It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anne Coulter is Misunderstood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
She is really a brilliant satirist, Mr. Swift would be proud.

Two comedic and satirical legends of our time meet

www.latimes.com
Today, of course, "A Modest Proposal" is considered one of the greatest works of political satire in the English language. But isn't that always the way? Comedy is tragedy plus time, which may explain why Ann Coulter, the Cruella De Vil of blond, ectomorphic wonkdom, is getting such a beating by the liberal and (more important) tragically literal mainstream media. Such is the price of being in the cultural vanguard. If you think Swift was cutting-edge, imagine having a wit so dry that even you haven't yet realized you're a satirist.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Absolutely brilliant essay. In addition to the discovery that Ms. Coulter is a deep satirist, the article also contains hints of another mystery of her, thats she's really Mr. Coulter.

And what about those darned Finians anyway, anyone ever solve that problem?

Related News Links:
A Modest Proposal
Anne Coulter, a man?
Anne Coulter Photo Gallery

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Editorial by Anne Coulter, media and Islam.
Ann Coulter Fired (But Deluded as Ever)
Right Wing Hack Coulter Is At It Again..
Is Anne Coulter a man?

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Nygdan]

[edit on 29-6-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Ann Coulter is the class clown of American if her detractors ignore her she will go away . Nobody forces you to listen to Ann or buy her books.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Annie is a goddess. Brilliant in both her observation and literary retort to "lib-speak". The flames from those lush lips burn only the guilty. She vocalized what so many in the radio-right are afraid to whisper.

Ann Coulter is a goddess in the true sense of the word.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Coulter is far from being misunderstood. She makes her message known loud and clear. While her works are bitter and sarcastic, they are certainly not clever. Anyone who happens to disagree with her are ususally called ugly names and shouted down. She certainly doesn't practice civil discourse, either.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ok, i'll take the bait.

Anne Coulter is a legend in her own mind. She spreads hate faster than i can butter my toast- She's not funny- She is merely a warmonger. Its really unbecoming. If she wants attention and comedy, she should go on The Comedy Channel- sort of like The Mind of Coulter...Mencia would win hands down.

She is not very well liked, what with pies thrown at her and all. Booing is always there where she is. People are just not amused by her at all.

She is a disgrace to the office of the presidency and everything America stands for

Miss understood
Miss guided
Miss evil

All liberals should be dead, according to her. That is what our country stands for now?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well, I actually read the links and I laughed hard. i was vaguely familiar with Jonathon Swift's "A modest Proposal" before, but reading that puts a new angle on A.C's vitriol.

If only she knew she was a satarist. . .

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ann Coulter is a 45 year old woman that appeals to the far right wing, her books and column has a special place for people that she seems to please.

Ann Coulter lives in a world that she has created and that his followers support she truly believes what she says.

Ann Coulter believes in a one party government controlled by Far Right Republicans.

Ann Coulter believes that a leader should have not restrictions upon its powers and that the other branches of government should mean nothing.

Even when she is or considers herself part of the media she do not believe in freedom of speech unless is to support the far right.

For Ann Coulter is only one earth and one nation the US of the world.

No wonder Bush loves her.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
wow,

I'm starting to like her now.
She may be abrasive, but she is pretty good at arguing her POV.

During the Leno Interview, I noticed that George might have a little crush on her.
I think I may know why..

Whats with the thread tag?
"hermaphroditic satire?" LOL

I can't tell you how many times I was looking for threads of said topic!

[edit on 7-7-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Marg,

In other words, she believes in Dictatorship. Bush as dictator, to be precise.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Ann is completely brilliant. Yes, she's over the top, but she is half serious/half joking. She makes extreme statements that have a bit of truth in them to make a point.

I love her.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Yes, she's over the top, but she is half serious/half joking.

Are you serious???? I don't think anyone is laughing except for when they laugh AT her/him.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anfro

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Yes, she's over the top, but she is half serious/half joking.

Are you serious???? I don't think anyone is laughing except for when they laugh AT her/him.

She's a MAN, baby!

Seriously though. Adams apple. Hello?

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I DON'T LIKE HER AT ALL. You how much s*** she said about black people screw her and may she burn in hell. I believe in free speech and all that but she just garbage OK. I hate alot she tell and talk about her opinion but I can't stand her!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega

She's a MAN, baby!

Seriously though. Adams apple. Hello?

I think it's been said before, but if they've got an apple, chances are they've got a banana, too.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by fingapointa

I think it's been said before, but if they've got an apple, chances are they've got a banana, too.

omg I cracked up at this one...I definitely have to remember that line in the future, so thanks very much.

Oh, crud, I can't reply with just an lol or a similarly 2dminensional response... rules and whatnot... hmmmm... Well, I guess I'll take this moment to apologize for those who may have been attracted to the... person in question. Didn't mean to burst any bubbles or break any bana...bananarama tapes! Could I borrow them, please?

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Ann Coulter is a slightly more erudite example of the same basic phenomenon as Rush Limbaugh, and both of them were prefigured by Father Coughlin in the 1930s. Among "conservative" writers, Coulter and Limbaugh are in a separate category from the likes of William F. Buckley, Jr. and George Will, who seem addicted to the passe mental activity of logic.

Coulter, far more modern and up to date in her approach, knows that her audience doesn't want logic, but only well-articulated noise capable of reinforcing their basic prejudices and drowning out ideas that might spark cognitive dissonance, or even -- horror of horrors -- get them thinking. Can't have that!

She will never convince anyone of anything they don't already fervently believe, noise being incapable of persuasion, but that's not the point. The point is to insulate the true believers from the danger of apostasy by making the opposition, not "wrong" (that's the approach of the right-wing logic parsers), but ridiculous. Not only is this more effective than reason among a certain type of dittoheaded conservative who is, frankly, incapable of following a logical argument, but it is also more economical. It takes a really sharp, clever conservative to construct a logical argument against liberalism that will hold up under scrutiny. But anyone with a little gift of gab and some major audacity can act as if the point were already made, without actually making it.

Given what H.L. Mencken said about the intelligence of the American people (including, though not limited to, its right-wing portion), she probably does fill a niche.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Ok, i'll take the bait.

Me too.

All liberals should be dead, according to her.

I agree with her, on a thin, semantic level. But hear me out. When i say "should" I don't mean to say "in a perfect world, all of the liberals would be dead". I mean "all liberals should be dead".

Like if somebody went hunting with Dick Cheney and came back alive, you'd say, "Dude, you should be DEAD".

In light of a select few positions which I feel liberals might be better off to abandon, I sometimes marvel at the life expectancy they manage to enjoy.

Some of them want to take guns away from rednecks- that can get you killed.

Some of them are unreasonably sympathetic towards violent felons- that can get you killed.

Some of them are Kennedys- that can get you killed.

Ann Coulter really IS misunderstood, you see? He (not a typo) simply has a sense of humor that makes Tommy Lee Jones look slapstick.

And HE is not alone either. I know plenty of people who had to read twice to figure out that Swift was being sarcastic, and I even know somebody who claims to read 1984 as a Utopia (although it is not lost upon him at least that it was not intended to be read that way).

top topics

join