It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justices say Bush went too far at Guantanamo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 8 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that President Bush overstepped his authority in creating military war crimes trials for Guantanamo Bay detainees, a rebuke to the administration and its aggressive anti-terror policies.

Justice John Paul Stevens wrote the opinion, which said the proposed trials were illegal under U.S. law and the Geneva Convention.

What a blow. Comments?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Justice John Paul Stevens wrote the opinion, which said the proposed trials were illegal under U.S. law and the Geneva Convention.

Finally! The place is blatantly illegal and anyone with a brain in their head that thinks for itself knows that. Close it down, now.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Agreed. Bush will be on the air with his comments soon.

TOTAL POWER. NOT.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Only the method of trial is being questioned here guys, not the prison itself. Don’t mislead what the story is about.

The title is misleading; the story does not support such a general statement.

Im dizzy from the spin...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Oh but gee "Heil Bush" has such a nice ring to it.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Skippy, the tittle is not my own- its from MSNBC. Anyhow, it is a start in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Skippy, the tittle is not my own- its from MSNBC. Anyhow, it is a start in the right direction.

Either way, it does not represent the story accuratly.

Although I may not support the trial policy implimented there, but I support having the camp 100%. When you are battling the devil himself, you need a place to keep the ones you didn’t kill. And Gitmo is perfect for it. It’s also a model facility with standards higher than almost any other detainment or jail on the planet.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Its a check on the governments power and i am glad. In our system we still have check and balances and that makes me proud today.

They wont be set free- they will be tried in different ways, to be sure.

Congress will see to it Bush gets what his heart desires. His lap dogs.

Have no fear: A CONGRESSIONAL BLESSING IS ON ITS WAY.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
When you are battling the devil himself, you need a place to keep the ones you didn’t kill. And Gitmo is perfect for it. It’s also a model facility with standards higher than almost any other detainment or jail on the planet.

When you are battling the Devil himself? Please, don't make me regurgitate luncheon on my keyboard. We are the Devil, not them.

Why is that sinister creature in your Avatar?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

When you are battling the devil himself, you need a place to keep the ones you didn’t kill. And Gitmo is perfect for it. It’s also a model facility with standards higher than almost any other detainment or jail on the planet.

The devil being???
A. Emperor Palpetine
B. G.W. Bush
C. Bugaloo Shrimp
D. A mythological entity created by an administration that aims to

"In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society."

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hier another Link

About time that something happens in this farce of people being imprisoned.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have to agree. the use of Gitmo itself is not an issue.

But as I have maintained, I remain troubled by the lack of due process surrounding these ?terrorists?. Charge them and detain them if evidence supports it. But to leave them in jail without charges for thier rest of thier lives has bothered me from the beginning

If we cannot follow our own laws are we any better?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The “devil” we are fighting are the INTOLERANT religious fanatics, in this example extreme Muslims, who stop at nothing to impose their will on anything in their path. These cowards lie, cheat, torture, murder babies, kids, women, elderly, and anybody with absolute indifference. They actually prefer to kill babies and women as they don’t shoot back.

Absolute savages with no regard for human life in any way shape or form, they are the definition of evil in every sense of the word.

The west incurs civilian casualties as an unfortunate side effect of war, but these terrorist demons kill civilians as a purposeful tactic of terror and brutality. Believe in my god or I will cut off your head, and your babies head. Then they will kill all of your family members at your funeral while they grieve. Then take the corpses and fill them with explosives for the people who show up at the scene to help. SAVAGES!

You guys always seem to forget that not just anybody goes to Gitmo, the people were caught ACTIVLY attacking or murdering people, or at the very least supporting these murderers. Nobody is at Gitmo for spreading flowers and cotton candy. Just because they haven’t been given proper process YET, they really do deserve to be there awaiting it. Believe anything else at your own peril. The “iffy” or petty terrorists don’t go to Gitmo; they stay at local detainment facilities.

So you guys may bleed your hearts all you want, in the mean time I will be hoping that each and every one of those animals get what’s coming to them.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The “devil” we are fighting are the INTOLERANT religious fanatics, in this example extreme Muslims, who stop at nothing to impose their will on anything in their path. These cowards lie, cheat, torture, murder babies, kids, women, elderly, and anybody with absolute indifference. They actually prefer to kill babies and women as they don’t shoot back.

And US president doesn't LIE?

And US goverment does not CHEAT?

And US does not TORTURE in Detention camps?

And US warplanes did NOT kill Babies, Kids, Women, Elderly with their "smart bombs"?

And US Marines don't kill little babies and women when they storm houses, to Revenge their fallen friend?

Hey, looks to me like the US goverment are also INTOLERANT FANTATICS - but with Lots of Money and Power.

Who's the Devil now?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
in the real world bush can do what ever he wants. he will just take those people some where else.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Skippy, nice to see you've bought into the full fear bonus pack. Should'nt really suprise me , we Americans have been sold many a bill of goods in the past. We're avid consumers.....aren't we?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
AAAAHHHHHH!

You are killing me!

The US is the DEVIL???!!!!

Let me guess. Most of you saying this is a great day that BUSH,AMERICA whatever has been slapped down. You said on 9/11. "The US got what it deserved."

You are not realizing someting. The Supreme Court just signed a treaty with AL -Quieda. WHo will slap them down for their presumption?

We just applied US law to non-citizens captured in a battlefield situation. WHere has that happened before?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
US Spupreme Court declares the President to be behaving illegally.

Basically the Judges think that Bush is like a dictator, i.e. acting when he has no power to act.

George Bush is the first US President to be condemned in a time of war.

All over the world he brings shame on Americans.

US Supreme Court today said that President had authorised Pentagon to set up these fake trials for the 400 men at Guantanamo Bay, when he actually had no right to do so. These trial could not be against the US Constitution, nor against the Geneva Convention which the US signed. President cannot decided to overule these two legal documents.

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by YIAWETA
Skippy, nice to see you've bought into the full fear bonus pack. Should'nt really suprise me , we Americans have been sold many a bill of goods in the past. We're avid consumers.....aren't we?

I fear what I need to fear. I am smart enough to know what’s a line of BS from my government and what’s not. I also didn’t vote for Dubya, so don’t waste any effort trying to get to me by insulting him and his cohorts.

You guys have all succumbed to the media and their sole agenda of selling news. They report what gets you to pay attention to them, and if they can’t find a story they make one up. But what many of you have taken as fact hook line and sinker is nothing but media sensationalism. They own you.

But you do yourself a favor, you go and talk to some soldiers, any soldiers, it doesn’t matter who or where. Just make sure to talk to as many as you can, because what they have to say is nothing even remotely close to what you guys have bought at full face value. And these guys actually know. They aren’t your agenda driven spin doctors that never leave the green zone.

These Gitmo detainee’s are bad news, and they are there for a reason. Should they get a fair trial? Of course. But don’t ever question why they are there, you don’t get to Gitmo for being a nice person.

Try this: Go to any prison in the world and ask the inmates if they are treated well and if they are guilty. What percentage do you think will say they are actually guilty and treated well?

But all this actual logic is moot, as you guys want so bad to believe anything negative about the USA all you need to do is hear it once. When you have the hate that some of you have, its no surprise that you are so easy to believe when it suits your hatred…

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The west incurs civilian casualties as an unfortunate side effect of war, but these terrorist demons kill civilians as a purposeful tactic of terror and brutality. Believe in my god or I will cut off your head, and your babies head. Then they will kill all of your family members at your funeral while they grieve. Then take the corpses and fill them with explosives for the people who show up at the scene to help. SAVAGES!

You guys always seem to forget that not just anybody goes to Gitmo, the people were caught ACTIVLY attacking or murdering people, or at the very least supporting these murderers. Nobody is at Gitmo for spreading flowers and cotton candy. Just because they haven’t been given proper process YET, they really do deserve to be there awaiting it. Believe anything else at your own peril. The “iffy” or petty terrorists don’t go to Gitmo; they stay at local detainment facilities.

What you just said is bonafide conjecture and somewhat close to the border of "lying for cover". It's not fact. You do not even have one nanomolecule of a clue regarding the status of all of these prisoners. It seems like you already decided to believe what you want to believe just because our govt locked them up. To me that's dangerous slippery slope down that hill. What you just said in this whole last paragraph is what is appropriately called "Christening one to be a expert"

There are innocent people at gitmo/ And that's why some have walked and told their story on how they were jailed. Now if you want to play this ethnic prejudice Johnny G.I. game we can do that. But it's not based in reality.

You just basically blew your credibility by generalizing everyone at GIT MO as "Demons" when you don't even have a clue who these people really are. I suggest you get some intel from their backgrounds and see how alot of these inmates were picked up.

P.S. Osama wants you to express these viewpoints and spread this rhetoric like viral infection. He wants you to generalize and despise any arab who takes arms against america and call them "terrorists" It's part of his strategy. He's read Lao Tzu's "Art of War" have you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join