It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember when "Breaking News" was really Breaking News?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I dont know about the rest of you, but i am so tired of the"Chime" and the alerts, which do nothing more than go over what was said 2 minutes ago.

You cant escape it- its all the news networks now. Breaking news is something "new" and important.

I remember when breaking news was that. breaking....
You dropped everything you were doing and you paid attention, because it was something BIG.
This nation is so sensationalist, so out to scare you, so....changed!

It just bothers me that they lie. If you were just talking about the same issue...then you're lying- Its not breaking news. Its re-hashing all over again.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I can only remember a few breaking news stories, and they all involved terrorism, most unfortunately.

The 'best' one was the Russian storming of that school. I was flicking between about 5 or 6 news channels as it happened, catching it from all these different angles. It was incredible. But other than that, it's not very often that new stuff is actually new stuff, sadly enough.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I remember it. When i first signed up at CNN, with every mail i got i
read it instantly. Now i dump it in the trashcan....

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
One day there is going to be some "real" breaking news and nobody will pay attention, because they think its the same B.S. all over again.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
No, I doubt that ATS'rs will let that happen. Perhaps the general public, but personally I am always looking at the news, no matter if I think I've read the same sort of thing somewhere else. I loooove being able to look at something from different angles.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
it isnt just breaking news that is the problem though - whatever happened to the 'real' news.

i long ago gave up watching tv news as im not that much interested in informercials or infortainment, which is all it seem to be nowadays. doesn't anybody remember what real investigative journalism is anymore?

most news now arrives on their desks and is padded out with useless content and comment whilst techno-wizadry dances across the screen to distract you.

ask yourself next time you watch it - is this REALLY news?

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
DING DONG....

AND NOW, for some breaking news...

Japan's PM and president Bush go to Graceland.....

No, duh!!!

Its enough to drive a crazy person crazier.....

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Great topic, Dg! I've been conditioned over the years to pay attention because something of national importance will be announced; now it's "A POSSIBLE...carjacking, flood, fire, kidnapping, accident, shooting, evacuation...in some small town somewhere, thousands of miles away. Now, yes, while personally tragic and my heart goes out to the victims, these are not of national import. News has become so tabloid in nature, that I don't even bother to read the tabloid headlines while I'm waiting in line at the grocery store--I've heard it all on the "news" already
!

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I wouldn't know. I don't watch television news. It's just plain garbage. I get all my news from the newspaper and the internet, mostly ATS and my google homepage. Justyc pretty much took the words right out of my mouth, so see above.

top topics

join