It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someway to stop chain reaction

page: 1

join
share:
Fye

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Could you suggest any method possible to limiting neutron movement without using neutron absorber material to prevent chain reaction? Could something that neutrally charged like neutron be jammed?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Nope.

It's not like it's a radio signal carrying information or something, it's a particle, so "jamming" it is not possible.

Emission, capture, and possible subsequent fission are all effects rooted in the basic physics of the nucleus, none of which are amenable to external change.

Fye

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Hmmm.....of course it is.....

Oh, is there still another possible method to limit free neutron movement? One of my friend think that its possible if we somehow manage to hamper the energy for moving so the emitted neutron fall into static, stable, free neutron...but he jokingly said that its only possible if another subatomic particle that hamper particles kinetic energy discovered ^^

Still, Im kinda curious...in the beginning of nuclear physics, such particles like hadron and lepton is not even imaginable....wonder what will waiting for us in the future? ^^

Still.....is that possible?
Silly me

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Well, sure, you want to posit the existence of a phantom particle that somehow absorbs the momentum of a free neutron, no matter what the vector, hey, why not just invent an unknown field that prevents resonance capture? Or one that increases the surface tension of a nucleus? Either of those would work...or, say, we could invent a new particle that stops the motion of electrons in wires, or maybe changes the Poynting vector! This is fun! You could also stop fission by reducing the repulsive force of electric charges in the nucleus. Simple! They do it on ST:TNG every week! "Reverse the polychronon anti-flushback flow polarity to achieve a protonic reversal of the tachyon inverse metaphasic shield, Geordie!" The only sticky part is, it's bs.

But truthfully, you have to say as a fact that we do know enough to make one go "bang". That implies that at least the basic model is pretty close, close enough to predict it and have it happen right on schedule. And that model says "no", along with most of the rest of physics. Maybe it's all wrong, and tomorrow we'll discover it's really all orgones and adelidicnander forces. But I'd say it's about as likely as Joshua ben Nun stopping the rotation of the earth by the power of thought in order to have time to finish up a battle.

Fye

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
*bow*

Truly
Dream is dream ^^

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
To limit a chain reaction, you would need to space out the molecules that are (for lack of a better term) exploding. You can do this by down-grading the purity of the element you're using, or taking away protons from it.

For example, if you had a piece of metal that has half uranium, half lead, it would have a very difficult time creating a chain reaction, since some neutrons wouldn't hit anything, and the ones that do hit would only hit another uranium piece 50% of the time.

My real question, though, is why would you want to know this?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It's an old science fiction canard. Damping nuclear reactions from a distance with the whatsit ray in order to stop nuclear war.

See also:
Empire of the East

Fye

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
My real question, though, is why would you want to know this?

Ahahaha.....simple, to help me think about things, of course
Thank you for your curiosity ^^

Hmm....material modification.....pretty neat one, I think... ^^ Thanks! Thats pretty much close to what I think about ^^

[edit on 30-6-2006 by Fye]

[edit on 30-6-2006 by Fye]

new topics

top topics

join