd party programs that copy Direct Images of yer HD without regestering that they were opened?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
what is supposed to be on it, does nay one know. what was the official line

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The laptop contained personal information for thousands of veterans. Leaving them completely vulnurable to identity theft or anything.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
^^^ andy1033,

Personal Data of Nearly ALL Active-Duty, Guard, Reserve and 26.5M vets stolen!

The laptop was stolen back in May and was immediately reported by the individual who had illegally taken it home. However the notification/release to the public didn't take place until almost three weeks later.

Initial reports, that I saw on CNN, were that it had been turned in to the FBI yesterday and they were able to "determine" none of the information had been copied/compromised. ?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yeah. It just doesn't seem to add up. Why would whoever take it not take the information (assuming they're telling the truth) and then return it. Unless they want us to believe something along the lines of "the computer was taken by an unruly teenager who, when he couldn't access the computer, simply returned it". Please. Something stinks.

new topics

top topics

join